Posted to dev@shindig.apache.org by Manish Marathe <py...@gmail.com> on 2008/02/15 22:14:58 UTC

Help developing page like iGoogle

Hello All,

I want to develop the landing page of my application like the iGoogle page
with gadgets those can be dragged/dropped/added etc. I believe I can run my
own gadget server by nothing but building shindig and deploying the
gadgets.war on top of tomcat I use for my application.

I want to know the flow of how this works. From my understanding, I need:

1) A gadget server, which will parse the gadget spec file and run the
gadget.

2) A container to deploy the gadgets into.

Now the shindig code has a sample container with some gadgets. I am not sure
its along the lines of what it will be which will make the gadgets
draggable, droppable, addable, deletable etc.

Can someone throw some light on the concept as a whole and how to go about
doing this?

Thanks
Manish

Re: Help developing page like iGoogle

Posted by Zhen Wang <wa...@google.com>.
On Feb 19, 2008 11:29 AM, Manish Marathe <py...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Feb 15, 2008 2:09 PM, Zhen Wang <wa...@google.com> wrote:
>
> > On Fri, Feb 15, 2008 at 1:14 PM, Manish Marathe <py...@gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> > > Hello All,
> > >
> > >  I want to develop the landing page of my application like the iGoogle
> > page
> > >  with gadgets those can be dragged/dropped/added etc. I believe I can
> > run my
> > >  own gadget server by nothing but building shindig and deploying the
> > >  gadgets.war on top of tomcat I use for my application.
> >
> > Yes.
> >

> > >  I want to know the flow of how this works. From my understanding, I
> > need:
> > >
> > >  1) A gadget server, which will parse the gadget spec file and run the
> > >  gadget.
> > >
> > >  2) A container to deploy the gadgets into.
> >
> > You might also need a gadget directory from which users can easily pick
> > gadgets.
>

> True.
>
> >  Now the shindig code has a sample container with some gadgets. I am not
> > sure
> > >  its along the lines of what it will be which will make the gadgets
> > >  draggable, droppable, addable, deletable etc.
> >

> > An iGoogle-like container sample is under development.
>

> Thanks for the info Zhen. Yes even I thought its on-going. Any approximate
> time when it could possibly be available?

Hopefully by the end of this quarter.

Re: Help developing page like iGoogle

Posted by Manish Marathe <py...@gmail.com>.
On Feb 15, 2008 2:09 PM, Zhen Wang <wa...@google.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 15, 2008 at 1:14 PM, Manish Marathe <py...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Hello All,
> >
> >  I want to develop the landing page of my application like the iGoogle
> page
> >  with gadgets those can be dragged/dropped/added etc. I believe I can
> run my
> >  own gadget server by nothing but building shindig and deploying the
> >  gadgets.war on top of tomcat I use for my application.
>
> Yes.
>

> >  I want to know the flow of how this works. From my understanding, I
> need:
> >
> >  1) A gadget server, which will parse the gadget spec file and run the
> >  gadget.
> >
> >  2) A container to deploy the gadgets into.
>
> You might also need a gadget directory from which users can easily pick
> gadgets.

True.

Posted by Zhen Wang <wa...@google.com>.