Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Geoff Dyment <ge...@searstravel.ca> on 2004/02/04 00:36:00 UTC

[SPAMASSASSIN.ORG MAILING LIST SUBJECT TAG] - Subject Tag

If someone would be kind enough to tell me what I need to put in my
amavis/postfix/spamassassin in order to add the headers myself, I will
gladly do it and never post about it again. I just want my mail to sort - I
don't care how. But adding another 3rd party program just to do it doesn't
make much sense.

My only point is that if someone hates the "SA-Tag", they probably also want
to get rid of the "RE's" and the other garbage so they probably already have
a mechanism to get rid of it all. Not having tags just means the guys that
hate it still have their "Re:" removers and the guys that want it have to
add one.

> There is more than one way to filter.  Don't do it on subject.  Do it on
> To:, From:, or a custom header, such as List-Id:.  We don't expect you to
be
> an expert.  We expect that you ask for help when needed -- instead <CHOP>

You missed one of the posts then. Our mail setup will let us filter based on
FROM and SUBJECT. Other filtering requires it to be a client side rule which
is bad. Outlook 2000/Exchange 5.5 is not that old and I suspect it's still
pretty common. I agree it's stupid that I can't filter on TO/CC. I'm not
THAT lazy.

Outlook Express actually does let you do it, but then again OE isn't a
corporate mailer.

I had no idea it was a huge debate (mac vs pc, ms vs linux). I'm actually
quite astounded.

Geoff

Posted by Bryan Britt <be...@beltane.com>.
Sorry, I'm so behind on the list, but I wanted to reply to this one.  I
used Outlook (and Pegasus, and Netscape, and Eudora, etc etc.) for a
long time bouncing back and forth until I finally searched Download.com
and downloaded and installed every client they had.  and that was lots
of them.  I finally found an email client I liked.

It is not only a great email client, it's also the only peice of
shareware in my 25 years behind a computer that I have registered.
That's a considerable accomplishment because the software doens't even
disable after the 30 days.

At least one other person on this list uses it, it's called Rebecca.
(Becky! for short)

Everything in that list on your website Becky can do.  The only
exception is that it won't purge attachments.  it will however build
them and put them in a seperate folder as files, making them really easy
to scan.  HTML mail can be viewed as HTML, HTML source, or converted to
text.   and it will strip scripts when you view using the IE component.

It will also save and read .eml files.  and is MAPI compatible.  The
programmer is also very responsive on bug and feature implementations.
You can see it at http://www.rimarts.co.jp/

You don't HAVE to use Outlook.  However admittedly other outlook
features including it's mutual embedding into the business apps of today
makes it very hard to get along without.  I use it for everything except
Email.  And Outlook hates that.

Bryan Britt
Beltane Web Services

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ICQ: 53037451
Bryan L. Britt                                        501-327-8558

Posted by Jens Benecke <je...@spamfreemail.de>.

Posted by Damian Gerow <fr...@coal.sentex.ca>.
Thus spake Geoff Dyment (geoff.dyment@searstravel.ca) [03/02/04 18:36]:
> If someone would be kind enough to tell me what I need to put in my
> amavis/postfix/spamassassin in order to add the headers myself, I will
> gladly do it and never post about it again. I just want my mail to sort - I
> don't care how. But adding another 3rd party program just to do it doesn't
> make much sense.

(You probably haven't gotten my private mailing, where I offered to help you
through this.)

> My only point is that if someone hates the "SA-Tag", they probably also want
> to get rid of the "RE's" and the other garbage so they probably already have
> a mechanism to get rid of it all. Not having tags just means the guys that
> hate it still have their "Re:" removers and the guys that want it have to
> add one.

Not necessarily.  I get rid of multiple Re:/Aw: levels, but that's it.
Personally, I prefer to not have the tag in it, but I don't feel so strongly
as to actually procmail it out.

> You missed one of the posts then. Our mail setup will let us filter based on
> FROM and SUBJECT. Other filtering requires it to be a client side rule which
> is bad. Outlook 2000/Exchange 5.5 is not that old and I suspect it's still
> pretty common. I agree it's stupid that I can't filter on TO/CC. I'm not
> THAT lazy.

I also saw a post that said someone was able to do it server-side, but I
wasn't paying close attention.  You're right.