Posted to user@karaf.apache.org by Matt Madhavan <ma...@gmail.com> on 2011/10/16 00:20:16 UTC

Customizing KARAF with my own version of Equinox/Aries/JPA etc

Hello,
My client's target platform is IBM WAS(EQUINOX) and the development tool is
IBM RAD. Its almost impossible to develop in RAD/WAS - Each BLA/ASSET deploy
of EBA takes around 15 mns where us a hot deploy in Karaf takes only
seconds!

Thanks to Andreas I have become a big fan of KARAF.  I have introduced it
here and the developers like it.

My development process I'm proposing involves using Eclipse/KARAF as a
development tools and do the final deploy to WAS.

I want to customize the KARAF so that it looks as close to WAS's Equinox.

I want to use the following bundles/framework in kARAF!
1. Equinox (from IBM WAS)
2. Aries bundles (proabably 0.1.x :( )
3. OpenJPA bundles

Any ideas please?

Thanks in advance!

Matt

Re: Customizing KARAF with my own version of Equinox/Aries/JPA etc

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi Matt,

1. to use Equinox, simple change the karaf.framework property in the
config.properties. Equinox is already shipped in Karaf, you just have to
use it:

karaf.framework=equinox

2. I update the Aries bundles (Blueprint, JPA, JTA, etc) on the trunk.
It depends what you want to update. To update the Aries JPA, JTA, JNDI,
etc, waiting for the update, you can create your own feature. You can
take example on the Karaf enterprise feature and mimic it.

3. OpenJPA already provides a set of bundles (but not yet a feature, I'm
gonna work on it). To start the OpenJPA bundle at startup (with the
correct start level), you can set it in the startup.properties file.
Remember that OpenJPA bundles should be started before the Aries JPA one.
Copy the openjpa bundle in the system repo:

system/org/apache/openjpa/openjpa/2.1.1/openjpa-2.2.1.jar

and set it in the startup.properties

org/apache/openjpa/openjpa/2.1.1/openjpa-2.2.1.jar = 20

Regards
JB

On 10/16/2011 12:20 AM, Matt Madhavan wrote:
> Hello,
> My client's target platform is IBM WAS(EQUINOX) and the development tool is
> IBM RAD. Its almost impossible to develop in RAD/WAS - Each BLA/ASSET deploy
> of EBA takes around 15 mns where us a hot deploy in Karaf takes only
> seconds!
>
> Thanks to Andreas I have become a big fan of KARAF.  I have introduced it
> here and the developers like it.
>
> My development process I'm proposing involves using Eclipse/KARAF as a
> development tools and do the final deploy to WAS.
>
> I want to customize the KARAF so that it looks as close to WAS's Equinox.
>
> I want to use the following bundles/framework in kARAF!
> 1. Equinox (from IBM WAS)
> 2. Aries bundles (proabably 0.1.x :( )
> 3. OpenJPA bundles
>
> Any ideas please?