Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Christian Pascher <ch...@gmx.at> on 2011/01/18 22:29:02 UTC

[users@httpd] Apache Reverse Proxy

Hi,

I have a topology with two apache webservers. I want to set up a new
server as a reverse proxy with caching and load balancing.
As far as I know, this works fine with apache and I don't need extra
software like squid. Am I right?

Is it possible, that the servers can use both, HTTP and HTTPS for
connections and should i use the Apache HTTP Server as a reverse proxy
or something else?

Sorry for my bad english ;)

Greetings,
Chris

Re: [users@httpd] Apache Reverse Proxy

Posted by Jeroen Geilman <je...@adaptr.nl>.
On 1/21/11 12:51 PM, Christian Pascher wrote:
> So, if I want to provide HTTPS connections, it is possible to use a
> Apache Server as loadbalancer?

It's always nice to get new requirements after the fact.

You did not specify HTTPS before, did you ?

AFAIK mod_proxy will handle both http-to-https and https-to-http just fine.

> And how do I configure that?

The way the documentation tells you to.

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/current/mod/mod_proxy_balancer.html

--
J.

Re: [users@httpd] Apache Reverse Proxy

Posted by Christian Pascher <ch...@gmx.at>.

Posted by Jeroen Geilman <je...@adaptr.nl>.

Posted by Jeff Poling <jp...@moody.edu>.
Chris,

I recently inherited responsibility for two apache servers that function as reverse proxies.  They work really well.  I am still learning, but I believe all you need is mod_proxy to get the reverse proxy functionality.

Jeff

Jeffrey Poling
System Administrator | Information Systems
Moody Bible Institute
820 N. LaSalle Blvd., Chicago, IL 60610
312-329-8968
www.moodyministries.net