Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Peddireddy Srikanth <pe...@gmail.com> on 2005/07/26 08:33:07 UTC

HTTP/1.1 GZIP compression and its impact on server

Hi all,
Iam planning to turn on the HTTP/1.1 GZIP compression for my
application by setting the compression attribute of http connector.
Iam sure that this will reduce my bandwidth requirements.
But I have a doubt. Is Compressing the responses  will eat away many
CPU cycles and affect my throughput or performance or scalability.

Any one have used this option in production environment and what r the
results(performance etc)

thanx for any info on this .

Regards
Srikanth

Re: HTTP/1.1 GZIP compression and its impact on server

Posted by David Rees <dr...@gmail.com>.
On 7/29/05, Ronald Klop <ro...@base.nl> wrote:

> Compressing images is useless. We compress css and javascript and don't have problems
> with it, but our customers use quite new browsers, because the application doesn't work in
> pre-mozilla/pre-ie-5.5 at all.

I've had problems with compressed css/javascript using Firefox 1.0.6
and seem to encounter occasional problems with IE 6 based on reports
from customers.  My problems seem to occur on SSL sites, Firefox seems
to not load referenced css/javascript files correctly on occasion.
For example, if using Squirrelmail, it seems that the occasionally css
doesn't get loaded correctly in one of the frames and I've seen
similar behavior where a javascript file doesn't get loaded causing
javascript errors.  Hard to reproduce.  I'm guessing it has to do the
combination of content compression and SSL and some timing bugs.

-Dave

Re: HTTP/1.1 GZIP compression and its impact on server

Posted by Ronald Klop <ro...@base.nl>.
Ethernet uses packets of 1500 bytes, this includes some headers. So if your html is smaller than about 1400 bytes your are sending the same number of packets over your network with or without compression. If the size of the html is larger you are winning some packets/sec with compression. But I can't say this saves you some cpu time for not compressing small pages. If the performance of your application depends on these small things you have a very efficient application. ;-) I think you can better spend some time profiling the rest of the application to win in cpu speed.

NB: The ethernet packet size isn't the 'global internet' packet size, but most networks support this size.

Compressing images is useless. We compress css and javascript and don't have problems with it, but our customers use quite new browsers, because the application doesn't work in pre-mozilla/pre-ie-5.5 at all.

Ronald.

Posted by David Rees <dr...@gmail.com>.
On 7/28/05, Peddireddy Srikanth <pe...@gmail.com> wrote:
> can you tell me what would be the ideal page (or image or what ever it
> may be) size over which we can apply compression, so that we dont
> waste resources compressing smaller pages. I think may  be compressing
> each and every page will negate the gains that we achieve by
> compressing.
> Also can you tell me whether it is appropriate to apply compression on
> image files (like .gif, . jpeg etc) as some of image formats are
> compressed already in themselves.

As long as the page is over a few kBytes, it is generally "worth"
compressing.  However, the performance difference for compressing or
not compressing small pages is fairly insignificant so it's easier to
just compress all html content.

I have seen problems with both MSIE and Firefox when serving them
compressed CSS and Javascript files, so I can only recommend that you
serve compressed text/html, text/plain and text/xml.  Don't bother
compressing image files, they should already be compressed.

-Dave

Re: HTTP/1.1 GZIP compression and its impact on server

Posted by Peddireddy Srikanth <pe...@gmail.com>.
thanx for ur help

Posted by Ronald Klop <ro...@base.nl>.

Posted by Tim Funk <fu...@joedog.org>.

Posted by Ronald Klop <ro...@base.nl>.
I'm using this in a 4-node cluster serving about 30 req/s. And didn't really notice any difference in cpu usage. (I think generating my pages use more cpu-power than compressing them.)

Ronald.

Posted by Ronald Klop <ro...@base.nl>.
This is untrue at least in Tomcat 5.

But why don't you try it instead of having discussions about it? Use a network sniffer to check what the server is sending over the wire.

Ronald.

Posted by Peddireddy Srikanth <pe...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Peddireddy Srikanth <pe...@gmail.com>.
thanks for the help