Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by Laszlo Kishalmi <la...@gmail.com> on 2023/04/02 18:59:25 UTC

Re: Launching an application

You may install a JDK as well

sudo apt install openjdk-17-jdk openjdk-17-source

Posted by John Neffenger <jo...@status6.com>.
On 4/4/23 1:24 PM, László Kishalmi wrote:
> It would be possible to package a downloaded JDK along with the Snap or
> have one downloaded during the install phase. However then comes the
> question: which one?

I actually created a NetBeans Snap package that does just that. It
downloads and connects to the current OpenJDK Snap package automatically
and will even connect to the current Maven Snap package if installed.

The big caveat is that everything runs strictly confined, including
Apache NetBeans, Apache Maven, and the JDK itself. (Gradle doesn't yet
work in a confined environment.) It's public, but unlisted, as I didn't
want to cause confusion with the official package:

Strictly NetBeans Snap (unlisted)
https://snapcraft.io/strictly-netbeans

It's only suitable for developers like me who were freaked out by supply
chain attacks, such as SolarWinds, and want everything strictly confined
from now on. I especially want to strictly confine tools like NetBeans
and Maven that download hundreds of dependencies and plug-ins from all
over the Internet. Details about how to get all the features working are
here:

Strictly NetBeans Repository
https://github.com/jgneff/strictly-netbeans

There is one feature in Strictly NetBeans that I would like to see in
the official Snap package. Strictly NetBeans is available on four
hardware architectures:

   amd64 · arm64 · armhf · i386

Except for a dependency on the GNOME content Snap package, it could have
supported all six architectures:

   amd64 · arm64 · armhf · i386 · ppc64el · s390x

László, is there a way to build on more than just "amd64" for the
official Snap package? I notice that developers on other architectures
(arm64, armhf) are finding and installing mine, I assume just because
mine is available and the official one is not.

John

Re: Launching an application

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.
On Tue, 4 Apr 2023 at 21:24, László Kishalmi <la...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Snap cannot depend on system packages. It may depend on other snaps as
> content packs, however that would only in a sandboxed environment. (We are
> not sandboxed at the moment).

Yes, I was wondering if classic confinement had a way to recommend
dependencies.  Not used Snap much.

Thinking about this, does the Snap use the launcher script directly or
have its own script in between?  eg. the DEB and RPM have something
like https://github.com/apache/netbeans-nbpackage/blob/master/src/main/resources/org/apache/netbeans/nbpackage/deb/deb.launcher.template

We could think about checking for JDK (or netbeans return code) and
using notify-send if needed and available in these?  I guess we could
consider that in the launcher scripts too, but possibly easier in
package-specific wrappers.

> It would be possible to package a downloaded JDK along with the Snap or
> have one downloaded during the install phase. However then comes the
> question: which one?

Or if we wanted really complicated, we could use an API to allow choice?! :-)

Best wishes,

Neil

Re: Launching an application

Posted by László Kishalmi <la...@gmail.com>.