Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Liz Kim <li...@gmail.com> on 2008/01/02 18:12:44 UTC

[users@httpd] Cannot restart httpd

I was not able to restart Apache earlier today and had to reboot the server
itself.
This is the error message that I received when it failed to restart.

Stopping httpd:                                            [  OK  ]
Starting httpd: (98)Address already in use: make_sock: could not bind to
address [::]:443
Unable to open logs
                                                           [FAILED]
Any idea what might be causing this problem?
We recently added SSL to the server and redirect all http to https.
I wonder if this is done in an incorrect way?

<VirtualHost IP_ADDRESS:80>
 Redirect / https://IP_ADDRESS
</VirtualHost>

Thank you!

Re: [users@httpd] Cannot restart httpd

Posted by Dragon <dr...@crimson-dragon.com>.
Liz Kim wrote:
>I was not able to restart Apache earlier today and had to reboot the
>server itself.
>This is the error message that I received when it failed to restart.
>
>Stopping httpd:                                            [  OK  ]
>Starting httpd: (98)Address already in use: make_sock: could not
>bind to address [::]:443
>no listening sockets available, shutting down
>Unable to open logs
>                                                            [FAILED]
>Any idea what might be causing this problem?
>We recently added SSL to the server and redirect all http to https.
>I wonder if this is done in an incorrect way?
>
><VirtualHost IP_ADDRESS:80>
>  Redirect / <https://IP_ADDRESS>https://IP_ADDRESS
></VirtualHost>

That looks to me like something was already using port 443 so Apache
bailed out and refused to play. If Apache did not actually shut down
(I know the script said it did, but you can't be certain without
checking) or if another instance of Apache or another server
application is running on port 443, you will see that exact sort of message.

Dragon

Re: [users@httpd] Cannot restart httpd

Posted by Morgan Gangwere <0....@gmail.com>.
On Jan 3, 2008 12:40 PM, Grant Peel <gp...@thenetnow.com> wrote:

> eggdropp is an irc bot. You need to kill this, unless you know it is
> something different. Also, check your system, you have been breached.

to clarify, eggdrop is a perl script that talks to an IRC server
(usually stored in ~/.eggsbasket or hardwired into the script)
# cd /; find / *eggdrop* > /dev/stdout
should give you a decent location

--
Morgan gangwere

Please Excuse TOFU. Gmail/Mobile has no Power.

"Space does not reflect society, it expresses it." -- Castells, M.,
Space of Flows, Space of Places: Materials for a Theory of Urbanism in
the Information Age, in The Cybercities Reader, S. Graham, Editor.
2004, Routledge: London. p. 82-93.

Re: [users@httpd] Cannot restart httpd

Posted by Grant Peel <gp...@thenetnow.com>.
eggdropp is an irc bot. You need to kill this, unless you know it is something different. Also, check your system, you have been breached.

-Grant

                    From: users-return-78111-gpeel=thenetnow.com@httpd.apache.org
             Message Score: 10 High (60): Pass
                    My Spam Blocking Level: High Medium (75): Pass
                   Low (90): Pass
                    Block this sender / Block this sender enterprise-wide
                    Block httpd.apache.org / Block httpd.apache.org enterprise-wide

              This message was delivered because the content filter score did not exceed your filter level.

Re: [users@httpd] Cannot restart httpd

Posted by Liz Kim <li...@gmail.com>.
Thank you for your inputs!