Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by "Peter M. Goldstein" <pe...@yahoo.com> on 2002/10/27 01:47:19 UTC

[VOTE] - Move NNTP to Proposals until it meets the basics of the NNTP spec

All,

I'm quite frankly fed up.  The NNTP code clearly doesn't work, and my
attempts to resolve its issues have been met with hostility.

I won't put out a release with my name on it that has such poorly
functioning code in its bowels.  It violates spec all over the place
(see open bugs) and is just unpleasant to work with.  It is not in
active use by anyone on the james-user list.  So I'm going to take up a
suggestion Noel made a couple of months ago and officially propose it.
And apologize to him for not taking it up in the first place.

I propose that the NNTP server be moved to the proposals directory until
and unless it meets spec and provides the basic functionality expected
of an NNTP server.  That way it won't interfere with the current
release.

--Peter

Re: [VOTE] - Move NNTP to Proposals until it meets the basics of the NNTP spec

Posted by Serge Knystautas <se...@lokitech.com>.
+1

Posted by Harmeet Bedi <ha...@kodemuse.com>.
-0

Some users have used it successfully.
As far as I know nntp has worked well with most Mail clients. The testing as
far as I know has been authentication Off.

However NNTP status is experimental and James doesn't have a big installed
base either.

I think it may be a good idea to leave it where it is and remove it from the
config and assembly file if you think it should not be released.
or release separatly

I am planning to create nntp protocol tests and hopefully so are others. We
could release it in the next cycle as more tests come online.

Harmeet

Posted by Danny Angus <da...@apache.org>.
-0

d.

Posted by Alan Gerhard <al...@GerCom.Com>.
I propose that the NNTP server be moved to the proposals directory until
and unless it meets spec and provides the basic functionality expected
of an NNTP server.  That way it won't interfere with the current
release.
--Peter

Absolutely -
Let's please move on with the release of **stable** version and then focus more
on allocating resources to correct/develop code to move James forward.
NNTP was the first service/block I removed when installing for the first time.

alan