Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by "Ken Y. Clark" <kc...@logsoft.com> on 2003/03/19 20:10:51 UTC

Compiling libapreq 1.1 on Mac OS 10.2.4

I've been trying to compile libapreq 1.1 (Apache::Request) on Mac OS
10.2.4 for a couple of hours, but I'm having no luck.  I've been
following the directions in the INSTALL.MacOSX file and following
along with David Wheeler's article "Installing libapreq on Jaguar: An
Update"
(http://www.macdevcenter.com/pub/a/mac/2003/02/07/libapreq_update.html),
but nothing seems to be working for me.

In particular, I'm stuck on two errors:

1)  libtool: ltconfig version `' does not match ltmain.sh version `1.3.5'

2)  libtool: unrecognized option `-arch_only'

To get to this point, let me recount what I did.  I got this machine
yesterday, reinstalled OS X (so I wouldn't have OS 9), installed the
Developer Tools, installed Fink, and then used Fink to install lots of
GNU goodies.  Then I tried building libapreq following the directions
for OS X:

    cd libapreq-1.1
    sh BUILD.sh
    ./configure --with-apache-includes=/usr/local/apache/include
    make
    sudo make install

That gave me the first error above.  Seeing that I had a "libtool" in
"/usr/bin" provided by Apple and seeing that I could install a
"libtool" using Fink (into "/sw/bin/"), I did so.  Then I moved
"/usr/bin/libtool" to "/usr/bin/libtool.orig" and linked
"/sw/bin/glibtool" to "/usr/bin/libtool."  Now I get past the first
error, but I receive the second.  The reason, of course, is that the
libtool provided by Apple accepts the option "-arch_only," but the one
in "/sw/bin" doesn't.

I've been working on this for a while and haven't kept any notes, but
I know that at some point I Googled up a tip about changing the
"darwin" section of the file "ltconfig" (I changed the one in
"/sw/share/libtool") like so:

    allow_undefined_flag='-undefined suppress'

to:

    allow_undefined_flag='-undefined warning -flat_namespace'

That didn't seem to help.  I would very much appreciate any pointers.

ky