Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by James CE Johnson <jc...@tragus.org> on 2002/08/22 16:40:50 UTC

Status of latka?

Hi,

I looked at Latka some time ago and just returned to it again today. It's
a bit disturbing that the latest release is dated last September... Is it
dead? If not, then how should I get started?

Re: Status of latka?

Posted by Morgan Delagrange <md...@yahoo.com>.
Hi James,

Latka's not really stalled, although there hasn't been
a great deal of development this month.  I'd like to
do a release, but we recently converted to a new build
mechanism and haven't quite recovered the ability to
create an entire distribution.  I've been working on
converting the tests in the Watchdog project to Latka,
which should be completed during the upcoming month.
The fact that Latka can now reproduce the same kind of
tests as Watchdog is, in my opinion, a very good sign
of its stablility.  I'd recommend looking at some of
the sample scripts to start.  Also, the preliminary
Watchdog tests are also now available, if you want to
see what a very large set of tests might look like:

http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs/jakarta-watchdog-4.0/latka-scratch/src/distribution/tests/

These tests are interesting, but not quite the way I
would organize a set of tests ultimately.  I think
Watchdog is currently overreliant on golden files,
which are usually overkill IMO.

- Morgan

--- James CE Johnson <jc...@tragus.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I looked at Latka some time ago and just returned to
> it again today. It's
> a bit disturbing that the latest release is dated
> last September... Is it
> dead? If not, then how should I get started?

> For additional commands, e-mail:
> <ma...@jakarta.apache.org>

=====
Morgan Delagrange