Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Luong Phan <lu...@yahoo.com> on 2003/08/18 20:40:01 UTC

Error when I starting Jakarta-tomcat

Hi all,

I am having problem starting TOMCAT, I installed j2sdk1.4.2 and
jakarta-tomcat-3.2.4 on the Redhat Linux 7.3. Those two directories are
located at the /usr/java.
I set the envoroment variables in the /.bash_profile as the following:
JAVA_HOME=/usr/java/j2sdk1.4.2
TOMCAT_HOME=/usr/java/jakarta-tomcat-3.2.4
CLASSPATH=$JAVA_HOME/lib/tools.jar:$TOMCAT_HOME/lib/servlet.jar
export JAVA_HOME TOMECAT_HOME CLASSPATH

Every time I try [root@localhost root]#  $TOMCAT_HOME/bin/startup.sh
I get the massage: bad interpreter, permision denied

Please help me!

LuongPhan

Re: Error when I starting Jakarta-tomcat

Posted by Pablo Mayrgundter <pa...@reeltwo.com>.
"bad interpreter" makes me think your java installation isn't setup correctly.
Can you run a test Java program?

On Monday 18 August 2003 2:40 pm, Luong Phan wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am having problem starting TOMCAT, I installed j2sdk1.4.2 and
> jakarta-tomcat-3.2.4 on the Redhat Linux 7.3. Those two directories are
> located at the /usr/java.
> I set the envoroment variables in the /.bash_profile as the following:
> JAVA_HOME=/usr/java/j2sdk1.4.2
> TOMCAT_HOME=/usr/java/jakarta-tomcat-3.2.4
> CLASSPATH=$JAVA_HOME/lib/tools.jar:$TOMCAT_HOME/lib/servlet.jar
> export JAVA_HOME TOMECAT_HOME CLASSPATH
>
> Every time I try [root@localhost root]#  $TOMCAT_HOME/bin/startup.sh
> I get the massage: bad interpreter, permision denied
>
> Please help me!
>
> LuongPhan

Pablo Mayrgundter
Director of Applications and Services
www.reeltwo.com

Re: Error when I starting Jakarta-tomcat

Posted by John Turner <to...@johnturner.com>.
Your operating system is messed up, or you have a corrupt Tomcat
installation.

"bad interpreter" means that the shell script "startup.sh" cannot be
executed using the path to the shell that is in the script.

The first line of startup.sh should be something like:

#!/bin/sh

My guess is that on your system, either /bin/sh does not exist, or the
permissions on $TOMCAT_HOME/bin/startup.sh do not allow the script to be
executed.

John

Posted by Pablo Mayrgundter <pa...@reeltwo.com>.

Posted by John Turner <to...@johnturner.com>.