Posted to dev@sis.apache.org by "Mattmann, Chris A (398J)" <ch...@jpl.nasa.gov> on 2013/06/20 16:37:42 UTC

[DISCUSS] Transition to Git after 0.3? (was Re: shapefile branch)

Hey Travis,

I would strongly urge you to do development on Apache SIS on Apache
hardware.
Github is great; and convenience. But when you commit there, we don't get
email notifications and so forth here and the community loses out (and we
lose
out) on having email records; archives, and other things here that show
work
is going on in SIS.

I have a simple proposal :) You guys are definitely more Git fans now than
SVN fans. Martin D when he originally came onto the project wanted to use
Git, and was more familiar with it, but took great effort to adopt SVN b/c
ASF support for Git at that time was quite limited.

However, with you here now; with Adam; with Martin; and with a number of
other folks contributing (Joe W. are you a Git guy?) that are Git fans,
it's worth revisiting this discussion. However, *after* 0.3 :) Let's
release
that using SVN so we don't hold that off anymore. After 0.3 maybe we can
move to Git if this discussion is favorable. Apache now supports writeable
Git repos (see http://git.apache.org/) and the project's canonical
repository
can be Git. We can still mirror to Github, etc., but the bits (and really
the
work) ought to be happening here at the ASF.

So, discuss please :) FWIW, I'm +1 to move to Git (after 0.3).

Cheers,
Chris

Chris Mattmann, Ph.D.
Senior Computer Scientist
Office: 171-266B, Mailstop: 171-246
Email: chris.a.mattmann@nasa.gov
WWW:  http://sunset.usc.edu/~mattmann/

Posted by Suresh Marru <sm...@apache.org>.
+ 1.

I still like svn for ASF projects but not opposed to git.

Suresh

Posted by "Mattmann, Chris A (398J)" <ch...@jpl.nasa.gov>.
+1, makes sense Martin.

SVN should stay for now, and then maybe later Git if it makes sense.

Posted by Martin Desruisseaux <ma...@geomatys.fr>.

Posted by Travis L Pinney <tr...@gmail.com>.
Thanks!

Posted by Adam Estrada <es...@gmail.com>.
Yeah Yeah Yeah...me too ;-)  +1 from me ;-)

Posted by Joe White <wh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Travis L Pinney <tr...@gmail.com>.
+1 on git after 0.3

Posted by Travis L Pinney <tr...@gmail.com>.
It should be possible.

At the very least you should be able to check out a svn clone from any
github repo

svn co https://github.com/apache/sis

Posted by "Mattmann, Chris A (398J)" <ch...@jpl.nasa.gov>.
Hey Adam,

It's really one or the other unfortunately -- infra doesn't have
the time or resources to keep them in sync (and doesn't really make
sense anyways).

I brought it mostly just b/c I thought it might ease the pension
for folks to go do things at Github when I think they should be
doing them here at the ASF.

Posted by Adam Estrada <es...@gmail.com>.