Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by km <km...@o2.pl> on 2007/01/12 22:23:59 UTC

normalize-space and cocoon

Hello

I use cocoon 2.1 and tomcat.

I use a lot of xsl with different params. Some of the params I catche with "normalize-space($param)".

I think I can delete all "normalize-space", but bevor I do something like this, I have a question:

Do this function cost a lot of performance? If I delete it, will my application faster?

Thanks
Kris

--
****************************
kmConsulting

Mobil: +49 179 31 53 791
eMail: info@kmconsulting.org
http://www.kmconsulting.org

Re: Re: normalize-space and cocoon

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On 1/13/07, km <km...@o2.pl> wrote:

>...The Problem is, we are looking for a performace -
> my boss think, it can make the application faster....

I doubt removing normalize-space would make a significant difference
in performance, slow XSLT transforms have usually much worse problems
than that (not using keys, inefficient matching patterns, overuse of
xsl:if and xsl:choose, etc.).

Anyway, as with all performance issues you'll need to measure the
difference to find out what's really happening. But your performance
problem is most probably elsewhere.

-Bertrand

Re: Re: normalize-space and cocoon

Posted by km <km...@o2.pl>.
hi

> Hi km,
>
> On Jan 12, 2007, at 1:23 PM, km wrote:
>

> > I use a lot of xsl with different params. Some of the params I catche
> > with "normalize-space($param)".
>
> Why?  Is it your own XSLT that you wrote, or did you inherit it from
> somebody else?

It is a mix from my own stylesheets and stylesheets from somebody else. At the begining I had a problem with values, that I used the normalize-space.

> > I think I can delete all "normalize-space",
>
> Why do you think you can delete them all?

I will do this one after another, with test between. The Problem is, we are looking for a performace - my boss think, it can make the application faster.

> > but bevor I do something like this, I have a question:
> >
> > Do this function cost a lot of performance?
>
> no
>
> > If I delete it, will my application faster?
>
> it won't make your app run significantly faster, no.

thanks.

****************************

Posted by Mark Lundquist <ml...@wrinkledog.com>.
Hi km,

Posted by Alfred Nathaniel <an...@apache.org>.
On Fri, 2007-01-12 at 22:23 +0100, =?UTF-8?Q? km ?= wrote:
> Hello
>
> I use cocoon 2.1 and tomcat.
>
> I use a lot of xsl with different params. Some of the params I catche with "normalize-space($param)".
>
> I think I can delete all "normalize-space", but bevor I do something like this, I have a question:
>
> Do this function cost a lot of performance? If I delete it, will my application faster?
>
> Thanks
> Kris

I doubt it.  But why don't you just try and tell us the result?

Cheers, Alfred.