Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Norbert Hartl <no...@hartl.name> on 2009/01/13 09:19:33 UTC

How to achieve combination of features grouping, scoring...

Hi,

I spent some time on solr in order to figure out what
it can do. I sill have some problems finding the right
way to do my search.

I have a bunch of heterogenous objects that I want to
search. All of these objects belong to an owner. When
a search is issued I like not only to find the individual
objects but the grouped by their owner.

For grouping I didn't find much valuable other than to
do this with a response writer. I tried collapsing but
this is not what I mean. And facets are still something
different. The only thing is the XSLTResponseWriter that
does grouping of stuff afterwards.

What is the best way to achieve this:

- how to group stuff when there are many results to take
  into account
- how to score based on grouped objects. To group with
  the response writer is not hard. But if I want to do
  pagination I like to have the top scored group at the
  top of the results. Is there a way to do so?
- I like to only show the fields that match a query. As
  someone hinted here on the ML doing this with highlighting
  is the only way I found. But then I don't understand that
  I can provide a field list (hl.fl) but this does not take
  a * for every field like some of the other parameters do.

Thanks in advance,

Norbert

Re: How to achieve combination of features grouping, scoring...

Posted by Norbert Hartl <no...@hartl.name>.
On Tue, 2009-01-13 at 09:56 -0800, Otis Gospodnetic wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I don't think you can do any of that with Solr as it exists today.  My feeling is that you might want to model this new functionality/code after what's in SOLR-236, even though it's not the same thing as yours, or after the carrot2 plugin.  I also have a feeling others might like this functionality, too, so if you can generalize and contribute, please consider doing that.

Ok, thanks for the anwser. I had a look at the CollapseComponent.
I'm not familiar with any of the classes in SOLR and there is no
documentation beside the javadocs (no structure, dependency
description of the classes). So while it doesn't look too complicated
to do it takes a lot of time to get into the solr mechanics.
In my project I need something working really quick. So I will
postpone the SOLR discovery for a while.

Norbert

Posted by Otis Gospodnetic <ot...@yahoo.com>.
Hi,