Posted to users@nifi.apache.org by David Early <da...@grokstream.com> on 2022/04/18 21:07:05 UTC

Re[4]: Minifi and ssl config on NiFi

Lars,

Thank you, this sent me in the direction I think I needed to go.

One other issue we have is that as this is internal, we are using self
signed certs both for remotes and the cloud central.  This has worked in
the past for small setup, but with possibly 10x the number of remotes,
we were concerned.

Your response led me to this:

https://arminreiter.com/2022/01/create-your-own-certificate-authority-ca-using-openssl/

and other like it.

That addresses having to manage multiple certs at the core.  Now I just
have to do one CA cert.

But I am still assuming that I have to have a USER for each remote
MiNiFi defined in my core NiFi to allow for the correct assignment to
policies for the inbound ports from the remotes.  All I can find is that
a user MUST be configured based on the cert being used so that the
remote node can access the services.

One item I am wondering about (since I am doing self signed anyway) is
using a SAN cert for the remotes with a single owner and issuer and
therefore in theory a single USER that could be configured in the core
NiFi.  The SAN cert has some appeal because I could create some
subgroups and do policies on each of these subgroups but not have to
have one user per remote.

Am I missing something on the user issue?

Thanks all for the help.  As may be obvious, this is a bit of cross of
NiFi and SSL knowledge and I am weak on SSL.

Dave