Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Stephen Colebourne <sc...@btopenworld.com> on 2006/06/10 01:06:59 UTC

Re: [collections] Closure is a really bad name

Stephen Kestle wrote:
> The "Closure" in commons collections is not named well
[snip valid points]
> So, what to do?
> I would propose an interface called Processor. It is more intuitive and
> has many "real world" examples that can anchor the term so that it makes
> sense to the average (and functional!) programmer.

I don't disagree that the name may be inappropriate, or that your
argument is valid. However, this is an old widely used interface that
isn't broken, so changing it seems excessive.

Stephen

Re: [collections] Closure is a really bad name

Posted by Stephen Kestle <St...@orionhealth.com>.
I can see where you're coming from, but I disagree about it not being
broken.  One of the most important parts of development is naming.  For
a flagrant extreme example, if Double was called Float, would it be
broken?  Would people jump up and down about the broken-ness of the
JVM?  But it would do everything that it would be used to do, so would
not be broken.

The only difference here is that Closure is obscure enough that
developers don't even know that their mental programming vocabulary is
being corrupted.

Anyhow, I'm not immediately advocating changing the name.  Just a
subinterface of Closure and potential deprecation.

Ok, I suppose it's never going to be changed.  But PLEASE, when Java 5
becomes the standard, do it then (there's enough of a re-write to merge
it in).  Can a ticket be made for that far off?

*frustrated* - It's just wrong :(

Thanks anyhow

Stephen K

Stephen Colebourne wrote:
> Stephen Kestle wrote:
>> The "Closure" in commons collections is not named well
> [snip valid points]
>> So, what to do?
>> I would propose an interface called Processor. It is more intuitive
>> and has many "real world" examples that can anchor the term so that
>> it makes sense to the average (and functional!) programmer.
>
> I don't disagree that the name may be inappropriate, or that your
> argument is valid. However, this is an old widely used interface that
> isn't broken, so changing it seems excessive.
>
> Stephen

* Stephen Kestle
Software Engineer*

H 2nd Floor, Orion House, cnr Enfield & Mary St, Mt Eden, PO Box 8273,
Auckland, New Zealand
È+64 27 4537 853 (+64 9 638 0600 7+64 9 638 0699
²skestle <callto:skestle> *stephen.kestle@orionhealth.com
<ma...@orionhealth.com> ýwww.orionhealth.com
<http://www.orionhealth.com>

This e-mail and any attachments are intended only for the person to whom
it is addressed and may contain privileged, proprietary, or other data
protected from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the
addressee or the person responsible for delivering this to the addressee
you are hereby notified that reading, copying or distributing this
transmission is prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error,
please telephone us immediately and remove all copies of it from your
system. Thank you for your co-operation.