Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by "Hyrum K. Wright" <hy...@mail.utexas.edu> on 2008/04/12 16:20:08 UTC

1.5.0-rc3 up for signing/testing

Hoping that the third time is the charm, I'm pleased to announce that
Subversion 1.5.0-rc3 is up for testing and signing. The magic revision
is r30562.

http://orac.ece.utexas.edu/pub/svn/1.5.0-rc3/

As usual, signatures from full committers back to me, and enthusiastic
tester feedback is welcome.  At this point, this candidate is not yet
blessed for wide release, so please don't make it available to people
not interested in test-driving the new release.

Distro package maintainers, please do NOT include any pre-release
builds, even blessed, into operating system distros.  The reasons for
not doing so were very eloquently outlined by Karl in a mail, which is
summarized at the above address.

The quick version is: we don't guarantee compatibility between the
pre-releases and the final release, so if people install the release
candidate, all their repositories and working copies might break
unrepairably when they upgrade to 1.5.0 proper.  We don't want that kind
of bad publicity, and neither do you.

Happy testing!

-Hyrum

Re: 1.5.0-rc3 up for signing/testing

Posted by Paul Burba <pt...@gmail.com>.
On Sat, Apr 12, 2008 at 12:20 PM, Hyrum K. Wright
<hy...@mail.utexas.edu> wrote:
> Hoping that the third time is the charm, I'm pleased to announce that
> Subversion 1.5.0-rc3 is up for testing and signing. The magic revision is
> r30562.
>
>  http://orac.ece.utexas.edu/pub/svn/1.5.0-rc3/
>
>  As usual, signatures from full committers back to me, and enthusiastic
> tester feedback is welcome.  At this point, this candidate is not yet
> blessed for wide release, so please don't make it available to people not
> interested in test-driving the new release.
>
>  Distro package maintainers, please do NOT include any pre-release builds,
> even blessed, into operating system distros.  The reasons for not doing so
> were very eloquently outlined by Karl in a mail, which is summarized at the
> above address.
>
>  The quick version is: we don't guarantee compatibility between the
> pre-releases and the final release, so if people install the release
> candidate, all their repositories and working copies might break
> unrepairably when they upgrade to 1.5.0 proper.  We don't want that kind of
> bad publicity, and neither do you.
>
>  Happy testing!
>
>  -Hyrum

TESTED:
-------
[ fsfs | bdb ] x [ file | svn | http (neon) | http (serf) ]
JavaHL Bindings
Python Bindings

BUILT BUT NOT TESTED:
---------------------
Perl Bindings

SUMMARY:
--------

+1 to release.

RESULTS:
--------
All tests pass except:

[ fsfs | bdb ] x [ http (serf) ] update_tests.py 41 - as discussed
elsewhere in this thread this test was fixed.

The Python bindings (saw this before on 1.5.0 beta tests too, but
never resolved):

C:\SVN\src-branch\subversion\bindings\swig\python\tests>run_all.py
...............................................EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEETraceback
(most recent call last):
  File "C:\SVN\src-branch\subversion\bindings\swig\python\tests\run_all.py",
line 23, in ?
    unittest.main(defaultTest='suite')
  File "C:\Python24\lib\unittest.py", line 759, in __init__
    self.runTests()
  File "C:\Python24\lib\unittest.py", line 796, in runTests
    result = self.testRunner.run(self.test)
  File "C:\Python24\lib\unittest.py", line 696, in run
    test(result)
  File "C:\Python24\lib\unittest.py", line 428, in __call__
    return self.run(*args, **kwds)
  File "C:\Python24\lib\unittest.py", line 424, in run
    test(result)
  File "C:\Python24\lib\unittest.py", line 428, in __call__
    return self.run(*args, **kwds)
  File "C:\Python24\lib\unittest.py", line 424, in run
    test(result)
  File "C:\SVN\src-branch\subversion\bindings\swig\python\tests\trac\test.py",
line 33, in __call__
    self.setUp()
  File "C:\SVN\src-branch\subversion\bindings\swig\python\tests\trac\versioncontrol\tests\svn_fs.py",
line 53, in setUp
    self.tearDown()
  File "C:\SVN\src-branch\subversion\bindings\swig\python\tests\trac\versioncontrol\tests\svn_fs.py",
line 62, in tearDown
    repos.delete(REPOS_PATH)
  File "C:\Python24\lib\site-packages\libsvn\repos.py", line 74, in
svn_repos_delete
    return apply(_repos.svn_repos_delete, args)
svn.core.SubversionException: ("Can't remove
'c:\\docume~1\\pburba\\locals~1\\temp\\tmp05i7_g-trac-svnrepos\\db\\revs\\0\\2'",
720005)

C:\SVN\src-branch\subversion\bindings\swig\python\tests>

As with the beta, after the tests run and fail,
'c:\\docume~1\\pburba\\locals~1\\temp\\tmp05i7_g-trac-svnrepos\\db\\revs\\0\\2'
is gone.  If I tweak
'subversion\bindings\swig\python\tests\run_all.py' so the trac tests
are run alone, then the test passes.  Not sure what is wrong, but it
certainly looks like a problem with the tests, not the bindings.

VERIFIED:
-------

subversion-1.5.0-rc3.zip
MD5: F4AB600E1620D620212FA836A58822A6
SHA1: EB72E879A19C8B93F0B9502E2312F46EF8DD544A

Excepting subversion/include/svn_version.h and www/hacking.html, the
contents of subversion-1.5.0-rc3.zip match
https://svn.collab.net/repos/svn/branches/1.5.x@r30562

PLATFORM (all but the bindings tests which were done on another Win32 box):
---------
Windows XP Pro Version 2002 SP2
AMD Athlon X2
MS Visual C++ 6.0 SP6

DEPENDENCIES:
-------------
apr: 0.9.13
apr-util: 0.9.12
neon: 0.28.0
zlib: 1.2.3
OpenSSL: 0.9.8d
Apache: 2.0.59
BDB: 4.4.20 http://subversion.tigris.org/files/documents/15/32472/db-4.4.20-win32.zip
serf: 0.1.2

SIGNATURE:
-----------
User: Paul T. Burba (pburba) <pa...@softlanding.com>
1024-bit DSA key
ID 53FCDC55
created 2006/06/21

subversion-1.5.0-rc3.zip:

Re: 1.5.0-rc3 up for signing/testing

Posted by Arfrever Frehtes Taifersar Arahesis <ar...@gmail.com>.

Tested:
  fsfs, bdb
  ra_local, ra_neon, ra_serf

Not tested:
  ra_svn
  Bindings

Results:
  All tests pass except:

    ra_serf: update_tests.py 41

System:
  Gentoo GNU/Linux (~x86)

Dependencies:
  APR 1.3 (trunk)
  APR-Util 1.3 (trunk)
  Neon 0.29 (trunk)
  Serf 0.2 (trunk)
  GnuTLS 2.2.2
  OpenSSL 0.9.8g
  Apache 2.3 (trunk)
  Berkeley DB 4.6.21
  Python 2.5.1

SHA 512 checksums:
  fa3d6488238727a8011b1f223a2ec3d37f0cc1325719d941598c68cae0aa993dcd7b52323172c830d299680f885ac2c5863751802fe080f85347e84497b79f2c  subversion-1.5.0-rc3.tar.bz2
  6dd300f4053472094ff87d4f3d7c9e52f60b3638a88e522f377a069c547fe2a799d803f78e89e36c0f6c11cbbd7f30b0465a517a65967161c823e5f63b10658f  subversion-1.5.0-rc3.tar.gz

Signatures:
  subversion-1.5.0-rc3.tar.bz2

  subversion-1.5.0-rc3.tar.gz

--
Arfrever Frehtes Taifersar Arahesis

Re: 1.5.0-rc3 up for signing/testing

Posted by Mark Phippard <ma...@gmail.com>.
On Sun, Apr 13, 2008 at 1:39 PM, Kamesh Jayachandran <ka...@collab.net> wrote:
>  +1 to release.
>
>  Following are my observation when I tested
> http://orac.ece.utexas.edu/pub/svn/1.5.0-rc3/bastrop-pine/subversion-1.5.0-rc3.tar.bz2
>

>  make check [fsfs, bdb] - All tests pass.
>  make svnserveautocheck [fsfs, bdb] - All tests pass, but tests took
> longggggg time to complete.
>  This svnserve test alone took 5+ hours in my box. FYI, I used to see this
> behaviour some
>  time in the past but things started working fast after that. I observed
> this slowness in RC2.
>  May be it could be my new system issue(I did not see this vague slowness in
> RC1 testing from my office
>  laptop).

Since you are having problems specifically with svnserve, could it be
that known issue where if APR is configured to get random numbers from
/dev/random and you do not have enough entropy it takes a long time?

I am seeing slowness in creating a BDB repository, but the fsfs tests
ran fast for all ra methods.

--
Thanks

Mark Phippard
http://markphip.blogspot.com/

RE: 1.5.0-rc3 up for signing/testing

Posted by Kamesh Jayachandran <ka...@collab.net>.
Thanks!.

With regards
Kamesh Jayachandran

Posted by Lieven Govaerts <li...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Kamesh Jayachandran <ka...@collab.net>.
Lieven,

Posted by Lieven Govaerts <li...@gmail.com>.
Kamesh,

Posted by Ivan Zhakov <ch...@gmail.com>.
On Sat, Apr 12, 2008 at 8:20 PM, Hyrum K. Wright
<hy...@mail.utexas.edu> wrote:
> Hoping that the third time is the charm, I'm pleased to announce that
> Subversion 1.5.0-rc3 is up for testing and signing. The magic revision is
> r30562.
>
>  http://orac.ece.utexas.edu/pub/svn/1.5.0-rc3/

I'm +1 for release.

TESTED: [ fsfs ] x [ file | svn | http (neon) ]

RESULTS: All passed.

PLATFORM:
Windows XP Pro Version SP3
MS Visual Studio 2005 SP1

DEPENDENCIES:
apr: 1.2.12
apr-iconv: 1.2.1
apr-util: 1.2.12
neon: 0.27.2
zlib: 1.2.3
OpenSSL: 0.9.8g
Apache: 2.2.8

SIGNATURES:

subversion-1.5.0-rc3.zip.asc

--
Ivan Zhakov

Re: 1.5.0-rc3 up for signing/testing

Posted by Joe Swatosh <jo...@gmail.com>.
On Sun, Apr 13, 2008 at 7:04 AM, Joe Swatosh <jo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Hyrum,
>
> On Sat, Apr 12, 2008 at 9:20 AM, Hyrum K. Wright
> <hy...@mail.utexas.edu> wrote:
> > Hoping that the third time is the charm, I'm pleased to announce that
> > Subversion 1.5.0-rc3 is up for testing and signing. The magic revision is
> > r30562.
> >

> That commit broke changelists on the ruby bindings.  I committed a

At least on my windows build.  Sorry I didn't include that the first time.

> fix, its upto you if it is worth re-rolling for that.

Joe

Re: 1.5.0-rc3 up for signing/testing

Posted by Joe Swatosh <jo...@gmail.com>.
Hi Hyrum,

Posted by Mark Phippard <ma...@gmail.com>.
I am +1 for release.

Verified md5sums and ran tests on Windows and OSX.

OSX 10.5.2  tests and signature:

javahl
ra_local fsfs x bdb
ra_svn fsfs x bdb
ra_neon fsfs x bdb
ra_serf fsfs only
  update_tests.py 41 failed for ra_serf

subversion-1.5.0-rc3.tar.gz:

Windows tests and signature:

javahl
ra_local fsfs x bdb
ra_svn fsfs x bdb

subversion-1.5.0-rc3.zip:

subversion-deps-1.5.0-rc3.zip

--
Thanks

Mark Phippard
http://markphip.blogspot.com/

Re: 1.5.0-rc3 up for signing/testing

Posted by "C. Michael Pilato" <cm...@collab.net>.
Hyrum K. Wright wrote:
>>    Also, I just noticed that the bindings aren't exposing
>>    svn_repos_get_location_segments() correctly.  That's a bummer.
>
> r30583 fixes this for the python bindings, and is only lacking one vote
> in STATUS.  Do we need to do anything for the other bindings?

I suspect rb and pl support neither svn_repos_node_location_segments() nor
svn_ra_get_location_segments(), based purely on the fact that I see no
"thunking" of the svn_location_segment_receiver_t callback for those
languages.  Alas, Python is my area of knowledge and concern.

--
C. Michael Pilato <cm...@collab.net>

Re: 1.5.0-rc3 up for signing/testing

Posted by "Hyrum K. Wright" <hy...@mail.utexas.edu>.
C. Michael Pilato wrote:
>    -0 to release.
>
>    UUIC, the update_tests.py failure turned out to be a mod_dav_svn bug,
>    not a serf bug.  And I now know that the reason I see it as a Neon bug
>    too is because I've been testing with "SVNAllowBulkAccess off", which
>    makes Neon behave more like serf.  Still, we can't claim it is in
>    experimental code.

r30573 fixes this, and is only lacking one vote in STATUS.

>    The Ruby bindings segfault is a segfault.  That's bad.  (And not
>    experimental, either.)

This was fixed in r30567 and backported in r30572.

>    Also, I just noticed that the bindings aren't exposing
>    svn_repos_get_location_segments() correctly.  That's a bummer.

r30583 fixes this for the python bindings, and is only lacking one vote
in STATUS.  Do we need to do anything for the other bindings?

After r30583 and r30573 get backported, I can roll RC4 (possibly later
this evening).  Are there any other outstanding issues which need to be
addressed?

Posted by "C. Michael Pilato" <cm...@collab.net>.
Hyrum K. Wright wrote:
> Hoping that the third time is the charm, I'm pleased to announce that
> Subversion 1.5.0-rc3 is up for testing and signing. The magic revision
> is r30562.
>
> http://orac.ece.utexas.edu/pub/svn/1.5.0-rc3/

Platform:

    Ubuntu Linux 7.10 gutsy

Tested:

    bdb x (local, svn, serf, neon) + rb + py + pl + javahl

Results:

    bdb x serf: update_test.py 41 FAILED
    bdb x neon: update_test.py 41 FAILED
    rb: SEGFAULT (as reported on the devlist)

Posted by Stefan Sperling <st...@elego.de>.
On Sat, Apr 12, 2008 at 11:20:08AM -0500, Hyrum K. Wright wrote:
> Hoping that the third time is the charm, I'm pleased to announce that
> Subversion 1.5.0-rc3 is up for testing and signing. The magic revision is
> r30562.
>
> http://orac.ece.utexas.edu/pub/svn/1.5.0-rc3/

Building this rc, using the deps tarball, on FreeBSD-7/i386, with

 $ ./configure --enable-maintainer-mode --disable-shared --with-ssl
 $ make

results in a build failure in serf:

  test/serf_get.c:243: warning: no previous prototype for 'print_usage'
  /home/stsp/elego/subversion-1.5.0-rc3/apr/libtool --silent --mode=link gcc -L/usr/local/lib -static -o test/serf_get  /home/stsp/elego/subversion-1.5.0-rc3/apr-util/libaprutil-1.la -lexpat  /home/stsp/elego/subversion-1.5.0-rc3/apr/libapr-1.la -lcrypt  -lpthread -lz -lssl -lcrypto
  /usr/lib/crt1.o(.text+0x85): In function `_start':
  : undefined reference to `main'
  *** Error code 1

Any ideas?

Should it be using apr's libtool to build serf even though I didn't
pass the --enable-experimental-libtool flag to configure?

--
Stefan Sperling <st...@elego.de>                 Software Developer
elego Software Solutions GmbH                            HRB 77719