Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Alex Karasulu <ao...@bellsouth.net> on 2004/03/18 20:45:03 UTC

[reactor] Invoking reactor without a project.xml

Hello,

Is there a way to invoke the reactor without having a project.xml for the
top level directory.  Basically can I just have a maven.xml to invoke the
reactor.  The reason I ask this is because I have multiple levels that I
would like to start off a reactor build on.  The problem is the restriction
on the levels of inheritance.  Only one level is allowed so I don't want to
have the extra POM on those levels where I want builds to occur for
convenience.

Thanks,
Alex

RE: [reactor] Invoking reactor without a project.xml

Posted by Jason van Zyl <jv...@maven.org>.
On Thu, 2004-03-18 at 22:45, Alex Karasulu wrote:
> [...]

And that's certainly something we can cook into maven to make this sort
of use dead simple. The geronimo build has some magic in there to do
this. But as multi project builds are a common thing it's another thing
we can provide a default structure for to make it easier.

> Thanks,
> Alex

jvz.

Jason van Zyl
jason@maven.org
http://maven.apache.org

and sit softly on your shoulder ...

 -- Thoreau

RE: [reactor] Invoking reactor without a project.xml

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ao...@bellsouth.net>.

Really nice I'll have a look.

Posted by David Jencks <da...@coredevelopers.net>.
you might want to take a look also at the geronimo build structure.
I'm not sure what the maven experts think of it but I like it and find
it very convenient.  It assumes a 2 level subproject structure

base
    type1
      module1
      module2
   type2
      module3
      module4

you can select what you want to build by such expressions as

maven -Dmodules=module1,module3 rebuild

or

maven -Dtypes=type1

david jencks

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ao...@bellsouth.net>.
<snip/>

Posted by John Casey <jd...@commonjava.org>.
I guess I'd go back to my original comment, and provide a bare-bones
project.xml at the base dir, just as a placeholder...then, that will
free you up to write a base-level maven.xml/project.properties to manage
the various builds via multiproject and/or straight reactor. Or am I
missing something?

If anyone has a better method, please pipe up.  I have something like
this in some cases, and am currently using the following:

- multiproject:install goal
- base-level project.properties with the following properties:
  - maven.multiproject.includes=projects/*/project.xml (note ONE star)
- project-level project.properties with something akin to the following:
  - maven.multiproject.type=ejb (only specified at all when EJB project)

Then, within the maven.xml of the EJB projects, I kick off the build for
the ejb-client sub-project (arranged underneath the EJB project dir
structure). This way, even when I run a build straight from an EJB
sub-project, it will still build the ejb-client.

I don't know if this helps or not, but there you go.  Oh, and BTW, since
I'm using multiple EJB's in some projects, I reference a
maven.xml-in-disguise which lives in the base-directory, named something
like 'maven-ejb-goals.xml' via something akin to

<core:import file="../../maven-ejb-goals.xml" inherit="true"/>

in the top of the EJB-project maven.xml file.

Hope it helps...

-john

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ao...@bellsouth.net>.

Posted by John Casey <jd...@commonjava.org>.
yeah...didn't read that closely enough. I'm still confused on what you
mean by 'convenience builds'...is this something akin to an ejb-client
as a secondary build, or what?

-j

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ao...@bellsouth.net>.
John,