Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Pid <pi...@pidster.com> on 2010/10/21 11:25:59 UTC

[OT] VisualVM, (was Re: tomcat 6.0.29 hung)

On 21/10/2010 00:11, Jason Britton wrote:

> Highly recommend trying out jvisualvm (it's in your jdk bin) if you're
> running 1.6.

There's a standalone release - 1.3.1 - with more plugins & some slightly
shinier toys.

 https://visualvm.dev.java.net/

Even if you can't run it on the same machine as the Tomcat process
you're inspecting, it's still pretty handy.  If there was just a way to
get VisualGC to work remotely...

Re: [OT] VisualVM, (was Re: tomcat 6.0.29 hung)

Posted by Pid <pi...@pidster.com>.
On 21/10/2010 13:49, Jason Britton wrote:
> I'll definitely will take a look at the standalone release.  Thanks for the
> info.  I'm going to throw Cygwin/X on my desktop machine to hopefully be
> able to pull up jvisualvm remotely and/or just use standalone version.
> Perhaps Cygwin/X would also allow you to pull up VisualGC remotely?

If you can fire VisualVM up on the target machine and make an X window
connection, VNC or similar then you're in business.

Check out the Tools > Plugin menu for extra stuff.

VisualGC is now part of VisualVM.  I think it needs to be on the local
machine because it does something which requires direct access to the
process.

Posted by Jason Britton <jb...@gmail.com>.