Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Yoav Shapira <yo...@apache.org> on 2007/03/13 20:15:07 UTC

Apache Tomcat Board Report, March 2007

milestones achieved this quarter, and no issues requiring Board
attention.

Community:
- We've voted in one new committer, Fabien Carrion, whose iCLA will
hopefully be recorded this week.

- We've voted in one new PMC member, Rainer Jung, as ACKed by the
Board a couple of days ago.

- We've restored one committer, Guenter Knauf, from inactive/emeritus
status, back to active status, after re-verifying his iCLA and PGP
key, and running an informal vote on the issue.

Development:
- We released the first stable version of Tomcat 6, version 6.0.10,
after much testing and iteration.  We feel very good about the
quality, scalability, and performance of the release.  Apparently it's
pretty popular, too, judging by the various traffic spikes starting
with the release announcement:
http://people.apache.org/~vgritsenko/stats/days-trend.html

- We released a couple of versions of Tomcat 5.5, including a stable 5.5.23.

- We released a couple of versions of the Tomcat Connectors, including
mod_jk, 1.2.19, 1.2.20, and 1.2.21.

- I personally am very happy with the distributed nature of our
release management, in terms of how different people are cutting
releases and can back the designated RM for each branch if need be.

- We've worked hard to improve Tomcat-related security information on
the web site, creating a new set of summary pages using a similar
model to httpd's: http://tomcat.apache.org/security.html is a work in
progress, but a great improvement over the previous (lack of) data, we
think.

- We've also worked to improve integration and co-operation with the
Apache Security Team, triaging and communicating jointly on issues,
and educating some of the newer Tomcat PMC members about the process.

- We've also been working more closely with downstream packagers of
Tomcat for Linux, specifically Gentoo, and getting their early
feedback on each release as tested in their environment.  I think
that's a cool process improvement, just worth noting that it's been
working well.

Yoav Shapira, on behalf of the Tomcat PMC