Posted to c-dev@xerces.apache.org by Boris Kolpackov <bo...@codesynthesis.com> on 2007/08/21 18:04:00 UTC

Xerces-C++ 2.8.0 release candidate 1

Hi,

Release candidate 1 for the upcoming Xerces-C++ 2.8.0 release
is available for testing:

http://people.apache.org/builds/xerces/c/xerces-c-src_2_8_0_rc1.zip

http://people.apache.org/builds/xerces/c/xerces-c-src_2_8_0_rc1.tar.gz

SHA1 checksums for the files:

a168db771ae510ac511ac15d9c56e03522b9a23f  xerces-c-src_2_8_0_rc1.zip
ac8cd373cd170caebb48de6870affcf72f7d12db  xerces-c-src_2_8_0_rc1.tar.gz

I encourage everybody to download and test it with various platforms,
compilers, and applications. The cut-off day for reporting problems
is next Tuesday, August the 28th with the release planned for Friday,
August the 31th.

Besides a large number of bug fixes, this release has the following
new features, mainly in the build system:

* Support for 64 bit Windows builds.

* Project files for VC8.

* Optimized DOM parsing (25-30% improvement).

* Verbose make mode (make VERBOSE=1).

* Support for g++ on AIX and HP-UX.

* Support for static library building (runConfigure -s option).

Note that the documentation in this release candidate hasn't been
updated. The documentation changed will be completed before the
release.

Thanks,
Boris

--
Boris Kolpackov
Code Synthesis Tools CC

Re: Xerces-C++ 2.8.0 release candidate 1

Posted by Boris Kolpackov <bo...@codesynthesis.com>.
Hi Charles,

Charles McLouth <cm...@perforce.com> writes:

> I ran the simple samples (both with and without static link) of DOMPrint
> and DOMCount on one of the sample documents and they worked OK.  Hardly
> what I would call rigorous testing, but certainly enough to prove that it
> would build, link, and run.

Great! I suspected there was a toolchain problem in my setup and
this confirms it.

Thanks,
Boris

Posted by Charles McLouth <cm...@perforce.com>.
I ran the simple samples (both with and without static link) of DOMPrint and
DOMCount on one of the sample documents and they worked OK.  Hardly what I would
call rigorous testing, but certainly enough to prove that it would build, link,
and run.

I haven't used cygwin because mingw-msys has all of the gnu shell tools I need,
plus the compiler for "playing" with xerces.

Best Regards,

charlie

Posted by Boris Kolpackov <bo...@codesynthesis.com>.
Hi Charles,

Posted by Charles McLouth <cm...@perforce.com>.
Hi

Posted by Boris Kolpackov <bo...@codesynthesis.com>.
Hi Jay,

Jay Berkenbilt <ej...@ql.org> writes:

>  * Readme.html, in the comment, refers the reader to a non-existent
>    URL and, in the java script, to a non-existent local URL (but see
>    next point).

I think http://xml.apache.org/xerces-c/build.html exist (though it
needs to be changes, so thanks for bringing it up).

>  * The doc/html directory is almost empty.  Isn't it supposed to be
>    populated with generated documentation in the downloaded
>    distribution?  The xerces 2.7.0 distribution contained html files
>    in doc/html, including doc/html/index.html.

As I mentioned in the announcement, the documentation hasn't been
updated yet. In the final release this will be addressed.

> Otherwise, I was able to build packages that seemed to work fine when
> I replaced the xerces 2.7.0 packages with them.

Great, thanks for testing!

-Boris

Posted by Scott Cantor <ca...@osu.edu>.
> What is the link for the download? I needed a VS2005 build and used the
> source download.

That's all there is.

> Converting the 7.1 project, I was able to build, but
> then faced a couple of adoption issues (so far).

Somebody can donate VC8 makefiles once we have a final RC, or I can supply
some.

-- Scott

RE: Xerces-C++ 2.8.0 release candidate 1

Posted by Valentin Vachev <vv...@camstar.com>.
Boris,

Thank you! No problems with the compile. I have adoption problems, ~ 15
linker errors. Seem to be from the compiler not allowing some argument
conversions that used to work with the previous version. I have a few
left to resolve.

Valentin

Posted by Boris Kolpackov <bo...@codesynthesis.com>.
Hi Valentin,

Posted by Valentin Vachev <vv...@camstar.com>.
What is the link for the download? I needed a VS2005 build and used the
source download. Converting the 7.1 project, I was able to build, but
then faced a couple of adoption issues (so far). I am also upgrading
from 2.6. I would like to try the 2.8 release candidate before going
more deeply into the adoption problems.

Valentin (vvachev@camstar.com)

> I encourage everybody to download and test it with various platforms,
> compilers, and applications. The cut-off day for reporting problems
> is next Tuesday, August the 28th with the release planned for Friday,
> August the 31th.

I was trying to create debian packages for these (I am the debian
xerces maintainer), and I noticed a few minor issues:

Posted by Jay Berkenbilt <ej...@ql.org>.

Posted by Scott Cantor <ca...@osu.edu>.
As I surmised, the spec file is, to put it mildly, still fubar.

I'll create a new bug to track the issues I don't see in the database, but I
did find one that is:

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/XERCESC-1506

(Trivial fix.)

The remainder are basically complete failure for 64-bit builds. The spec
file does "work" on x86_64 Linux since it does a 32-bit build, but that
isn't really what people need from it.

Issue created for this here:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/XERCESC-1740

(If the spec file isn't considered "core" to the release, it should be
marked as such or deleted from subversion so people don't mistake this for a
supported file. Other dependent projects could then maintain one as they see
fit.)

As a separate matter, I will volunteer to go through the database and if
there are any Build bugs that are on platforms I have to support, I'll try
to provide fixes if I can reproduce the issues.

-- Scott

Re: Xerces-C++ 2.8.0 release candidate 1

Posted by Gareth Reakes <ga...@parthcomp.com>.
Sorry, don't think the email I sent from is subscribed.

Gareth

Gareth Reakes wrote:
> Hey,
>
>     Did not really want to start he vote until we see if the RC is OK!
> Hard for me to say if I want a release until I see user feedback on the
> RC. Intend to start vote next week and it will of course be complete
> before we release.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Gareth
>

> Michael Glavassevich wrote:
>> Hi Boris,
>>
>> Boris Kolpackov <bo...@codesynthesis.com> wrote on 08/21/2007 12:04:00
>> PM:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Release candidate 1 for the upcoming Xerces-C++ 2.8.0 release
>>> is available for testing:
>>>

>>> http://people.apache.org/builds/xerces/c/xerces-c-src_2_8_0_rc1.zip
>>>

>>> http://people.apache.org/builds/xerces/c/xerces-c-src_2_8_0_rc1.tar.gz
>>>

>>> SHA1 checksums for the files:
>>>
>>> a168db771ae510ac511ac15d9c56e03522b9a23f  xerces-c-src_2_8_0_rc1.zip
>>> ac8cd373cd170caebb48de6870affcf72f7d12db  xerces-c-src_2_8_0_rc1.tar.gz
>>>
>>> I encourage everybody to download and test it with various platforms,
>>> compilers, and applications. The cut-off day for reporting problems
>>> is next Tuesday, August the 28th with the release planned for Friday,
>>> August the 31th.
>>
>> There needs to be a PMC vote for that. Care to start a voting thread with
>> [VOTE] in the subject line?
>>
>>> Besides a large number of bug fixes, this release has the following
>>> new features, mainly in the build system:
>>>
>>> * Support for 64 bit Windows builds.
>>>
>>> * Project files for VC8.
>>>
>>> * Optimized DOM parsing (25-30% improvement).
>>>
>>> * Verbose make mode (make VERBOSE=1).
>>>
>>> * Support for g++ on AIX and HP-UX.
>>>
>>> * Support for static library building (runConfigure -s option).
>>>

>>> Note that the documentation in this release candidate hasn't been
>>> updated. The documentation changed will be completed before the
>>> release.
>>>

>>> Thanks,
>>> Boris
>>>

>>> --
>>> Boris Kolpackov
>>> Code Synthesis Tools CC
>>> http://www.codesynthesis.com
>>> Open-Source, Cross-Platform C++ XML Data Binding

>> Michael Glavassevich
>> XML Parser Development
>> IBM Toronto Lab
>> E-mail: mrglavas@ca.ibm.com
>> E-mail: mrglavas@apache.org

Gareth Reakes, Managing Director      Parthenon Computing
+44-1865-811184                  http://www.parthcomp.com

Re: Xerces-C++ 2.8.0 release candidate 1

Posted by Gareth Reakes <ga...@we7.com>.
Hey,

	Did not really want to start he vote until we see if the RC is OK! Hard
for me to say if I want a release until I see user feedback on the RC.
Intend to start vote next week and it will of course be complete before
we release.

Cheers,

Gareth

Michael Glavassevich wrote:
> Hi Boris,
>
> Boris Kolpackov <bo...@codesynthesis.com> wrote on 08/21/2007 12:04:00 PM:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Release candidate 1 for the upcoming Xerces-C++ 2.8.0 release
>> is available for testing:
>>

>> http://people.apache.org/builds/xerces/c/xerces-c-src_2_8_0_rc1.zip
>>

>> http://people.apache.org/builds/xerces/c/xerces-c-src_2_8_0_rc1.tar.gz
>>

>> SHA1 checksums for the files:
>>
>> a168db771ae510ac511ac15d9c56e03522b9a23f  xerces-c-src_2_8_0_rc1.zip
>> ac8cd373cd170caebb48de6870affcf72f7d12db  xerces-c-src_2_8_0_rc1.tar.gz
>>
>> I encourage everybody to download and test it with various platforms,
>> compilers, and applications. The cut-off day for reporting problems
>> is next Tuesday, August the 28th with the release planned for Friday,
>> August the 31th.
>
> There needs to be a PMC vote for that. Care to start a voting thread with
> [VOTE] in the subject line?
>
>> Besides a large number of bug fixes, this release has the following
>> new features, mainly in the build system:
>>
>> * Support for 64 bit Windows builds.
>>
>> * Project files for VC8.
>>
>> * Optimized DOM parsing (25-30% improvement).
>>
>> * Verbose make mode (make VERBOSE=1).
>>
>> * Support for g++ on AIX and HP-UX.
>>
>> * Support for static library building (runConfigure -s option).
>>

>> Note that the documentation in this release candidate hasn't been
>> updated. The documentation changed will be completed before the
>> release.
>>

>> Thanks,
>> Boris
>>

>> --
>> Boris Kolpackov
>> Code Synthesis Tools CC
>> http://www.codesynthesis.com
>> Open-Source, Cross-Platform C++ XML Data Binding

> Michael Glavassevich
> XML Parser Development
> IBM Toronto Lab
> E-mail: mrglavas@ca.ibm.com
> E-mail: mrglavas@apache.org

Gareth Reakes, CTO                                 WE7
+44-20-7117-0809                    http://www.we7.com

Re: Xerces-C++ 2.8.0 release candidate 1

Posted by Michael Glavassevich <mr...@ca.ibm.com>.
Hi Boris,