Posted to dev@kafka.apache.org by Colin McCabe <cm...@apache.org> on 2018/09/24 17:29:11 UTC

[VOTE] KIP-339: Create a new IncrementalAlterConfigs API

Hi all,

I would like to start voting on KIP-339, which creates a new IncrementalAlterConfigs API.

The KIP is described here: https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KAFKA/KIP-339%3A+Create+a+new+ModifyConfigs+API

Previous discussion:
https://sematext.com/opensee/m/Kafka/uyzND1OYRKh2RrGba1

best,
Colin

Re: [VOTE] KIP-339: Create a new IncrementalAlterConfigs API

Posted by Rajini Sivaram <ra...@gmail.com>.
Sounds good. Thanks Colin!

Regards,

Rajini

Posted by Colin McCabe <cm...@apache.org>.
Hi Rajini,

Posted by Rajini Sivaram <ra...@gmail.com>.
Hi Colin,

Posted by Colin McCabe <cm...@apache.org>.
Hi all,

Posted by Colin McCabe <cm...@apache.org>.
Hi all,

Posted by Colin McCabe <cm...@apache.org>.
+1 (binding)

Posted by Colin McCabe <cm...@apache.org>.
On Mon, Sep 24, 2018, at 17:49, Ismael Juma wrote:
> Thanks Colin. I think this is much needed and I'm +1 (binding)
> on fixing> this issue. However, I have a few minor suggestions:
>
> 1. Overload alterConfigs instead of creating a new method name. This
>    gives> us both the short name and a path for removal of the deprecated
> overload.
Goid idea.  +1

> 2. Did we consider Add/Remove instead of Append/Subtract?

Hmm.  I guess I was worried that Add might be confused with set.  Append
seems to better suggest adding to a multi-part entry, to me, at least.
Best,
Colin

Posted by Ismael Juma <is...@juma.me.uk>.

Posted by Colin McCabe <cm...@apache.org>.
On Mon, Sep 24, 2018, at 12:18, Gwen Shapira wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 24, 2018 at 12:04 PM Colin McCabe <cm...@apache.org> wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, Sep 24, 2018, at 11:11, Gwen Shapira wrote:
> > > Can you explain more why we can't add "incremental" to the existing API and
> > > then deprecate the old behavior? The "rejected" section says: "We would
> > > also not have been able to deprecate the non-incremental mode." but I'm not
> > > sure why not.
> >
> > Hi Gwen,
> >
> > We talked about this previously.  If we extend the existing API, then we
> can't change the behavior of existing programs, which means that
> non-incremental needs to continue to be the default.  Changing the default
> to incremental would be a breaking change which would silently alter the
> behavior of existing programs.  Also, the actions of append, subtract, etc.
> don't fit in the existing API.
> >

> Got it.
>

> > > Having two APIs "Alter" and "Modify" with slightly different behavior
> that
> > > is not obvious from their name (i.e. would anyone remember which one is
> > > incremental?) seems pretty bad.
> >
> > The KIP doesn't propose having two APIs named "alter" and "modify".  The
> new API is named IncrementalAlterConfigs.
>
> You are right, of course. There are few spots that mention ModifyConfigs
> and that got me a bit confused.

Oh, good point.  I found two typos where it still said "modifyConfigs" in the KIP text and changed it to be "incrementalAlterConfigs" as it should be.

best,
Colin

Posted by Gwen Shapira <gw...@confluent.io>.

--
Gwen Shapira
Product Manager | Confluent

Re: [VOTE] KIP-339: Create a new IncrementalAlterConfigs API

Posted by Colin McCabe <cm...@apache.org>.

Posted by Gwen Shapira <gw...@confluent.io>.
Can you explain more why we can't add "incremental" to the existing API and
then deprecate the old behavior? The "rejected" section says: "We would
also not have been able to deprecate the non-incremental mode." but I'm not
sure why not.

Having two APIs "Alter" and "Modify" with slightly different behavior that
is not obvious from their name (i.e. would anyone remember which one is
incremental?) seems pretty bad. Add the fact that in databases, "alter" is

--
Gwen Shapira
Product Manager | Confluent

Re: [VOTE] KIP-339: Create a new IncrementalAlterConfigs API

Posted by Gwen Shapira <gw...@confluent.io>.
+1

--
*Gwen Shapira*