Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Cameron Hart <ca...@nzqa.govt.nz> on 2003/03/03 05:56:50 UTC

Tomcat 4.1.18 crashes on Win2K

Hi,

We recently deployed our organisations new web site on Covalent Apache
Faststart 2.3 (Apache 2.0.44) and Tomcat 4.1.18 on two Windows 2000
boxes connected using mod_jk 1.2.2-beta-1 on the Covalent box and
CoyoteConnector with the JkCoyoteHandler protocol handler on the Tomcat
box. We are using Sun's J2SDK 1.4.1_01 for our JVM.

Ever since we launched the site we have been having serious stability
problems with Tomcat and occasional Covalent problems. When a crash
occurs the Tomcat process disappears completely without a trace. We
cannot find anything in the logs that suggests what caused the crash.
The crashes occur with more regularity the traffic the server gets. At
it's worst Tomcat has fallen over every 30 minutes, at it's best it has
stayed up overnight. We have spent over a week trying to solve this
problem with no success. We have noticed some patterns. Over time,
Tomcat's connections increase, at some point in time Tomcat appears to
stop releasing its connections (we can see them building up using
netstat which shows the socket connection as established). Eventually
Tomcat runs out of connections and eventually crashes.

Our CoyoteConnector is set to have 600 maxConnections.

I've seen similar problems posted to this list but nothing quite the
same as our setup. We are pretty stumped by this, any help solving it
would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Cam.

P.S. Sorry about the enormous sig that gets attached to my email!

This email may contain legally privileged information and is intended only for the addressee. It is not necessarily the official view or
communication of the New Zealand Qualifications Authority. If you are not the intended recipient you must not use, disclose, copy or distribute this email or
information in it. If you have received this email in error, please contact the sender immediately. NZQA does not accept any liability for changes made to this email or attachments after sending by NZQA.

All emails have been scanned for viruses and content by MailMarshal.
NZQA reserves the right to monitor all email communications through its network.