Posted to user@commons.apache.org by "Bingel, Michael" <Mi...@paybox.net> on 2003/07/07 10:21:07 UTC

[Net] Support for SSH1/2 ?

Hi there,

I have seen the Telnet functionality in the 'commons net'
package, is there support planned for (Open-)SSH1/2 ?

I need to execute some commands (e.g. 'df -h') on a server,
but only SSH encrypted communication is allowed, no simple
telnet session.

regards   Mike

Re: [Net] Support for SSH1/2 ?

Posted by Simon Kitching <si...@ecnetwork.co.nz>.
The NET project does not support SSH.

There was a discussion on this topic a few months ago which you can find
in the email archives (including my summary of all the java-ssh
libraries I could find). The general conclusion was that there was some
interest in having SSH support in NET, but no-one volunteered to
actually implement it.

There are basically two serious open-source java SSH libraries:
  jsch (http://www.jcraft.com/jsch/)
and
  sshtools (sshtools.sourceforge.net)

I gave jsch a quick try and didn't think much of it.

I have been using SSHTools for the last month, and think it is mediocre.
It is usable, but not great. Note that only SSH2 is supported.

Unfortunately, those are the only options I found after a quite thorough
search of the internet.

Regards,

Simon

Re: [Net] Support for SSH1/2 ?

Posted by Wesley Wannemacher <we...@aol.net>.
On Mon, Jul 07, 2003 at 10:21:07AM +0200, Bingel, Michael wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I have seen the Telnet functionality in the 'commons net'
> package, is there support planned for (Open-)SSH1/2 ?
>
> I need to execute some commands (e.g. 'df -h') on a server,
> but only SSH encrypted communication is allowed, no simple
> telnet session.

A po' man's solution would utilize forwarding. It would add a layer of
complexity (keeping the tunnel up between the machines), but may solve
your problem rather simply until SSH support is added.

ssh -L 6666:remote.machine.com:23 -l username remote.machine.com

would open the SSH session that will forward the traffic.

telnet 127.0.0.1 6666

Will connect to the remote machine.

Be warned however, this may not solve your problem, if there isn't a
telnet daemon at all... but most sysadmins would be willing to work with
you in this matter. It would still meet most security requirements if
telnet is only listening on the loopback interface.

/W

--
/*
 * Wesley Wannemacher

Life is divided into the horrible and the miserable.
		-- Woody Allen, "Annie Hall"