Posted to dev@pdfbox.apache.org by Harrison Kim <ha...@gmail.com> on 2016/06/23 17:30:40 UTC

FDF file import questions

I am in need of filling out a PDF form via FDF file using the command line
on Amazon Linux distro. Is your software capable of doing this?

I had been using PDFtk to accomplish this, but there is no support for
libcgj on amazon linux. Thank you

Re: FDF file import questions

Posted by Tilman Hausherr <TH...@t-online.de>.
Am 23.06.2016 um 19:30 schrieb Harrison Kim:
> I am in need of filling out a PDF form via FDF file using the command line
> on Amazon Linux distro. Is your software capable of doing this?

Please try the ImportFDF.java program in the tools package. Source code
below. Btw, next time please post to the user mailing list. dev is for
PDFBox devs.

/*
  * Licensed to the Apache Software Foundation (ASF) under one or more
  * contributor license agreements.  See the NOTICE file distributed with
  * this work for additional information regarding copyright ownership.
  * The ASF licenses this file to You under the Apache License, Version 2.0
  * (the "License"); you may not use this file except in compliance with
  * the License.  You may obtain a copy of the License at
  *
  *      http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0
  *
  * limitations under the License.
  */
package org.apache.pdfbox.tools;

import java.io.File;
import java.io.IOException;

import org.apache.pdfbox.pdmodel.PDDocument;
import org.apache.pdfbox.pdmodel.PDDocumentCatalog;
import org.apache.pdfbox.pdmodel.fdf.FDFDocument;
import org.apache.pdfbox.pdmodel.interactive.form.PDAcroForm;

/**
  * This example will take a PDF document and fill the fields with data
from the
  * FDF fields.
  *
  * @author Ben Litchfield
  */
public class ImportFDF
{
     /**
      * Creates a new instance of ImportFDF.
      */
     public ImportFDF()
     {
     }

     /**
      * This will takes the values from the fdf document and import them
into the
      * PDF document.
      *
      * @param pdfDocument The document to put the fdf data into.
      * @param fdfDocument The FDF document to get the data from.
      *
      * @throws IOException If there is an error setting the data in the
field.
      */
     public void importFDF( PDDocument pdfDocument, FDFDocument
fdfDocument ) throws IOException
     {
         PDDocumentCatalog docCatalog = pdfDocument.getDocumentCatalog();
         PDAcroForm acroForm = docCatalog.getAcroForm();
         if (acroForm == null)
         {
             return;
         }
         acroForm.setCacheFields( true );
         acroForm.importFDF( fdfDocument );

         //TODO this can be removed when we create appearance streams
         acroForm.setNeedAppearances(true);
     }

     /**
      * This will import an fdf document and write out another pdf.
      * <br />
      * see usage() for commandline
      *
      * @param args command line arguments
      *
      * @throws IOException If there is an error importing the FDF document.
      */
     public static void main(String[] args) throws IOException
     {
         // suppress the Dock icon on OS X
         System.setProperty("apple.awt.UIElement", "true");

         ImportFDF importer = new ImportFDF();
         importer.importFDF( args );
     }

     private void importFDF( String[] args ) throws IOException
     {
         PDDocument pdf = null;
         FDFDocument fdf = null;

         try
         {
             if( args.length != 3 )
             {
                 usage();
             }
             else
             {
                 ImportFDF importer = new ImportFDF();

                 pdf = PDDocument.load( new File(args[0]) );
                 fdf = FDFDocument.load( args[1] );
                 importer.importFDF( pdf, fdf );

                 pdf.save( args[2] );
             }
         }
         finally
         {
             close( fdf );
             close( pdf );
         }
     }

     /**
      * This will print out a message telling how to use this example.
      */
     private static void usage()
     {
         System.err.println( "usage: org.apache.pdfbox.tools.ImportFDF
<pdf-file> <fdf-file> <output-file>" );
         System.exit(1);
     }

     /**
      * Close the document.
      *
      * @param doc The doc to close.
      *
      * @throws IOException If there is an error closing the document.
      */
     public void close( FDFDocument doc ) throws IOException
     {
         if( doc != null )
         {
             doc.close();
         }
     }

     /**
      * Close the document.
      *
      * @param doc The doc to close.
      *
      * @throws IOException If there is an error closing the document.
      */
     public void close( PDDocument doc ) throws IOException
     {
         if( doc != null )
         {
             doc.close();