Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by Bradford Stephens <br...@gmail.com> on 2008/04/29 22:36:49 UTC

Hadoop Cluster Administration Tools?

Greetings,

I'm compiling a list of (free/OSS) tools commonly used to administer Linux
clusters to help my company transition away from Win solutions.

I use Ganglia for monitoring the general stats of the machines (Although I
didn't get the hadoop metrics to work). I also use ntop to check out network
performance (especially with Nutch).

What do you all use to run your Hadoop clusters? I haven't found a good tool
to let me run a command on multiple machines and examine the output, yet.

Cheers,
Bradford

Re: Hadoop Cluster Administration Tools?

Posted by Yingyuan Cheng <yi...@staff.sina.com.cn>.
sshbatch is a tool simplifying ssh login and cluster management.

http://code.google.com/p/sshbatch/

FYI

--
yingyuan

Ted Dunning 写道:

Posted by Ted Dunning <td...@veoh.com>.

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@apache.org>.
Khalil Honsali wrote:
> I was wondering if any of C3 or Capify offer the capability of doing
> interactive distributed shell (if that ever makes sense), I am thinking of
> the example of Yum's update on fedora, say without the default yes option.

Yum is trouble.  I've been automating some aspects of creating RPMs and
installing them, and yum
  -doesnt return meaningful error codes
  -doesnt actually check machine state to see what things are like
The general discussion on the configuration-management list is that you
can automate rpm install using pure "rpm" command, and check for
installed artifacts yourself, but that yum is essentially not what you
want if you want to stay in control of your machine state.

Khalil -how many machines do you have to look after?

-steve

Author: Ant in Action           http://antbook.org/

Re: Hadoop Cluster Administration Tools?

Posted by Khalil Honsali <k....@gmail.com>.

-

Re: Hadoop Cluster Administration Tools?

Posted by Bryan Duxbury <br...@rapleaf.com>.

Posted by Ted Dunning <td...@veoh.com>.
Great idea.

Go for it.  Pick a  place and start writing.  It is a wiki so if you start
it, others will comment on it.

Posted by Khalil Honsali <k....@gmail.com>.

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@apache.org>.

Posted by Allen Wittenauer <aw...@yahoo-inc.com>.

Posted by Bradford Stephens <br...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@apache.org>.

Author: Ant in Action           http://antbook.org/

Re: Hadoop Cluster Administration Tools?

Posted by Khalil Honsali <k....@gmail.com>.

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@apache.org>.

Author: Ant in Action           http://antbook.org/

RE: Hadoop Cluster Administration Tools?

Posted by Xavier Stevens <Xa...@fox.com>.
We use C3 and it works pretty well.

Posted by Khalil Honsali <k....@gmail.com>.

Posted by Allen Wittenauer <aw...@yahoo-inc.com>.