Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by Don Brown <mr...@twdata.org> on 2005/02/23 02:09:31 UTC

Ant or Maven (Pick one please)

Sorry to raise this controversial subject, but I feel our build
situation is getting a little out of control.  We have maven and ant
build files scattered throughout our repository, making it very
confusing to determine which is "official" and which is "experimental".
  Even our documentation is fragemented with /doc and /xdoc directories
containing unsynchronized, mostly identical content.

I think we need to just pick one and get rid of the other.  I know for
some this is like deciding the meaning of life, but I think we need to
just pick one and remove the other or at least move it to an unsupported
sandbox area.  Struts may currently be in a state where it wants to try
different ideas and see which ones "win", but the build environment
should "just work" and require little to no attention.

Personally, I very much perfer Ant and find Maven slow, buggy, and
overextended, however, it seems those that have been volunteering on the
build lately perfer Maven, so I vote we go with Maven, convert all the
docs to xdocs, and clean the Ant-related files out completely.

Of course, I am willing to do whatever it takes to get this
accomplished.  Let's get this, in my opinion, very boring and
unnecessarily confusing matter resolved so we can get back to the fun
stuff that is 1.3 and beyond.

Don

Re: Ant or Maven (Pick one please)

Posted by Kris Schneider <kr...@dotech.com>.
Quoting Martin Cooper <mf...@gmail.com>:

> On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 12:45:02 -0500, Kris Schneider <kr...@dotech.com> wrote:
> > "request-time" really is the correct interpretation of "rtexprvalue"...
>
> No, "request-time" would be the correct interpretation of "rt". By
> itself, it is meaningless. All actual attribute values are determined
> at request time, whether they are specified by expressions or not.
> "Request-time expression value" or maybe "Request-time expression",
> but not just "Request-time".

Yes, of course. "Request-time expression value" would be it. I was merely
pointing out that "Request-time" is a perfectly correct label for the column in
question.

Posted by Martin Cooper <mf...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Kris Schneider <kr...@dotech.com>.

Posted by Martin Cooper <mf...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Joe Germuska <Jo...@Germuska.com>.

Posted by James Mitchell <jm...@apache.org>.
I don't think that's what Joe was saying.

Unless I'm mistaken, he means that the javadoc-like docs are generated from
the actual TLDs.

So, instead of this:

             ,-> struts-*.html
struts-*.xml-
             '-> struts-*.tld

...he means this:

struts-*.tld -> struts-*.html (javadoc-like format)

These javadoc-like docs would be directly linked as part of the
documentation.

Is this right Joe?

--
James Mitchell
EdgeTech, Inc.
678.910.8017
AIM: jmitchtx

Posted by Martin Cooper <mf...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Joe Germuska <Jo...@Germuska.com>.

Posted by Martin Cooper <mf...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Joe Germuska <Jo...@Germuska.com>.

Posted by James Mitchell <jm...@apache.org>.
> As long as a new prospective developer can
> checkout Struts from subversion, just type "maven dist" and have the
> whole Struts project unit tested and built, I'll be happy.

That's exactly the goal (no pun intended ;) for me.

--
James Mitchell
EdgeTech, Inc.

Re: Ant or Maven (Pick one please)

Posted by Don Brown <mr...@twdata.org>.
To be honest, I too have my reservations towards Maven as I've been very
happy with Ant, but a project the depends on volunteers such as this
needs to more importantly pick one tool and use it consistently and
effectively.  Furthermore, this tool must be supported by those that
will maintain the build.  These two reasons cause me to call for Maven
to be selected as the sole build tool.  The turning point for me was
seeing that I can embed ant tasks in the maven.xml and James' dedication
to getting Maven working.  As long as a new prospective developer can

Posted by Don Brown <mr...@twdata.org>.
Theoretically, yes, but I think they present more confusion than do
good.  When you have two different build scripts, it is not only
confusing to the new developer (or any developer really), but a
maintainence headache as both have to be maintained. Ant scripts could
be created, but they should be stored way away in some sandbox or
contrib folder where they will be clearly marked as unsupported.

Don

Posted by "Frank W. Zammetti" <fz...@omnytex.com>.
Your right Joe.  BAD FRANK!! :)

--
Frank W. Zammetti
Founder and Chief Software Architect

Posted by Joe Germuska <Jo...@Germuska.com>.

Posted by "Frank W. Zammetti" <fz...@omnytex.com>.
I'll answer that since I'm the one that made the comment in the first
place :) ...

Firstly, let me be clear: I have nothing against Maven, so it's not a
question of liking one thing over another.  And I realize I'm not on the
Struts development team anyway so my opinion probably means even *less*
than some others, but I offer it none the less :)

As I look through the Getting Started docs on the Maven site, I'm met
with some phrases of concern right off the bat:

"For those that have already skimmed the documentation on this site, you
may be asking yourself, what *exactly* does it mean to use Maven?"

To which I reply: "If I've skimmed the documentation, why would I have
any doubt as to what using Maven really means?  Is it THAT
complicated?!?  Shouldn't I have a fairly clear picture at this point?"

Then there's:

"That question will have different answers over time as Maven evolves..."

...Which concerns me because I'm thinking "Gee, does that mean I'm
starting down a path that's going to result in me having to keep up with
something that's just getting MORE complicated?"

Neither of these are big enough to make me think "Oh, forget Maven!",
but they do raise an eyebrow.  Again, remember that I'm not talking
about the people that already know Maven... like I said before, it's
just like any other tool: you start out being a bit intimidated
(perhaps), and as you gain experience it becomes no problem and you
wonder why you ever had any problem at all!  But for someone coming to
it for the first time, statements like the above might be a bit
disconcerting.

Then you get to the part of the documentation talking about installation
and you have to deal with the concept of a "repository".  Sure, you
probably notice the part that says you can skip this step if you have
trouble, but then your back to asking "why should I have any trouble at
such an early stage??" and again your getting a tad more worried.

Then you get it installed and set up (and realize it actually wasn't a
big deal), but now your confronted with the whole "project object model"
idea.  Which, again, turns out to not be such a big deal at all, but
it's one more hurdle to jump.

The point I'm trying to make here is in no way disparaging of Maven at
all, and it shouldn't be read as an endorsement of Ant over Maven.  What
I am trying to illustrate is that the barrier to entry with Maven
involved is a little bit higher for a beginner than for Ant IMHO, and
that could potentially dissuade some people from contributing to a
project.  I don't want to make more of this point than should be made of
it because, ultimately, it's probably a very minor consideration.

In the end, you aren't going to hear any complaints from me regardless
of which is chosen, I was just raising what I thought might be a valid
concern.  Certainly if no one agrees with the assessment in the first
place than there's nothing left to debate (and never actually was I
suppose), so Maven it is! :)

Posted by Joe Germuska <Jo...@Germuska.com>.

Posted by Arnaud HERITIER <ah...@gmail.com>.
If possible you can generate the ant script with maven so you won't have to manually maintain it (It is already done like that in
jakarta commons).
If you want, you can commit it on SVN and ant users will able to build jars and run tests.

Arnaud

Posted by Hubert Rabago <hr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Frank W. Zammetti" <fz...@omnytex.com>.
Look James, I already had to eat my words on Ant with some guys at work
who I originally told I'd *NEVER* use it, so I'm *NOT* gonna do the same
with Maven! :)

Not this week anyway :)

Seriously though, that's cool, I wasn't aware it is (almost) that easy.

Well, I raised the one concern I had, I'm certainly not going to
complain whichever direction you guys go.  Can't hurt to consider all
the angles I figure, even if the one I point out isn't a big one.

Posted by "Frank W. Zammetti" <fz...@omnytex.com>.

Posted by James Mitchell <jm...@apache.org>.
http://maven.apache.org/reference/user-guide.html

....look for "maven.home.local"

--
James Mitchell
EdgeTech, Inc.

Posted by Nathan Bubna <nb...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 14:05:12 -0600, Joe Germuska <Jo...@germuska.com> wrote:
> At 2:53 PM -0500 2/23/05, Frank W. Zammetti wrote:
> >An unsolicited outside comment...
> >
> >If your intention is to continue to allow the general Struts user
> >community to still be able to build Struts, I would suggest against
> >Maven.
> >
> >Maven strikes me as considerably more complex and intimidating than
> >does Ant, even if that complexity might be justifiable because Maven
> >is more powerful.  I think there is a higher barrier to entry with
> >Maven, and Ant is I think a more common and well-understood tool by
> >most developers.
> >
> >If this isn't so much a concern though, i.e., if you intend that for
> >the most part only those interested in actively developing Struts
> >should be building it from source, than by all means go with Maven.
> >
> >It would however be unfortunate if the seemingly simple choice of a
> >build tool discouraged contributions.  I'm not saying this would be
> >the case going with Maven, but I *would* be less concerned about
> >this with Ant.
>
> Have you used Maven?  I understand that it has a lot of features
> (perhaps too many) and that it can be a bit slow off the mark, but
> you never have to modify a single file?  I have seen few if any
> Ant-based projects which didn't require at least a bit of tweaking to
> a local build.properties file; on the other hand, most Maven projects
> "just work" if you have Maven installed.
>
> I agree that we don't want to hamper usage by the general community;
> however, I feel that -- specifically with Struts -- we never had a
> particularly easy to use Ant build.

agreed.  i remember the first time i tried to get struts building
locally.  it was a pain to get all the dependencies set up, even
though i was familiar with ant.  maven may still be unfamiliar to many
developers (myself included), but that alone is a poor reason to not
use it.  once upon a time, ant was unfamiliar to me too. :)

Re: Ant or Maven (Pick one please)

Posted by Joe Germuska <Jo...@Germuska.com>.

Posted by "Frank W. Zammetti" <fz...@omnytex.com>.

Posted by Joe Germuska <Jo...@Germuska.com>.

Posted by James Mitchell <jm...@apache.org>.
Thank you.

Maven has a cool feature whereby you can generate an Ant build.xml file
based on a current Mavenized project.  This is done in several commons
projects.  However, we are not exactly using Maven in a way that would
support such an effort.

The biggest issue I'm pondering over now is how to get the docs to tie
together.  If you look at the way Maven does it, each plugin has it's own
set of docs that don't link back to the parent.  Not sure I like that, but
I'll have to dig a bit deeper and see if we can come up with something
better.

--
James Mitchell
EdgeTech, Inc.

Posted by James Mitchell <jm...@apache.org>.
Yes, and we already have.  But that needs to be cleaned up just anything
else.

--
James Mitchell
EdgeTech, Inc.

Posted by Arnaud HERITIER <ah...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.
On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 10:51:59 -0800, Don Brown wrote:
> While I generally agree with letting a project's direction be
> guided by those that are willing to do the work, in this case, I
> think we do need to come to a consensus on a single build tool and
> work to get rid of the other.
> Since you are well versed in Maven
> and are willing to do the work as evidenced by recent commits,
> let's all agree to make Maven the official Struts build tool and
> not even bother with Ant.  I have complete faith in your ability to
> ensure 100% functionality with Maven.
>
> I should also add, if you need any help in an area, let me know.
>
> Don

For the time being, we have to "bother" with Ant, because, AFAIK, it's the only way we have to build the website right now.

Once there is a working Maven build, I'm sure we will be happy to scrap the remaining Ant buildfiles. Me probably most of all. After five long years of maintaining Ant property files, I'm very happy to let Maven maintain a repository for me :)

But, I do want to remind everyone that we do all have the right to revolution. If someone ever wants to experiment with Ant again, it's their right to do so. Just as it was our right to start experimenting with Maven last year.

I also want to point out that it's physically impossible for anyone but those who are willing to do the work to guide a project's direction. We can post messages until doomsday, but that's not going to get us a working build. The one and only thing that will get us a Maven build is volunteers doing the work.

After all, if someone committed a fully-functional Ant build tomorrow, what could we do about it? Could we veto it? We all have the right to veto a product change, but only if we are able to provide a viable alternative. In this hypothetical, that would be a working Maven build. So, no, we couldn't veto it. Until someone could commit a working Maven build, as James is close to doing, we'd have to retain the solution that worked.

When we say things like "them that does the work makes the decisions", we aren't stating policy. We're recognizing reality. :)

-Ted.

Re: Ant or Maven (Pick one please)

Posted by Don Brown <mr...@twdata.org>.

Posted by Vic <vi...@friendvu.com>.

Posted by Martin Cooper <mf...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 17:09:31 -0800, Don Brown <mr...@twdata.org> wrote:
> Sorry to raise this controversial subject, but I feel our build
> situation is getting a little out of control.  We have maven and ant
> build files scattered throughout our repository, making it very
> confusing to determine which is "official" and which is "experimental".

The act of breaking up the original repo into subprojects started us
down this track, I think. We perhaps should have thought through the
overall build system more fully when we started to do that, but that's
water under the bridge now. In any event, the Ant builds got broken so
that neither worked completely.

>   Even our documentation is fragemented with /doc and /xdoc directories
> containing unsynchronized, mostly identical content.

I'm not sure why we ever kept the xdocs stuff, since it was never
going to stay in sync. IMO, we should have zapped it some time ago. At
this point, I think the one reason for keeping it around is as a
reference if we're going to migrate again. I'd be fine with moving it
somewhere else - or even just keeping a copy on minotaur under my
account, which might be as good as anything.

> I think we need to just pick one and get rid of the other.  I know for
> some this is like deciding the meaning of life, but I think we need to
> just pick one and remove the other or at least move it to an unsupported
> sandbox area.  Struts may currently be in a state where it wants to try
> different ideas and see which ones "win", but the build environment
> should "just work" and require little to no attention.

Agreed. However, when you have a half-baked Maven build and a broken
Ant build, it's not going to "just work" without some work. ;-)

> Personally, I very much perfer Ant and find Maven slow, buggy, and
> overextended, however, it seems those that have been volunteering on the
> build lately perfer Maven, so I vote we go with Maven, convert all the
> docs to xdocs, and clean the Ant-related files out completely.

As I mentioned in another thread recently, I started working on an Ant
build system, but at pretty much the same time, a couple of folks
jumped back into the languishing Maven experiment, so I put my Ant
work on hold (not that it had got all that far, other than what I'd
done for my day job) and jumped into the Maven fray myself.

At this point, I don't know which one is ahead. Ant is closer on site
/ docs, but Maven is probably closer on an all-Struts build. If people
would prefer Ant, I'm quite willing to pick up where I left off with
that. I'm also happy to work on the Maven build, although I don't know
if James M has got far enough with the shared build stuff for other
people to work on it simultaneously. I'm not all that thrilled at the
prospect of working on both, though.

The site / docs is something I do want to work on, and I've said as
much to James off-list more than once recently. One of the sticking
points with Maven is going to be how we deal with generating the TLDs,
which likely won't work from Maven xdocs. This is on my to-do list,
right after writing up a plan for site creation (which is at the top
of my list).

> Of course, I am willing to do whatever it takes to get this
> accomplished.  Let's get this, in my opinion, very boring and
> unnecessarily confusing matter resolved so we can get back to the fun
> stuff that is 1.3 and beyond.

I agree that we should get this finished up and working. I haven't had
as much time to put into this as I'd have liked recently, and am not
in a good position at the moment to "plan" the time I can devote, so
it will be "as it happens", so to speak.

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.
Once we get past automatically generating the TLD's, I would venture that Maven's going to be the easiest solution in the long term.

A major element of the build is acquiring the 20+ JARs we are going to need. I know we could get Ant to fetch those from someplace and tuck them somewhere, but it just seems wrong to reinvent that wheel.

Aside form the TLDs, most of the current documentation will need to be sliced and diced for the new packaging. The additional changes we would need to make for Maven would be lost in the rounding.

As Martin mentioned, we can just pull the concept-test xdocs directory out of the core, if that's confusing people.

BUT, until we are ready to build the site with Maven, we should keep an Ant build file around to do that from the legacy XML docs. It's not an optimum solution, but the harsh reality is that we have do what we can on a time-available basis. Of course, it would be nice if someone could take a week off and finish this up in a fell swoop (in any way they deem fit), but, with competing priorities, I don't think any of us can block out that kind of time.

-Ted.