Posted to dev@mxnet.apache.org by Roshani Nagmote <ro...@gmail.com> on 2018/05/21 23:16:26 UTC

MXNet issues labeling

Hi,

Some of us here at Amazon as a part of our day job, are triaging Github
issues to find where MXNet users are experiencing difficulty and help the
community focus on those areas. This is done by assigning labels to the
Github issues. We do know that only labeling won’t solve the real problem
but we will expand our scope to also attempt to resolve the issues.
Categorizing issues could also help contributors and maintainers who know a
particular area to pick up the issue and help the user.

Right now, we just manually go through the issues. If they are questions,
we redirect users to start a discussion on discuss forum, find the
appropriate labels and then ask one of the committers to add those labels.
This process is not very smooth as its completely manual and every time we
need to ask committers to add labels.

We want to be able to automate/simplify this issue labeling process.
Right now, as far as I know, there's no way for non-committers to add
labels. So, I want to propose two options:

- Using a separate account having minimum permissions to run the bot script
which will do the labeling. For this, we will need an account to be created
from Apache infrastructure with proper access and they can control the
access for the account through
https://docs.aws.amazon.com/secretsmanager/latest/userguide/intro.html

- Using one of the committers auth token to run the script.

Please let me know if you have any other ideas to do this.

Thanks,
Roshani

Re: MXNet issues labeling

Posted by Marco de Abreu <ma...@googlemail.com.INVALID>.
Mentors, do you know if it is possible to get a bot account with these
restricted permissions? I know that previous requests have been declined by
Apache Infra. Shall we try it again or how shall we continue moving forward?

-Marco

Re: MXNet issues labeling

Posted by Qing Lan <la...@live.com>.
Hi All,
I would like to quote this:
```

Re: MXNet issues labeling

Posted by Roshani Nagmote <ro...@gmail.com>.

Re: MXNet issues labeling

Posted by Roshani Nagmote <ro...@gmail.com>.

Re: MXNet issues labeling

Posted by "Jin, Hao" <hj...@amazon.com>.

Re: MXNet issues labeling

Posted by Marco de Abreu <ma...@googlemail.com>.
Haha, Aaron could work in marketing - AI solves everything! :P

But yeah, a bit more details would be good. As an alternative approach, I'd
like to propose a bot that does actions on your behalf. In this case, we
could have a bit that listens for comments and (based on a whitelist), it
would apply labels if certain contributors commented and requested the
labels to be assigned. I know that this still involves manual work, but it
would greatly reduce the round trip time since the bot would assign them
instantaneously. This means, the only difference for contributors would be
to make a comment instead of pressing the "labels" button. Would this
solution also be feasible?

-Marco

Re: MXNet issues labeling

Posted by Anirudh <an...@gmail.com>.

Re: MXNet issues labeling

Posted by Aaron Markham <aa...@gmail.com>.
AI obviously.

Re: MXNet issues labeling

Posted by Anirudh <an...@gmail.com>.
Hi Roshani,

Re: MXNet issues labeling

Posted by Naveen Swamy <mn...@gmail.com>.

Re: MXNet issues labeling

Posted by Qing Lan <la...@live.com>.
Great topic! Vote for Option 1
Labelling and problem triaging process should be a lot simpler for all developers and bring less load to committers.

Thanks,
Qing

    --
    Sandeep Krishnamurthy