Posted to dev@usergrid.apache.org by Lewis John Mcgibbney <le...@gmail.com> on 2015/01/22 22:00:17 UTC

[DISCUSS] Towards Graduation

Hi dev@,
Congratulation on UG 1.0.1-incubating. Another huge milestone and a well
deserved pat on the back :)
I am keen that we move towards graduation now... I am hoping that others
feel the same and we can get momentum going to address this endeavor.
>From our previous board report

 1. Make another incubating release (most likely 1.1)
 2. Continue to grow the Usergrid community
 3. Document and streamline the Usergrid release process

1: DONE
2: dev@ == 76 subscribers, commits@ == 24 subscribers DONE
3. This can be marked as a Jira issue and can be documented if it has not
already been done. This is by no means a blocker.

I would appreciate if folks could scan our podling record [0] in an attempt
to further flush out information there.

In the mean time I am planning to kick off the procedure or tying off loose
ends and preparing us for graduation.
Please comment here with anything in particular.
Thanks
Lewis

[0] http://incubator.apache.org/projects/usergrid.html

--
*Lewis*

Re: [DISCUSS] Towards Graduation

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.
Dave,

Let me clarify a bit.  I do apologize for being a bit brief on my response,
I just had ankle surgery and am not feeling that great afterwards :/

To be honest, I think Usergrid is about 75% there.  I think if we clear up
the administrative stuff we can get very close towards graduation, but I
think having one more release, which is completely clean, will be that true
proof the podling's ready to rock.

What needs to be updated on here?

http://incubator.apache.org/projects/usergrid.html

- Podling Name Search - since Apigee donated Usergrid, I'm assuming Apigee
has already signed over the name to the ASF.  Do we have record of this
somewhere?

- If you have a full list of committers at this point, we should make sure
the page gets updated with everyones username.

- Dates are important for many of these sections.  It seems to me like much
of this is complete, but I personally don't know the dates in which it
occurred.  We should make sure those get updated.

On Thu Jan 22 2015 at 4:24:05 PM Dave <sn...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 22, 2015 at 4:12 PM, John D. Ament <jo...@apache.org>
> wrote:
> >

> > IMHO Usergrid still not quite ready for graduation.  There are many holes
> > in the release process and still lots of "hidden surprises" within the
> > release.  We got through 1.0.1, but we did so by ripping out some
> > components.
> >

> Maybe I'm forgetting something, but I don't think we ripped anything out. I
> was able to fix the Dot-Net SDK and get the launcher running without
> removing them. There are technical issues and bugs, but those are things we
> can fix after graduation. We don't have to have a perfect product to
> graduate.

I think what the launcher issue showed me in particular is that we probably
need to dig into all of the files one more time and just verify everything
has proper licensing around it.  We may have got everything, but I know the
1.0 vote passed on general@ after a few rounds of back and forth and yet
missed that grizzly file.  I think we had fewer back and forth's this time,
but as Justin mentioned there were still some gaps with the NOTICE/LICENSE
files.

I'm not sure if your plan at this point is to merge 1.x into 2.x to be able
to cut a final 2.x release.

> Let's talk about the holes we need to fix in the release process. What are
> they? Is having a completely automated release process a hard requirement
> for graduation?

No, an automated release is not a graduation goal.  Sorry if it sounded
that way.  A clean release where we know everything in the source bundle is
properly AL v2 is a requirement though.  Basically, everything under
"Verify distribution rights" is where I think the struggle was for this
last release.

Posted by Dave <sn...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.
Hi Lewis,

IMHO Usergrid still not quite ready for graduation.  There are many holes
in the release process and still lots of "hidden surprises" within the
release.  We got through 1.0.1, but we did so by ripping out some
components.

John