Posted to user@commons.apache.org by Billy Newman <ne...@gmail.com> on 2011/11/15 05:12:15 UTC

[configuration] XML fragments

Does the configuration API support XML fragments?

I have a situation in which I have many XML files that I concatenate
together.  Because I do this there is no root element.

<node>
</node>
<node>
</node>

I have tried but get an error that there is no root element.

I am using the configuration builder class to read in an XML file that
specifies my configuration. Maybe there is a way to add a root element
in the XML tag.

Confit
<xml fileName="nodes.xml .......

Thanks

RE: [configuration] XML fragments

Posted by Jason Dorsey <Ja...@netiq.com>.
I see that you have said that there is no root element, but if you have an automated process that concatenates the xml docs together then what is the blacking factor to having the last step of that process create an arbitrary root tag then using something like the following to parse the parts that you need?

		NodeList tempList;
		Node tempNode;

		File fXmlFile = new File(docName);
		DocumentBuilderFactory dbFactory = DocumentBuilderFactory.newInstance();
		DocumentBuilder dBuilder = dbFactory.newDocumentBuilder();
		Document doc = dBuilder.parse(fXmlFile);
		doc.getDocumentElement().normalize();

		tempList = doc.getElementsByTagName("[node that you specify]");

Then you use getFirstChil(), getNextSibling() and getNodeValue() to grab the data that you require. I agree that it is not ideal, but I have used it on occasion.

Jason Dorsey | Engineering Intern

Such a file can't be parsed in Java since it's not well formed. You can
try to add a root element when the files are concatenated to work around
this issue.

Emmanuel Bourg

Posted by Emmanuel Bourg <eb...@apache.org>.
Hi Billy,