Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org> on 1999/01/24 16:42:01 UTC

Re: incorporating? (was: Copyright & donating code)

Cranstone1@aol.com wrote:
> You all get together online and "vote" as to what you think is right, that
> changes to a certain degree when a corporation is formed and management steps
> in. Management are not programmers, they don't think the way programmers do,
> ergo there will be much conflict.

Euh... he did say non-profit. While there will still be management types
necessarily, I think the modus operandi will be MUCH different from a
standard profit-seeking corporation. In fact, the only mgmt type might
be an out-sourced accountant to manage any funds, plus a legal firm on
retainer (if you look at Roy's stated goals, these are the only real
positions to fall out of it).

> Whether any of us like what Gates has done, I have to respect him for staying
> the race, Microsoft releases buggy products, bloated software and makes huge
> promises, but it's the largest software company in the world, and whilst
> Apache may have 50+% of the market for web servers, it's net worth as measured
> from a management perspective is "?", last time I checked Microsoft had a
> market cap of about $300 billion dollars.

Almost $400 billion, actually. They went over 400 last week, but fell
back.

> It may be run by a geek, but his lieutenant's are seasoned businessmen "not
> programmers with any current experience" and that is why they are successful.

Heh. Gates doesn't have current experience either :-)

> Is Apache ready to become a corporation? I think a vote is required.

Let Roy articulate further, but I believe the two of you have different
ideas of the Group's intentions.

Oh: and I will mention one thing to the Apache Group: even a non-profit
can do some BAD things to open source code. Non-profit doesn't
necessarily mean "no revenue." What happens 20 years down the line when
the new CEO of the Apache Group, Inc. wants to establish corporate
headquarters in Manhattan? Oh, and then of course, there will be the
commercial version of Apache so that the derived revenue can pay for the
headquarters and the staff of 43... Be careful :-)

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/