Posted to log4net-user@logging.apache.org by David Bicking <Da...@thehartford.com> on 2007/11/27 15:37:07 UTC

batching log entries until exception

Hello,

I searched the list for this information, but I think my use case is a bit
obscure.  I am researching Log4Net as a possible plug-in logger for our
software.  We would like to have or create an unusual feature.

We would like to collect log entries in memory during a discrete scope.  In
our case, this would be an ASP.NET request.  We want to hold onto these logs
in memory until either the request completes or an exception occurs.  We
want to output all the batched logs if an exception occurs, and discard the
ones that don't pass the normal filters if there were no errors.

Has anyone done something like this with Log4Net?  Do you have suggestions
on how I might implement this using Log4Net?

--
David Bicking

Re: batching log entries until exception

Posted by David Bicking <Da...@thehartford.com>.

David Bicking wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I searched the list for this information, but I think my use case is a bit
> obscure.  I am researching Log4Net as a possible plug-in logger for our
> software.  We would like to have or create an unusual feature.
>
> We would like to collect log entries in memory during a discrete scope.
> In our case, this would be an ASP.NET request.  We want to hold onto these
> logs in memory until either the request completes or an exception occurs.
> We want to output all the batched logs if an exception occurs, and discard
> the ones that don't pass the normal filters if there were no errors.
>
> Has anyone done something like this with Log4Net?  Do you have suggestions
> on how I might implement this using Log4Net?
>
> --
> David Bicking

I just discovered the BufferingForwardAppender in the SDK, and I think this
might be part of what I need.  I'm exploring this now, but I still want your
input to my original message.

Thanks!
--
David Bicking