Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Ben Reser <be...@reser.org> on 2013/05/14 21:18:27 UTC

1.8.0-rc2 up for testing/signing

Here it is: the second Release Candidate for Subversion 1.8.0.  You can
fetch the proposed tarballs from here:
  https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/subversion

The magic rev is r1482456

This is a release candidate, meaning if all goes well it (or something
very much like it) will become the final release.  Please test this as
if it were the final release, understanding that there will be bugs in
any software we ship.  <insert lecture about perfect being enemy of
the good here>

To all distributors and binary packagers: This isn't the final
release.  It *won't* be the final release for a few weeks yet, so
please don't ship it as such.  In any case, don't distribute any
releases based upon these tarballs until we complete our signature
gathering process and officially announce the release.

Reminder that the STATUS file is still for 1.8.0, please be careful
about moving changes to the approved section and only move changes
that appropriate to be merged at this point (i.e. changes that would not
restart our soak).  If we have changes we want to put into 1.8.1, it's fine
to put them in the STATUS file and vote on them, just please do not move
them to the approved section.  It may be helpful to refer to this section of
our documentation when determining what can done to the 1.8.x branch
during our soak period:
http://subversion.apache.org/docs/community-guide/releasing.html#release-stabilization

Re: 1.8.0-rc2 up for testing/signing

Posted by Daniel Shahaf <da...@elego.de>.
C. Michael Pilato wrote on Tue, May 14, 2013 at 23:19:36 -0400:
>    Exceptions:
>
>       ctypes-python: test_as_human_string (svntypes.SvnDateTestCase)
>       test failed due to poorly written test (since fixed on trunk).

... and merged to 1.8.x for inclusion in rc3 (or 1.8.1).

Re: 1.8.0-rc2 up for testing/signing

Posted by "C. Michael Pilato" <cm...@collab.net>.
On 05/14/2013 03:18 PM, Ben Reser wrote:
> Here it is: the second Release Candidate for Subversion 1.8.0.  You can
> fetch the proposed tarballs from here:
>   https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/subversion

   +1 to release.

Platform:

   Linux 3.2.0-39-generic-pae
   Ubuntu 12.04.2 (precise) Linux (x86)
   Python 2.7.3
   Perl 5.14.2
   Ruby 1.8.7
   Java 1.6.0_27

Verification:

   Exploded contents of tar.gz and tar.bz2 files were identical.

   SHA1 checkums of tar.gz and tar.bz2 files matched published values.

   Compiled successfully using pre-installed dependencies.

   The following test sets completed successfully:

      ((svn, neon, serf, local) x (fsfs, bdb))
         + swig-py + ctypes-python + swig-rb + javahl

   Exceptions:

      ctypes-python: test_as_human_string (svntypes.SvnDateTestCase)
      test failed due to poorly written test (since fixed on trunk).

Checksums:

    9b8d319f6b556f856348a72563fd2d5005a6fa31   subversion-1.8.0-rc2.tar.gz
    272a32237cf297f9cca5f511e600e46ac19ab052   subversion-1.8.0-rc2.tar.bz2

Signatures:

   (See the appropriate distribution files.)

--
C. Michael Pilato <cm...@collab.net>
CollabNet   <>   www.collab.net   <>   Enterprise Cloud Development

Re: 1.8.0-rc2 up for testing/signing

Posted by Paul Burba <pt...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, May 14, 2013 at 3:18 PM, Ben Reser <be...@reser.org> wrote:
> Here it is: the second Release Candidate for Subversion 1.8.0.  You can
> fetch the proposed tarballs from here:
>   https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/subversion
>
> The magic rev is r1482456
>
> This is a release candidate, meaning if all goes well it (or something
> very much like it) will become the final release.  Please test this as
> if it were the final release, understanding that there will be bugs in
> any software we ship.  <insert lecture about perfect being enemy of
> the good here>

SUMMARY:
---------
+1 to release

VERIFIED:
---------
Other than the expected differences in
subversion/include/svn_version.h,
tools/server-side/svnpubsub/rc.d/svnpubsub and
tools/server-side/svnpubsub/rc.d/svnwcsub[1]
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/subversion/subversion-1.8.0-rc2.zip
is identical to
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/subversion/branches/1.8.x@1482456.

[1] See http://svn.haxx.se/dev/archive-2013-05/0079.shtml) for details.

SHA1 checksum of
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/subversion/subversion-1.8.0-rc2.zip
is bab03d90dc8cc27877372ba875009c5b878c9785

>gpg2 --verify subversion-1.8.0-rc2.zip.asc
gpg: Signature made 05/14/13 15:11:59 Eastern Daylight Time using RSA
key ID 16A0DE01
gpg: Good signature from "Ben Reser <be...@reser.org>"
gpg:                 aka "Ben Reser <br...@apache.org>"
gpg:                 aka "Ben Reser <be...@wandisco.com>"
gpg:          There is no indication that the signature belongs to the owner.
Primary key fingerprint: 19BB CAEF 7B19 B280 A0E2  175E 62D4 8FAD 16A0 DE01

TESTED:
-------
[Release-Build] x[ fsfs | bdb ] x [ ra_file | ra_svn | ra_serf) ]

Ruby bindings (Ruby test suite patched with the r1480344 group so I
can run the tests -- see
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=revision&revision=1482605  This
includes *no* changes to the bindings themselves, only the test
scripts)

JavaHL Bindings

RESULTS:
--------
All Tests Pass

PLATFORM:
---------
MS Windows 7 Home Premium Service Pack 1
Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 Version 9.0.30729.1 SP

DEPENDENCIES:
-------------
APR: 1.4.6
APR-UTIL: 1.4.1
Neon: 0.29.5
zlib: 1.2.4
OpenSSL: 0.9.8q
Apache: 2.2.22
BDB: 4.8.30
sqlite: 3.7.7.1
Python: 2.7.2 (ActivePython 2.7.2.5)
Perl: 5.14.2
Ruby: ruby 1.8.7
java: 1.7.0_10
junit: 4.8.2
swig: 1.3.40
serf: 1.2.0

SIGNATURE:
----------
user: "Paul T. Burba <pb...@collab.net>"
4096-bit RSA key, ID 56F3D7BC, created 2012-12-11

https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/subversion/subversion-1.8.0-rc2.zip:

> To all distributors and binary packagers: This isn't the final
> release.  It *won't* be the final release for a few weeks yet, so
> please don't ship it as such.  In any case, don't distribute any
> releases based upon these tarballs until we complete our signature
> gathering process and officially announce the release.
>
> Reminder that the STATUS file is still for 1.8.0, please be careful
> about moving changes to the approved section and only move changes
> that appropriate to be merged at this point (i.e. changes that would not
> restart our soak).  If we have changes we want to put into 1.8.1, it's fine
> to put them in the STATUS file and vote on them, just please do not move
> them to the approved section.  It may be helpful to refer to this section of
> our documentation when determining what can done to the 1.8.x branch
> during our soak period:
> http://subversion.apache.org/docs/community-guide/releasing.html#release-stabilization

--
Paul T. Burba
CollabNet, Inc. -- www.collab.net -- Enterprise Cloud Development
Skype: ptburba

Re: 1.8.0-rc2 up for testing/signing

Posted by Ben Reser <be...@reser.org>.
On Wed, May 15, 2013 at 9:15 AM, Branko Čibej <br...@wandisco.com> wrote:
> It certainly counts as another +1 for Windows. Which means we reached
> quorum less than 24 hours after the tarballs were posted. Bit of a
> record there. :)

Can't say I agree with this.  In my opinion one person can't vote for
Windows twice just by testing more than one variation of Windows.

There are two purposes to the voting:

1) To encourage multiple platforms get tested.
2) To ensure we have enough people in agreement to make sure it's a
legitimate release.

If you start counting the same person doing multiple tests as more
than one vote in the same column, then that dilutes at least the
second purpose.  In fact you could argue a single person could do a
release by testing it on OS X, Linux, FreeBSD, Windows Vista,
Windows7, and Windows8 (or even worse just different Linux distros for
the 3 unix votes).

I have no issue with people voting for Unix and Windows, because their
vote only counts once for each count and a vote in each column does
not unbalance the vote.

I don't say this to discourage anyone from testing multiple platforms
or variations, the additional information is appreciated and helpful.

In this specific case I don't think there's any holdup since Mark's
provided his +1 and we have 3 votes for each.

> Not sure it makes sense to repeat the same signature twice in the .asc file.

Makes no sense at all, it'd be a duplicate signature.

Unless there are any immediate objections I'm starting the work to
announce 1.8.0-rc2.

Re: 1.8.0-rc2 up for testing/signing

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@wandisco.com>.
On 15.05.2013 18:02, Ivan Zhakov wrote:
> On Wed, May 15, 2013 at 4:21 PM, Ivan Zhakov <iv...@visualsvn.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, May 14, 2013 at 11:18 PM, Ben Reser <be...@reser.org> wrote:
>>> Here it is: the second Release Candidate for Subversion 1.8.0.  You can
>>> fetch the proposed tarballs from here:
>>>   https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/subversion
>>>
>>> The magic rev is r1482456

>>    +1 to release.
>>
>> TESTED:
>> -------
>> [ fsfs ] x [ file | svn | http ]
>>
>> RESULTS:
>> --------
>> All Tests Pass
>>
>> PLATFORM:
>> ---------
>> MS Windows 7 Ultimate (x64)
>> Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 Version 9.0.30729.1 SP
>>
>> DEPENDENCIES:
>> -------------
>> APR: 1.4.5
>> APR-Util: 1.4.1
>> Apache HTTPD: 2.2.22
>> zlib: 1.2.3
>> OpenSSL: 0.9.8y
>> Apache: 2.2.22
>> sqlite: 3.7.12.1
>> Python: 2.6.6
>> serf: 1.2.0
>>
>> Signatures:
>> -----------
>>
>>    (See the appropriate distribution files.)
>>
> I'm also performed full check of 64-bit build on Windows with the same
> dependencies. I don't know will be this counted as another signature.
> But I can add my second signature to subversion-1.8.0-rc2.zip.asc if
> needed.

It certainly counts as another +1 for Windows. Which means we reached
quorum less than 24 hours after the tarballs were posted. Bit of a
record there. :)

Not sure it makes sense to repeat the same signature twice in the .asc file.

-- Brane

--
Branko Čibej

Re: 1.8.0-rc2 up for testing/signing

Posted by Ivan Zhakov <iv...@visualsvn.com>.

CTO | VisualSVN | http://www.visualsvn.com

Re: 1.8.0-rc2 up for testing/signing

Posted by Ivan Zhakov <iv...@visualsvn.com>.
On Tue, May 14, 2013 at 11:18 PM, Ben Reser <be...@reser.org> wrote:
> Here it is: the second Release Candidate for Subversion 1.8.0.  You can
> fetch the proposed tarballs from here:
>   https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/subversion
>
> The magic rev is r1482456

   +1 to release.

TESTED:
-------
[ fsfs ] x [ file | svn | http ]

RESULTS:
--------
All Tests Pass

PLATFORM:
---------
MS Windows 7 Ultimate (x64)

Posted by Stefan Sperling <st...@elego.de>.
On Tue, May 14, 2013 at 12:18:27PM -0700, Ben Reser wrote:
> Here it is: the second Release Candidate for Subversion 1.8.0.  You can
> fetch the proposed tarballs from here:
>   https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/subversion
>
> The magic rev is r1482456

Tested: [bdb | fsfs] x [ra_local | ra_svn | ra_serf]
        swig bindings
        javahl bindings

Test results: All passed.

Platform: OpenBSD 5.3 amd64

Dependencies:
bdb:        4.7.25
GNU-iconv:  1.14
apr:        1.4.6
apr-util:   1.4.1
httpd:      2.2.22
serf:       1.2.0
cyrus-sasl: 2.1.25
sqlite:     3071600
openssl:    1.0.1c
swig:       1.3.36
python:     2.7.3
perl:       5.12.2
ruby:       1.8.7-p358
java:       1.7.0_11

Signatures:

subversion-1.8.0-rc2.tar.gz

subversion-1.8.0-rc2.tar.bz2

Re: 1.8.0-rc2 up for testing/signing

Posted by Daniel Shahaf <da...@elego.de>.
Mark Phippard wrote on Tue, May 14, 2013 at 17:03:48 -0400:
> I am still getting those test failures in the svnrdump and svnsync
> tests.  Given that the tests work for others, I would guess this is
> something odd about my machine setup.  I manually did an svnsync to
> confirm the binary worked.
>
> In the svn:// and http:// tests I have a couple of additional failures
> I have not looked at yet that might be due to running the tests in
> parallel.
>
> Should I just sign the release and then leave it up to Ben if he wants
> to count my signature towards the Windows total, or just not sign it
> at all?

Signing the tarballs achieves two purposes:

1. It communicates to the community (including users) that you are +1 on
   that tarball being GA quality.

2. It allows people who download a tarball to establish a chain of trust
   back to a Subversion committer.

The former is sensitive to those "additional failures" you mention.  The
latter isn't.  That said, if you have signed the PGP keys of developers
who will sign the release, the marginal advantage to 'gpg --verify'iers
of your signature is minimal --- i.e., the latter goal isn't helped much.

Does that make sense?

Daniel

Re: 1.8.0-rc2 up for testing/signing

Re: 1.8.0-rc2 up for testing/signing

Posted by Philip Martin <ph...@wandisco.com>.
  +1 to release

Platform:

  Linux (Debian/wheezy) 64-bit

Tested:

  (local, svn, svn/sasl, serf, serf/v1) x (fsfs, fsfs/pack/shard, bdb)
  swig-pl, swig-py, swig-rb, ctypes-python
  javahl x (fsfs, bdb)

Results:

  All tests PASS

Local dependencies:

  apache2-threaded-dev : 2.2.22-13
  libapr1-dev : 1.4.6-3
  libaprutil1-dev : 1.4.1-3
  libdb5.1-dev : 5.1.29-5
  libsasl2-dev : 2.1.25.dfsg1-6
  libsqlite3-dev : 3.7.16.2-1~bpo70+1
  perl : 5.14.2-21
  python2.7-dev : 2.7.3-6
  ruby1.8-dev : 1.8.7.358-7
  openjdk-7-jdk : 7u3-2.1.7-1
  serf : 1.2.x@1731

subversion-1.8.0-rc2.tar.bz2

subversion-1.8.0-rc2.tar.gz

http://www.wandisco.com/subversion/download

Re: 1.8.0-rc2 up for testing/signing

Posted by Ben Reser <be...@reser.org>.
On Thu, May 16, 2013 at 7:11 AM, Mark Phippard <ma...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Just as a followup on my test failures.
>
> I got a chance to spin up a new VM and start over.  Everything worked
> fine this time, so the failures must be something specific to my
> laptop where I normally run the tests..

Thanks Mark.

Re: 1.8.0-rc2 up for testing/signing

Posted by Mark Phippard <ma...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, May 15, 2013 at 1:11 PM, Mark Phippard <ma...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Signature committed.
>
> SUMMARY:
> +1 to release
>
> PLATFORM:
>  Windows 7
>  VS 2012 Update 2
>  Java 1.6
>
> COMPONENTS:
>  Apache        2.4.4
>  APR             1.4.6
>  APR-UTIL    1.5.1
>  OpenSSL     1.0.1e
>  Serf             1.2.0
>  ZLib             1.2.8
>  SQLite         3.7.16.2
>
> VERIFIED:
>  signature and sha1
>
> TESTED:
>  JavaHL
>  ra_local | ra_svn | ra_serf X fsfs
>
> RESULTS:
>  All passed except svnsync + svnrdump as noted on dev@.

Just as a followup on my test failures.

I got a chance to spin up a new VM and start over.  Everything worked
fine this time, so the failures must be something specific to my
laptop where I normally run the tests..

--
Thanks

Mark Phippard
http://markphip.blogspot.com/

Re: 1.8.0-rc2 up for testing/signing

Posted by Mark Phippard <ma...@gmail.com>.
Signature committed.

Posted by Philip Martin <ph...@wandisco.com>.
Philip Martin <ph...@wandisco.com> writes:

> The build fails when configured with --enable-runtime-module-search due
> to a new explict dependency of libsvn_fs on libsvn_delta (a dependency
> that is satisfied by libsvn_fs_fs/libsvn_fs_base when built without
> --enable-runtime-module-search).
>
> A workaround is to use --disable-disallowing-of-undefined-references
> which allows the build to complete.  The binary libraries will be
> suitable for most users, the only people who will have a problem are
> those that link to libsvn_fs without linking to libsvn_delta.  A better
> workaround is the one-line change to build.conf in r1482724.
>
> r1482724 is proposed for 1.8.  I think the workarounds are sufficient
> and so this does not need to be fixed for 1.8.0.

The workarounds are sufficient for the release candidate tarball, but it
would be good to fix this for the final 1.8.0 release.  While using
--disable-disallowing-of-undefined-references allows the build to work
it is not as good as getting the dependencies right.  Getting the
dependencies right involves not only the small change to build.conf but
also running gen-make.py, and that means having Python, or editing
build-outputs.mk.

Posted by Philip Martin <ph...@wandisco.com>.

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@wandisco.com>.
    +1 to release

Platform

    Mac OS X 10.8.3 Mountain Lion, build 12D78

    Standard dependencies:
      Apple clang(++) 4.2/LLVM 3.2svn
      APR 1.4.5
      APR-Util 1.3.12
      zlib 1.2.5
      httpd 2.2.22
      OpenSSL 0.9.8r
      Java 1.6.0_45
      Python 2.7.2
      Perl 5.12.4

    Dependencies from homebrew:
      SQLite 3.7.16.2
      Serf 1.2.0
      BDB 5.3.21
      Swig 2.0.9
      libmagic 5.13

    Other dependencies:
      JUnit 4.10
      ctypesgen svn-r147

Verified:

  Tarball contents and signatures

  (fsfs, bdb) x (local, svnserve, dav)
  check-all-javahl
  check-swig-py
  check-swig-rb
  check-swig-pl

Issues:

  - 'make check-ctypes-python' fails:

    Traceback (most recent call last):
      File "test/run_all.py", line 22, in <module>
        import setup_path
      File "/Users/brane/src/svn/repos/1.8.x/subversion/bindings/ctypes-python/test/setup_path.py", line 31, in <module>
        import csvn.core
      File "/Users/brane/src/svn/repos/1.8.x/subversion/bindings/ctypes-python/csvn/core/__init__.py", line 134, in <module>
        f.argtypes = [POINTER(POINTER(svn_auth_provider_object_t)), POINTER(apr_pool_t)]
    NameError: name 'svn_auth_provider_object_t' is not defined

  - Swig bindings do not build with the generated wrappers included in
    the tarball. Running autogen, configure and 'make clean'
    regenerates them and the bindings then build succesfully.

  - 'make check-javahl' requires 'make install'

  - 'make check-swig-rb' requires 'make install-swig-rb'

  - Lots of new warnings in the optimized build due to behaviour of
    the newer clang (fix proposed for backport to 1.8.1)

GPG Signatures:

$ cat subversion-1.8.0-rc2.tar.gz.asc
$ cat subversion-1.8.0-rc2.tar.bz2.asc

--