Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by Guozhang Wang <wa...@gmail.com> on 2014/08/27 00:22:54 UTC

[DISCUSSION] Error Handling and Logging at Kafka

Hello all,

We want to kick off some discussions about error handling and logging
conventions. With a number of great patch contributions to Kafka recently,
it is good time for us to sit down and think a little bit more about the
coding style guidelines we have (http://kafka.apache.org/coding-guide.html).

People at LinkedIn have discussed a bit about some observed issues about
the error handling and logging verboseness, and here is a summary of the
bullet points covered:

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KAFKA/Kafka+Error+Handling+and+Logging

We would like to collect as much comments as possible before we move ahead
to those logging cleaning JIRAs mentioned in the wiki, so please feel free
to shoot any thoughts and suggestions around this topic.

-- Guozhang

Re: [DISCUSSION] Error Handling and Logging at Kafka

Posted by Guozhang Wang <wa...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Joe / Gwen for the great input. I have commented on the page
accordingly also.

There is a ticket for the background connection issue: KAFKA-1592
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/KAFKA-1592>.

Posted by Gwen Shapira <gs...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Joe Stein <jo...@stealth.ly>.

Posted by Joe Stein <jo...@stealth.ly>.