Posted to dev@pivot.apache.org by Christopher Brind <br...@brindy.org.uk> on 2009/03/02 16:32:39 UTC

runtime modularity

Hi,

Where's the best place to grab the code until we're set up with SVN on
Apache?

The reason I ask is that I want to have a look at how 'modular' Pivot is.
I'll use Flex to demonstrate what I mean.

In Flex you define an application (mx:Application) and can then define
modules (mx:Module).  Modules are like applications in that they get built
in to a SWF, but cannot be loaded directly by Flash Player, only via a
special ModuleLoader component running in an application (or another module
running in an application, etc).  The idea is that modules help to reduce
the perceived loading times of Flex applications by allowing chunks of the
application to download on demand or in the background.

I've been using Flex modules to allow us to extend our product at runtime by
distributing packaged modules that are actually OSGi bundles containing Java
classes and SWFs, so would like to do somethig similar with Pivot.

Like I say, I'll have a look for myself once I get the code again, but does
anyone have any thoughts on runtime modularity in Pivot?

Cheers,
Chris