Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Daniela Rivas <dr...@infocentro.gob.ve> on 2011/01/10 17:20:03 UTC

I can not browsing a subversion webpage

Hi everyone

I am installing and configuring a subversion repository and I have some
problems doing that.
When I am trying to see the page in a browser, I get the directories
trunk, branches, tags; so I don't get the index.html file that i have
inside trunk.

I am new setting up this and a project at work is waiting for that.

I use apache 2.2 and debian 5.0.4

Can yo help me with that?

Thanks in advance

Daniela

Re: I can not browsing a subversion webpage

Posted by Nico Kadel-Garcia <nk...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Jan 10, 2011 at 5:06 PM, Daniela Rivas <dr...@infocentro.gob.ve> wrote:
> Well, I think, I am trying to configure WebDav to see the files in the
> repositories properly and not as a plain text, so If I have and html file I
> could see the execution and not the plain text with the tags.

mod_dav, which is what WebDAV on Apache uses, is not equal to
mod_dav_svn, which provides Subversion repository access on top of the
WebDAV protocol, . Set it up as a different URL with a different
configuraiton, based on "Location" or "Alias", or with another
configuration to separate the two functions.

This *can* work to allow you to access a repository via Subversion or
even directly with WebDAV for content editing and logging of changes,
and viewing the active webpage by a separate means. I've in fact tone
this, but it's fairly tricky to get just right.

Re: I can not browsing a subversion webpage

Posted by Les Mikesell <le...@gmail.com>.
On 1/10/2011 4:06 PM, Daniela Rivas wrote:
> Well, I think, I am trying to configure WebDav to see the files in the
> repositories properly and not as a plain text, so If I have and html
> file I could see the execution and not the plain text with the tags.
>
> I don't know if the problem is in the virtual host or in the module
> dav_svn.conf
>
> I have tried a lot ot of configurations and now i am more confused than
> before.
>
> Any help,please

It's not supposed to work that way.  It is intended to be used as the
target of a subversion client for subversion operations (check out,
commit, update, etc.).   You don't use the repository directly like you
do unversioned copies of the files.  If the content under version
control is a web site, check out/update a working copy elsewhere under a
directory handled by a web server.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell@gmail.com

Re: I can not browsing a subversion webpage

Posted by Daniela Rivas <dr...@infocentro.gob.ve>.

Posted by Les Mikesell <le...@gmail.com>.
On 1/11/2011 3:16 PM, Daniela Rivas wrote:

>> You just need to make sure you set the correct MIME type on everything
>> you add to the repository. You do this by setting the svn:mime-type
>> property. Each .html file needs to have the MIME type "text/html";
>> each PNG image should have the MIME type "image/png", and so on. You
>> can, for example, use "svn propset svn:mime-type text/html index.html"
>> to set the MIME type of the index.html file.
>>
>> You should set up auto-props in your Subversion config file so new
>> files you add automatically get these properties, but this only
>> applies to new files; for your existing files, you'll either have to
>> go through and set the MIME type of each by hand, or there exists a
>> script you can use to apply your current auto-props rules to your
>> existing files.
>
> Hi,
>
> After I have done a svn commit command in a working copy, how can i do
> to update the repository or that it is not supposed to happen? Because
> when I tried to browser it after that i see the same page i had before.

If you are looking at a directory like /trunk, you should see the
revision number update after a commit.  If not, maybe the browser is not
updating its cached page.  If you want to see the versioning better
through a browser you could install viewvc.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell@gmail.com

Re: I can not browsing a subversion webpage

Posted by Daniela Rivas <dr...@infocentro.gob.ve>.
Ryan Schmidt wrote:
> On Jan 10, 2011, at 10:35, Andy Levy wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Jan 10, 2011 at 11:20, Daniela Rivas wrote:
>>
>>> I am installing and configuring a subversion repository and I have some
>>> problems doing that.
>>> When I am trying to see the page in a browser, I get the directories trunk,
>>> branches, tags; so I don't get the index.html file that i have inside trunk.
>>>
>> If I understand you correctly, you're expecting index.html to be
>> served to your browser when you browse to the directory containing it?
>>
>> You're not supposed to. The Subversion repository browser is not
>> intended to allow you to serve files directly as a website, and
>> depending on your web content it won't work at all. If you need to
>> serve a website using the contents of a repository, see
>> http://subversion.apache.org/faq.html#website-auto-update .
>>

> The website auto-update FAQ is good to read, and is indeed necessary if your web site is composed of scripts (in PHP, ASP, Java, Python, Ruby, Perl, etc.) that need to be processed by the server. However, if your web site is just pre-generated HTML, created by hand or in a graphical web site editor (like DreamWeaver, RapidWeaver, GoLive, iWeb, etc.) then there's no reason why Subversion can't serve it up for you. You wouldn't want to do so for a production web site as it would be very slow, but for development purposes, it can be fine.
>
> You just need to make sure you set the correct MIME type on everything you add to the repository. You do this by setting the svn:mime-type property. Each .html file needs to have the MIME type "text/html"; each PNG image should have the MIME type "image/png", and so on. You can, for example, use "svn propset svn:mime-type text/html index.html" to set the MIME type of the index.html file.
>
> You should set up auto-props in your Subversion config file so new files you add automatically get these properties, but this only applies to new files; for your existing files, you'll either have to go through and set the MIME type of each by hand, or there exists a script you can use to apply your current auto-props rules to your existing files.

Hi,

After I have done a svn commit command in a working copy, how can i do
to update the repository or that it is not supposed to happen? Because
when I tried to browser it after that i see the same page i had before.

Thanks

Re: I can not browsing a subversion webpage

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.

Posted by Andy Levy <an...@gmail.com>.