Posted to user@mahout.apache.org by David Boney <li...@semanticartifacts.com> on 2011/11/17 19:05:09 UTC

Austin Hacker Dojo - Big Data Machine Learning

I am interested in starting a hacker dojo in Austin for big data machine learning. We would meet one evening a week to work on coding up Hadoop based machine learning and statistical analysis problems for big data systems. This would be a hacker dojo where the focus is on coding. I can teach and/or provide papers on any algorithms we want to study. I am interested in working with Hadoop, Mahout, and Hama but also I am interested in coding algorithms from scratch to learn about the algorithm implementation issues. Drop me a line if you are interested. If at least three or four people are interested we can have an organization meeting to discuss the group name, finding a location to meet, development environment, setting up a web site, and the agenda for the first couple of months.

Sincerely,
David G. Boney
list@semanticartifacts.com

Re: Austin Hacker Dojo - Big Data Machine Learning

Posted by Isabel Drost <is...@apache.org>.
On 17.11.2011 David Boney wrote:
> If at least
> three or four people are interested we can have an organization meeting to
> discuss the group name, finding a location to meet, development
> environment, setting up a web site, and the agenda for the first couple of
> months.

Just a brief comment: Don't know how much interest in Big Data Machine Learning
there is in Austin - however what did work in Berlin for most meetings I started
in Berlin was to have a more informal gathering at first to figure out how many
people would be interested - and later on decide on web site, agenda etc.

Isabel