Posted to user@commons.apache.org by Teck-Hooi Lim <te...@tmsasia.com> on 2003/08/15 06:12:00 UTC

Make Jdk14Logger and Log4JLogger Serializable

Hi,

I have a trivial question. Why Jdk14Logger and Log4JLogger are not made
serializable as suggested by this thread
http://www.mail-archive.com/commons-dev@jakarta.apache.org/msg23546.html

I can understand why Log4J and JDK Logging implementations are not
Serializable. What are the complications involved should we make these 2
classes Serializable?

Thanks.

Pls. advise.

Teck Hooi, Lim
Software Developer
The Media Shoppe Sdn. Bhd.
T06 Jalan Century Square
Blok 2320, 63000 Cyberjaya
Malaysia

Re: Make Jdk14Logger and Log4JLogger Serializable

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.
On Sat, 16 Aug 2003, Craig R. McClanahan wrote:

> On Fri, 15 Aug 2003, Jason Dillon wrote:
>
> > Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2003 14:24:45 +0700
> > From: Jason Dillon <ja...@coredevelopers.net>
> > To: Jakarta Commons Users List <co...@jakarta.apache.org>
> > Subject: Re: Make Jdk14Logger and Log4JLogger Serializable
> >
> > As far as I know the only complications are having the Log cache the
> > log name and then be sure to re-hookup logging when de-serialized.  I
> > did this for JBoss's logger abstraction and it worked well.
> >

> I'm going to work on this for commons-logging today.  It doesn't look
> difficult to make all the standard Log implementations Serializable.

As of tonight's (20030817) nightly build of commons-logging, the Log
implementations for JDK 1.4, Log4J, LogKit, and Avalon loggers, plus the
built-in SimpleLog implementation, are now Serializable.  Unit tests were
also enhanced to exercise this, for the JDK 1.4, Log4J, and SimpleLog
implementations.

> If people have suggestions for functionality improvements, they are less
> likely to get lost if they're entered into the issue tracking system:
>
> http://nagoya.apache.org/bugzilla/
>
> > --jason
> >

> Craig McClanahan

Craig

Re: Make Jdk14Logger and Log4JLogger Serializable

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.
On Sat, 16 Aug 2003, Craig R. McClanahan wrote:

> On Fri, 15 Aug 2003, Jason Dillon wrote:
>
> > Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2003 14:24:45 +0700
> > From: Jason Dillon <ja...@coredevelopers.net>
> > To: Jakarta Commons Users List <co...@jakarta.apache.org>
> > Subject: Re: Make Jdk14Logger and Log4JLogger Serializable
> >
> > As far as I know the only complications are having the Log cache the
> > log name and then be sure to re-hookup logging when de-serialized.  I
> > did this for JBoss's logger abstraction and it worked well.
> >

> I'm going to work on this for commons-logging today.  It doesn't look
> difficult to make all the standard Log implementations Serializable.

As of tonight's (20030817) nightly build of commons-logging, the Log
implementations for JDK 1.4, Log4J, LogKit, and Avalon loggers, plus the
built-in SimpleLog implementation, are now Serializable.  Unit tests were
also enhanced to exercise this, for the JDK 1.4, Log4J, and SimpleLog
implementations.

> If people have suggestions for functionality improvements, they are less
> likely to get lost if they're entered into the issue tracking system:
>
> http://nagoya.apache.org/bugzilla/
>
> > --jason
> >

> Craig McClanahan

Craig

Re: Make Jdk14Logger and Log4JLogger Serializable

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.
On Sat, 16 Aug 2003, Craig R. McClanahan wrote:

> On Fri, 15 Aug 2003, Jason Dillon wrote:
>
> > Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2003 14:24:45 +0700
> > From: Jason Dillon <ja...@coredevelopers.net>
> > To: Jakarta Commons Users List <co...@jakarta.apache.org>
> > Subject: Re: Make Jdk14Logger and Log4JLogger Serializable
> >
> > As far as I know the only complications are having the Log cache the
> > log name and then be sure to re-hookup logging when de-serialized.  I
> > did this for JBoss's logger abstraction and it worked well.
> >

> I'm going to work on this for commons-logging today.  It doesn't look
> difficult to make all the standard Log implementations Serializable.

As of tonight's (20030817) nightly build of commons-logging, the Log
implementations for JDK 1.4, Log4J, LogKit, and Avalon loggers, plus the
built-in SimpleLog implementation, are now Serializable.  Unit tests were
also enhanced to exercise this, for the JDK 1.4, Log4J, and SimpleLog
implementations.

> If people have suggestions for functionality improvements, they are less
> likely to get lost if they're entered into the issue tracking system:
>
> http://nagoya.apache.org/bugzilla/
>
> > --jason
> >

> Craig McClanahan

Craig

Re: Make Jdk14Logger and Log4JLogger Serializable

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.
On Fri, 15 Aug 2003, Jason Dillon wrote:

> Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2003 14:24:45 +0700
> From: Jason Dillon <ja...@coredevelopers.net>
> To: Jakarta Commons Users List <co...@jakarta.apache.org>
> Subject: Re: Make Jdk14Logger and Log4JLogger Serializable
>
> As far as I know the only complications are having the Log cache the
> log name and then be sure to re-hookup logging when de-serialized.  I
> did this for JBoss's logger abstraction and it worked well.

I'm going to work on this for commons-logging today.  It doesn't look
difficult to make all the standard Log implementations Serializable.

If people have suggestions for functionality improvements, they are less
likely to get lost if they're entered into the issue tracking system:

http://nagoya.apache.org/bugzilla/

> --jason

Craig McClanahan

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@coredevelopers.net>.