Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Kamal Bhatt <kb...@tt.com.au> on 2008/06/10 06:07:02 UTC

Re: XSP block

I am not really a committer to Cocoon, but I was wondering about this
whole JXtemplates + Flowscript replaces XSPs advice. I feel that
JXTemplates + Flowscript is a poor substitute. Here are my reasons why:

1. It leads to an explosion in pipelines. Instead of one pipeline, you
now have 2 (at least)
2. There is so much that isn't easily ported to a JXTemplates +
flowscript environment. For example, there is no analogy to xsp:element.
3. No analogous functionality to the esql logicsheet. You basically have
to create your own and for simple queries, this can quickly become a hassle.

I have put my hand up for (2), and when I find some time I will look
into it. I cannot see any way of rectifying (3), which is unfortnate
because I suspect that is the biggest reason why people will not move
away from XSPs. As for (1), I was wondering if anyone has thought of
creating an extension to JXTemplates to support a new style of template.
One where you can specify a javascript/Java/Ruby/whatever at the top and
the presentation after that. For example, something like this:

<Template>
  <Flow>
    <Javascript>
      return({content : "123"});
    </Javascript>
   </Flow>
   <Presentation>
     <some_content>
       <jx:out value="${content}"/>
     </some_content>
   </Presentation>
</Template>

Is this possible? In some cases, I think this will be a neat solution as
you still have a clear separation between logic and presentation, but
you don't need to open three separate files to see what is going on.
Also, I don't see this as a replacement for flowscript, just another
tool in the toolbox that is Cocoon.

Anyway, my 2c.

--
Kamal Bhatt

Re: XSP block

Posted by Antonio Gallardo <ag...@agssa.net>.
This is a thread that for time to time is being discussed. See:

http://markmail.org/message/uzilvg4ww35nmegk

Quoting from my mail in the thread:

"As an "old" XSP user I think XSP is good for some rapid prototyping and
for some small sites (Matthew and Carsten book stated about it clearly).
The problems using XSP in webapp I painfull learned while working with
it. :-( "

Best Regards,

Antonio Gallardo.