Posted to user@struts.apache.org by sol myr <so...@yahoo.com> on 2007/08/20 12:27:09 UTC

Struts2: should we use Tiles or Sitemesh?

Hi,

  We're just migrating to Struts2, and we're trying to decide between Tiles and Sitemesh.
  We've noticed that struts distribution (2.0.9) includes jars for both frameworks.

  Could anyone please tell if one of them is recommended over the other, or serves as "standard de-facto" for Struts2 ?

  Does one of them have better functionality, better design, better fit to the Struts2 architecture, etc?
  And would you happen to know if they're both still in active development?

  Thanks a lot.

---------------------------------

Re: Struts2: should we use Tiles or Sitemesh?

Posted by Mike Baroukh <mb...@cardiweb.com>.
I would choose sitemesh too beacause I found it more powerful, but I
would not choose it for speed !
I think that jsp includes are a lost more fast than page parsing ...

--

Mike Baroukh

---
Cardiweb  - 31 Rue de Mogador Paris IXeme
06 63 57 27 22 - 01 53 21 82 63 - Jabber: mbaroukh@jabber.org
http://www.cardiweb.com
---

Re: Struts2: should we use Tiles or Sitemesh?

Posted by Ray Clough <ra...@allthisisthat.com>.
You might also consider Tiles-2 but not using the S2 plugin.  Then you aren't
limited by the need to declare the <result type=""> attribute.  This leaves
you free to do other things with the 'type', like jsf, for instance.

- Ray Clough

Re: Struts2: should we use Tiles or Sitemesh - Big Thanx!

Posted by sol myr <so...@yahoo.com>.
Thanks so much for the detailed replies to my tiles/sitemesh question.
  Two thumbs up to this forum, and thanks for taking the time to share this useful information.
  :)

  Sol

---------------------------------
Boardwalk for $500? In 2007? Ha!

Re: Struts2: should we use Tiles or Sitemesh?

Posted by Jeromy Evans <je...@blueskyminds.com.au>.

Posted by Alvaro Sanchez-Mariscal <al...@gmail.com>.
My recommendation is sitemesh. Absolutly.

Sitemesh uses servlet filters to decorate pages (faster), while tiles
uses jsp includes (slower).

Alvaro.

On 8/20/07, sol myr <so...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>   We're just migrating to Struts2, and we're trying to decide between Tiles and Sitemesh.
>   We've noticed that struts distribution (2.0.9) includes jars for both frameworks.
>
>   Could anyone please tell if one of them is recommended over the other, or serves as "standard de-facto" for Struts2 ?
>
>   Does one of them have better functionality, better design, better fit to the Struts2 architecture, etc?
>   And would you happen to know if they're both still in active development?
>
>   Thanks a lot.

> Sick sense of humor? Visit Yahoo! TV's Comedy with an Edge to see what's on, when.

--
Alvaro Sanchez-Mariscal Arnaiz
Java EE Architect & Instructor