Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Joerg Heinicke <jo...@gmx.de> on 2007/01/20 17:59:10 UTC

[transaction] Towards a Commons Transaction 1.2 release

Hi everybody,

I wonder if there can finally be a Commons Transaction 1.2 release. Half
a year ago we already had a RC 3 [1] which did not get released at that
time not due to a specific reason. There were discussions about getting
the jars at build time [2]. This issue came up again [3] when talking
about a release recently [4].

If somebody wants to do this step I'm fine with it, but IMHO it should
not block the release. When doing the step one should also have in mind
the necessity of 1.3 compiled Geronimo jars. David Blevins offered to
help here [5, 6], but I don't know about any progress (cc-ing him).

The code in SVN as is must be built with a JDK 1.4+ to include the JCA
stuff. The target JDK 1.3 is addressed automatically by the build system.

All other issues like interface compatibility [7] or license headers [8]
have been addressed [9] or are obsolete with a new RC.

So what is left?

I gathered all those links and information as I will be off for the next
5 weeks (New Zealand :) ) and somebody else can jump on the train. I
don't know how much time Oliver has. He is rather quiet lately.

I'd like to see a Commons Transaction 1.2 release after coming back.
Here is my +1 in advance :)

Regards
Jörg

[5]
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=jakarta-commons-dev&m=116838095403943&w=4
[6]
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=jakarta-commons-dev&m=116845728730516&w=4
[8]
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=jakarta-commons-dev&m=116783675420686&w=4
[9]
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=jakarta-commons-dev&m=116855776015241&w=4

Re: [transaction] Towards a Commons Transaction 1.2 release

Posted by Oliver Zeigermann <ol...@gmail.com>.
Hi!

Sorry for being mostly inactive, lately.

This is not supposed to change in the next time as I am really busy, though :(

However, inspite of my limited time, I still tried to bring the 1.2
release out TWICE and TWICE there - IMHO - was too much talk without
leading us anywhere, effectively blocking the release without - again
IMHO - substantial cause.

Because of this I would be more than happy if *someone else* could do
something more *productive* and finally finish the release.

Finally, many thanks to Jörg for actually doing productive work and
keeping the project alive

AND

my +1 for the release

Cheers

Oliver

Posted by David Blevins <da...@visi.com>.
On Mar 5, 2007, at 1:19 PM, Joerg Heinicke wrote:

> David Blevins <david.blevins <at> visi.com> writes:
>
>> Anyway, I've applied your changes, built and verified each of them
>> work with JDK 1.3, and put them all up for a vote on geronimo dev.
>> I'm not sure what the status of your efforts are, but at the very
>> least you'll be able to use them next time.
>
> Fine. Thank you very much, David. I haven't made any progress in
> the meantime as
> I was 5 weeks on vacation :)

5 weeks.  I keep hearing about these :)  Hopefully someday I'll live
outside the US and get to experience one first hand :)

>> Here are the vote threads if you would like to vote (very
>> encouraged):
>
> Will do this just for the archives.
>
> What's the current state? Are the jars available from a repository?

I don't know if this is still an open question, but the artifacts
were published on the 4th and are up:

  http://people.apache.org/repo/m2-ibiblio-rsync-repository/org/
apache/geronimo/specs/geronimo-jta_1.0.1B_spec/1.1.1/

Let me know if you need anything else!

-David

Re: [transaction] Towards a Commons Transaction 1.2 release

Posted by Joerg Heinicke <jo...@gmx.de>.

Posted by David Blevins <da...@visi.com>.
On Jan 20, 2007, at 8:59 AM, Joerg Heinicke wrote:

> When doing the step one should also have in mind the necessity of
> 1.3 compiled Geronimo jars. David Blevins offered to help here [5,
> 6], but I don't know about any progress (cc-ing him).

Sorry I was not able to get to this sooner (was doing the very first
OpenEJB3 and Geronimo integration for G 2.0-M2 released this week).

Anyway, I've applied your changes, built and verified each of them
work with JDK 1.3, and put them all up for a vote on geronimo dev.
I'm not sure what the status of your efforts are, but at the very
least you'll be able to use them next time.

Here are the vote threads if you would like to vote (very encouraged):

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/geronimo-dev/200701.mbox/%
3c1E98B839-3E3B-42CE-A833-0D41CE77B19B@visi.com%3e
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/geronimo-dev/200701.mbox/%
3cB8B34779-C1A1-49F5-A535-93E22B0D6D68@visi.com%3e
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/geronimo-dev/200701.mbox/%
3cCE6FF475-BFAC-42BF-BC56-5350D8F91FB6@visi.com%3e

Let me know if I missed something or you need anything else.

-David