Posted to users@myfaces.apache.org by Cabbar Duzayak <ca...@gmail.com> on 2005/12/02 02:16:31 UTC

MyFaces for production?

Hi,

I have been considering using MyFaces for a site that I am working on.
Although it looks promising, I am not sure about its performance and
stability. Has any of you used myfaces for a live site? Can you please
share your experience in regards to performance, stability and
scalability? Are there too many bugs/errors/etc? Basically, is it
reasonable to use myfaces for production, or should I wait for a while
more before it proves itself?

Thanks...

Re: MyFaces for production?

Posted by Werner Punz <we...@gmx.at>.
Francesco Consumi wrote:

> Performance is good, we have only some problem with
> http://www.istitutodeglinnocenti.it, our main site, that somewhere locks
> java process at 100% of cpu, but we're investigating....

Interesting, I never have had that issue, with now two big JSF programs
an a number
of small internal hacks.
My guess is that there is some deadlock in the app code, to my knowledge
MyFaces does not have any isse in this area.

Re: MyFaces for production?

Posted by Francesco Consumi <co...@istitutodeglinnocenti.it>.
Quoting Werner Punz <we...@gmx.at>:

> Cabbar Duzayak wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have been considering using MyFaces for a site that I am working on.
>> Although it looks promising, I am not sure about its performance and
>> stability. Has any of you used myfaces for a live site? Can you please
>> share your experience in regards to performance, stability and
>> scalability? Are there too many bugs/errors/etc? Basically, is it
>> reasonable to use myfaces for production, or should I wait for a while
>> more before it proves itself?

We are using JSF for our new sites and intranet apps since two years,
and the result is good. Our last opera is
http://sql.minori.it:8080/primus2, officially presented last week,
completely build in JSF, with some ajax use.

--
Francesco Consumi
Ufficio Sistemi informativi
consumi at istitutodeglinnocenti.it
Tel. +39 055 2037320
ICQ# 12516133

Re: MyFaces for production?

Posted by Werner Punz <we...@gmx.at>.
Cabbar Duzayak wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have been considering using MyFaces for a site that I am working on.
> Although it looks promising, I am not sure about its performance and
> stability. Has any of you used myfaces for a live site? Can you please
> share your experience in regards to performance, stability and
> scalability? Are there too many bugs/errors/etc? Basically, is it
> reasonable to use myfaces for production, or should I wait for a while
> more before it proves itself?
>
> Thanks...

Given, that it is not a huge installation, I have been using MyFaces
1.0.9 for an intranet installation with around 40 users doing work
constantly (it sort of was an address collection system where people had
to add contacts manually for legal reasons)

1.0.9 had its fair number of bugs, but no showstoppers, given that the
1.1.1 release has fixed most if not all of which I have encountered, it
would have been easier.

Performance problems were exactly zero on the system, the app server
never spiked higher than 1-2%.

The main problem you might face is the automatic usage of http post,
javascripts for command link (which you can bypass by using commandButton)
and that ajax is sort of problematic once you hit the jsf backend and
have to do some dom/jsf component tree sync.

If none of that is an issue, go for it. The code compared to plain html
on the frontend side is much compacter (I currently migrate legacy code
to jsf, and at the header of my layout I yesterday got a code reduction
from 200 locs down to 20)
and the backend component tree gives a huge flexibility you wont get in
other frameworks or pure html that easily.
(I recently wrote some security code which automatically hides
components on the fly, it basically was a loop over the component tree
with a sync into a security matrix, none of that was in the jsp itself
and the core loop was 4 lines of code)