Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by Che Dong <ch...@hotmail.com> on 2003/02/20 04:23:17 UTC

PLAN: WebLucene -- Lucene Web interface, use XML as a lightweight protocol.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/weblucene/

WebLucene: Lucene Web interface, use XML as a lightweight protocol.

Developer convert data source (text, DB, MS Word, PDF... etc) into standard xml format indexing with lucene engine, and get full text search result via HTTP, with XML format output, user can easily intergrated with JSP ASP PHP front end or use XSLT at server side transform output.

Developer can intergrate lucene full text search engine with old MSSQL + ASP MySQL + PHP Oracle + JSP based web applications.

    MySQL  \                                                  / JSP
    Oracle - DB      -  ==>   XML ==> (Lucene Index) ==> XML  -  ASP
    MSSQL  /                                                  -  PHP
             MS Word /                                        \         / XHTML
                 PDF /                                         =XSLT=> -  text
                                                                        \ XML

                         \_________Web Lucene____________/

i18n issue: for Java is Unicode based, user can indexing data source(XML) in different charset into one lucene index(in unicode) and output result according to client browser support languages.
      GBK          \                                       / BIG5
      BIG5          -  UNICODE        ====>       Unicode -  GB2312
      SJIS          -   (XML)                     (XML)   -  SJIS
      ISO-8859-1   /                                       \ ISO-8859-1

Che, Dong
http://www.chedong.com/tech/

Re: PLAN: WebLucene -- Lucene Web interface, use XML as a lightweight protocol.

Posted by Che Dong <ch...@hotmail.com>.
Yes, I think compare to JavaBean and SOAP based API,   HTTP/URI/XML-based API is much simpler.

I'd like to here more opintions at this project starting.

Regards

Che, Dong
Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.org>.
That's very interesting.