Posted to docs@httpd.apache.org by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net> on 2007/08/27 08:07:07 UTC

Random observation about http://httpd.apache.org/ index page

>From w3c's validater,

1.  Error  Line 3, Column 1: Missing xmlns attribute for element html. The value
should be: http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml.

Many Document Types based on XML need a mandatory xmlns="" on the root element.
For example, the root element for XHTML will look like:

I'm presuming this carries through to many of our docs (including the top
www.apache.org index page).

Thoughts?

Bill

Re: Random observation about http://httpd.apache.org/ index page

Posted by André Malo <nd...@perlig.de>.
* William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:

> From w3c's validater,
>
> 1.  Error  Line 3, Column 1: Missing xmlns attribute for element html.
> The value should be: http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml.

> Many Document Types based on XML need a mandatory xmlns="" on the root
> element. For example, the root element for XHTML will look like:
>
> I'm presuming this carries through to many of our docs (including the top
> www.apache.org index page).
>
> Thoughts?

The browsers don't care very much about that, because it's delivered as
text/html anyway.
More interesting for revision are things like:

* <menu>
* using <a name""> with a syntax not usable for ids

While you're at it, adding the xmlns doesn't do any harm. sure ;)

nd