Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Lukas Ruf <ru...@rawip.org> on 2004/04/19 08:38:18 UTC

Size of Single DB-Files in Repositories

Dear all,

is there any possibility to limit the size of single db-files within
repositories such that they get split into several files when they
reach this limit?

For example:

    db!65> du -msc * | sort -n
    1       DB_CONFIG
    1       __db.001
    1       __db.002
    1       __db.003
    1       __db.004
    1       __db.005
    1       copies
    1       log.0000002738
    1       revisions
    1       transactions
    1       uuids
    2       log.0000002737
    15      representations
    30      nodes
    55      changes
    1426    strings
    1528    total

Can I set a limit of 2 GB for any of the files such that a single
instance of strings will not grow larger than 2 GB?

Thanks for any hint!

wbr,
Lukas
--
Lukas Ruf           | Wanna know anything about raw |
<http://www.lpr.ch> | IP? -> <http://www.rawip.org> |

Re: Size of Single DB-Files in Repositories

Posted by Lukas Ruf <ru...@rawip.org>.
> Erik Huelsmann <e....@gmx.net> [2004-04-19 12:05]:

> > > Why? Does your system not support Large Files ?
> > >

> > The back-end system "should" (Solaris 2.7, latest patch-level -- does
> > it??).  However, the local backup-system doesn't.
>
> Maybe incremental repository dumps are a solution for you then? If the
> interval is short enough and no single commit exceeds 2Gb in size, then you
> should have <2Gb dump files as a result.

I will ask the guys from the backup team to upgrade their system.  For
me, that's too dangerous...

Thanks for the clarifications!

wbr,
Lukas

Posted by Erik Huelsmann <e....@gmx.net>.
> > > Can I set a limit of 2 GB for any of the files such that a single
> > > instance of strings will not grow larger than 2 GB?
> >
> > Why? Does your system not support Large Files ?
> >

> The back-end system "should" (Solaris 2.7, latest patch-level -- does
> it??).  However, the local backup-system doesn't.

Maybe incremental repository dumps are a solution for you then? If the
interval is short enough and no single commit exceeds 2Gb in size, then you
should have <2Gb dump files as a result.

HTH,

Erik.

--
NEU : GMX Internet.FreeDSL
Ab sofort DSL-Tarif ohne Grundgebühr: http://www.gmx.net/info

Re: Size of Single DB-Files in Repositories

Posted by Lukas Ruf <ru...@rawip.org>.
> Dimitri Papadopoulos-Orfanos <pa...@shfj.cea.fr> [2004-04-19
> 11:46]:
>
> >The back-end system "should" (Solaris 2.7, latest patch-level --
> >does it??).  However, the local backup-system doesn't.
>
> Solaris 7 certainly supports large files.

Thanks for the information!

> Which backup system are you using? It would probably be easier to
> upgrade the backup system than modifying Berkeley DB to work with
> files less than 2 GB...

I will ask the central IT group to do it...

wbr,
Lukas

Posted by Dimitri Papadopoulos-Orfanos <pa...@shfj.cea.fr>.
Hi,

Posted by Lukas Ruf <ru...@rawip.org>.
Hi Erik,

> Erik Huelsmann <e....@gmx.net> [2004-04-19 11:35]:
>
> Hi Lucas,
>
> > is there any possibility to limit the size of single db-files within
> > repositories such that they get split into several files when they
> > reach this limit?
>
> Only by setting disc quota, since ...
>
> > For example:
> >
> >     db!65> du -msc * | sort -n
[...]
> >     1426    strings
> >     1528    total
>
> ... there will be only one instance of copies, revisions, transactions,
> representations, nodes, changes and strings. Limiting the size of each of
> these files would mean the same as setting a disc quota for the repository.
> Presumably this is not what you want....

Yes, it is not what I want.  Because by disc quota the db files could
not grow anymore this would, in fact, cancel work.

Posted by Erik Huelsmann <e....@gmx.net>.
Hi Lucas,

> is there any possibility to limit the size of single db-files within
> repositories such that they get split into several files when they
> reach this limit?

Only by setting disc quota, since ...

> For example:
>
>     db!65> du -msc * | sort -n
>     1       DB_CONFIG
>     1       __db.001
>     1       __db.002
>     1       __db.003
>     1       __db.004
>     1       __db.005
>     1       copies
>     1       log.0000002738
>     1       revisions
>     1       transactions
>     1       uuids
>     2       log.0000002737
>     15      representations
>     30      nodes
>     55      changes
>     1426    strings
>     1528    total

... there will be only one instance of copies, revisions, transactions,
representations, nodes, changes and strings. Limiting the size of each of
these files would mean the same as setting a disc quota for the repository.
Presumably this is not what you want....

> Can I set a limit of 2 GB for any of the files such that a single
> instance of strings will not grow larger than 2 GB?

Why? Does your system not support Large Files ?

bye, Erik.

Posted by Jeremy Pereira <je...@jeremyp.net>.
I don't think Berkeley DB has any means of splitting files.

The docs say the maximum file size is 2^32 * page_size where the
minimum page size is 512 bytes.  So the minimum maximum file size is 2
Terabytes.  Your file system or kernel may be a limitation, however.

On Apr 19, 2004, at 09:38, Lukas Ruf wrote:

> Dear all,
>

> is there any possibility to limit the size of single db-files within
> repositories such that they get split into several files when they
> reach this limit?
>
> For example:
>
>     db!65> du -msc * | sort -n
>     1       DB_CONFIG
>     1       __db.001
>     1       __db.002
>     1       __db.003
>     1       __db.004
>     1       __db.005
>     1       copies
>     1       log.0000002738
>     1       revisions
>     1       transactions
>     1       uuids
>     2       log.0000002737
>     15      representations
>     30      nodes
>     55      changes
>     1426    strings
>     1528    total
>
> Can I set a limit of 2 GB for any of the files such that a single
> instance of strings will not grow larger than 2 GB?
>
> Thanks for any hint!
>
> wbr,
> Lukas
> --
> Lukas Ruf           | Wanna know anything about raw |
> <http://www.lpr.ch> | IP? -> <http://www.rawip.org> |
> eMail Style Guide: <http://www.rawip.org/style.html>|

Jeremy Pereira
http://www.jeremyp.net