Posted to dev@drat.apache.org by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com> on 2018/08/23 18:53:31 UTC

feedback on early gui

I just took a look at the Drat gui that was recently released at
http://drat-vm.apache.org:8080/proteus-new/

Here are some comments. Apologies if these are pretty frank, but please
just look at them at observations. They may be helpful. Or not. They may be
ill-informed, but naive eyes are always helpful in my experience.

So ...

1) I couldn't understand a lot of the visualizations because I don't share
enough vocabulary. Some mouse-over hints and definitions would really help
newbies like me.

2) the page seems to refresh pretty often. That makes it really hard to
examine the visualizations. It would be much better to either let me do my
own refreshes or to use a websockets update to avoid big jumps.

3) Does a mime type that contains the word java correspond to java source
code? Why is it a mime type instead of a file type?

4) There are lots and lots of sub-projects. It would help to have some sort
of folding display so I could unfold, for example, accumulo to get to all
the pieces underneath

5) There are lots of mapr projects. It would help a lot to have some kind
of nav ... an alphabet .. a search bar

6) the main page kind of blinks between formats. Why?

[image: image.png]

[image: image.png]

7) the audit page has bar charts. What are they? Why is this called audit?

8) audits usually find some bad stuff. There is usually lots of not bad
stuff and so we need a way to filter down to interesting stuff (namely
stuff we need to fix). It would be nice to be able to hide things that are
all OK.

9) the green bars in the bar charts are "Standards". What does that mean?
What does the length of the bar represent?

10) there is a huge dynamic range in the bar charts. Is there a better way
to show the size of the little bars? Maybe a log scale?

Re: feedback on early gui

Posted by Ahmed Ifhaam <ah...@gmail.com>.
Ted,

Thank you for the comments, we'll update things as faster as we can. please
keep on supporting us.
@chris Yeah noted

Thank you

--
*Ahmed Ifhaam *
University of Kelaniya | MIT '19

Re: feedback on early gui

Re: feedback on early gui

Posted by Chris Mattmann <ma...@apache.org>.
Hey Ted,

I wanted to give you a more detailed reply to your great feedback.

Here goes:

From: Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>
Date: Thursday, August 23, 2018 at 11:54 AM
To: "dev@drat.apache.org" <de...@drat.apache.org>

https://github.com/apache/drat/issues/163

https://github.com/apache/drat/issues/164

Does a mime type that contains the word java correspond to java source code? Why is it a mime type instead of a file type?

See: https://www.iana.org/assignments/media-types/media-types.xhtml

Mime type that contains java is java either in its primary type or sub type field. So since there are no primary types of “java”, but instead things like
text/x-java-src, and things like it, then that’s why there are more than one acceptable type and since we tokenize the types, that’s where the question
comes from I think.

There are lots and lots of sub-projects. It would help to have some sort of folding display so I could unfold, for example, accumulo to get to all the pieces underneath

https://github.com/apache/drat/issues/165

There are lots of mapr projects. It would help a lot to have some kind of nav ... an alphabet .. a search bar

https://github.com/apache/drat/issues/166

the main page kind of blinks between formats. Why?

This has to do with the page refreshing the projects chart a lot due to it being a way to see projects being
analyzed in real time through the visualization. There is probably a way to cut down on this.

https://github.com/apache/drat/issues/167

the audit page has bar charts. What are they? Why is this called audit?

The bar charts are the license counts identified by RAT for each project analyzed.
Because RAT performs an audit of our license repos and DRAT is a distributed, high performance, big-code
way to call RAT on a lot of code.

audits usually find some bad stuff. There is usually lots of not bad stuff and so we need a way to filter down to interesting stuff (namely stuff we need to fix). It would be nice to be able to hide things that are all OK.

Yes, maybe by default only show the “Unknown” license category or somehow highlight the Unknown license category
in a better way: https://github.com/apache/drat/issues/168

the green bars in the bar charts are "Standards". What does that mean? What does the length of the bar represent?

This is RAT terminology. Standards I understand are OSI approved licenses. The length of the bar means the number of files that
are licensed using OSI licenses.

there is a huge dynamic range in the bar charts. Is there a better way to show the size of the little bars? Maybe a log scale?

Good idea. https://github.com/apache/drat/issues/169

Thanks for all the feedback, Ted!

Cheers,

Chris