Posted to dev@ofbiz.apache.org by David E Jones <da...@hotwaxmedia.com> on 2009/01/23 11:41:45 UTC

Security Issues

Hello all.

I'm actually a little surprised we're still where we are on this, so
I'm putting some time into this... understanding that it will annoy as
many people as it pleases (at first anyway...).

In order to address various XSS and XSS-like security threats, I'd
like to get some real and comprehensive stuff in place. Right now
there are super-easy attacks that can be done, like putting JavaScript
in a field during checkout that gets executed when a CSR (or anyone
using the Order Manager) looks at the order, or someone looks at it in
the Party Manager or wherever. That script can grab the session id and
send it to a URL for session hijacking, or it can directly perform
some action like marking the order as paid offline or creating a new
admin account or changing the users password or whatever. The script
could do anything the poor back-end user has access to do, and that's
just an example.

The best issues on this are:

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OFBIZ-1959 (newer one, good
review of OFBiz security and applicable comments, good tips to resolve)
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OFBIZ-260 (the old/original one,
including my silly comment on it)

We have some simple code that does escaping for HTML chars, but it's
not really used anywhere. Anyway, I think we need something more
robust and comprehensive, especially given the fun ways of getting
around filters and other things presented here:

http://ha.ckers.org/xss.html

What I'd like to do is add the OWASP ESAPI library, which is BSD
licensed. There is a nice presentation about it as well here:

http://code.google.com/p/owasp-esapi-java/

and JavaDocs here:

http://owasp-esapi-java.googlecode.com/svn/trunk_doc/index.html

======================================

So, there's a tool, now how/where to use it in OFBiz...

I think this will require a fair bit of work, and I know I'll miss
things that are important in this first pass, but we can do some
things to take care of the more obvious problems:

1. validate input: consider not allowing HTML in any field by default,
and require an attribute set on service attributes or possibly even
entity fields to say that restricted/safe HTML is allowed, or any HTML
is allowed; this will break some things that actually need HTML
initially, but fixing the broken things once found will be really easy

2. encode output: just in case HTML chars do get in somehow, we want
to encode them so they are displayed literally and not interpreted as
HTML by the browser; this will help avoid problems with messing up
formatting when HTML is present, as well as helping with this security
problem; this is easy to do in the various widgets (Screen, Form,
Tree, Menu), and is tougher in FTL files if we want it encoded by
default instead of manually using ?html on every field we want
encoded, and I'd rather use the ESAPI encoder than the FTL one too;
since much of this data is displayed right out of GenericValue
objects, one possible solution is to change the GenericValue.get
methods to do this encoding, and add a new get method that will not do
encoding; this would handle the situations where the GenericValue is
treated like a Map; this may also cause some crazy stuff to happen in
places where gets are used in services and such and not in the UI...
but I'm still thinking that through and am not sure if it will be a
problem... it is kind of using bomb to swat a fly so collateral damage
is likely

3. consider adding a token that is required for all requests in a
session except the first one, use a constantly changing token, and
have it added by the URL writing stuff based on a value in the
session; this would change on every request, which is a pain because
it means that any page in someone's browser other than the most
recently rendered one would not work (a problem we have with the
externalLoginKey stuff) unless we keep a certain number of the most
recent tokens in the session and allow any of the last 10 or 20 or
something to be used

4. related to #3, and relevant whether or not we do #3, add a unique
token to all rendered forms and require that when processing the form
input; if we only allow the tokens to be used once this also fits the
common pattern used for eliminating accidental multiple submissions of
the same form; this could be done easily with the Form Widget and the
ServiceEventHandler (or perhaps all of the event handlers...), and
more manually supported in other places like FTL forms; this would
require some configuration, and again the annoying part is to cover as
much as possible we would want this on by default which may cause
problems for some things which would then need to changed to support
it or disable it for that particular form and/or event

====================================

I'm really interested in hearing what others have to say about these.
Personally I've avoided most of these types of things because they
always tend to cause a dozen problems for every problem they solve.
I've mentioned some concerns, but there are many more. Some issues may
just make the application less usable because of restrictions on being
able to do things like use the back button (IMO supporting that is a
critical part of any web app that is worth anything) or having a bunch
of false positives for security errors because of some funny scenario
that was not anticipated (and this isn't an if thing, it's a when and
how often thing).

-David

Re: Security Issues

Posted by euronymous <mi...@gmail.com>.
Hi David

I'm Michele Orrù, the one who published on you jira the issue you mentioned:

Basically we are using Ofbiz trunk in our projects, when we need to build
ecommerce, crm, facility management and so on: we also developed a few
customization (for example to be able to download a bunch of digital
products as a single zipped one (a work that required song track bundles),
some customization and issue solving of JMS related funzionalities, and
security).

I'm a penetration tester, more for passion than for work: I already helped
other companies such as Konakart to secure their products ( take a look at
my blog:
http://antisnatchor.com/2008/12/22/konakart-2260-responsible-disclosure/ ).
Security (intended as Web Application Security, not Role Based one) in Ofbiz
is not so "high" as you mentioned in your complete post, and as I mentioned
in my jira ticket.

Now, the right thing to do as I said, and as you accepted (I'm glad for
this), is to integrate the filtering functionality of ESAPI inside Ofbiz. It
will not be so easy, because Ofbiz structure is so huge and vast, but the
points you cited in your post regarding XSS and XSRF protection are OK, from
a security point of view.

I was thinking to proceed in two ways, when I will have a bit of time: first
implement a servlet filter that we can declare in web.xml that validates
input BEFORE an eventually malicious request can reach the application
surface. In this way a user can choose if implement the filter in every
ofbiz application, or just leave ofbiz without it. Second idea, research
where to put the validation code of ESAPI and integrate it in Ofbiz. Maybe
UtilHttp can extend ESAPI DefaultEncoder to protect from XSS: I need time to
look at this solutions, and from a few days I'm researching it. Maybe we can
exchange some ideas to finally secure Ofbiz from web security threats.

Output encoding is useful but can be implemented in a second moment, because
if we filter in a good way the input, output should not be malicious. XSRF
protection trough random token it will be maybe the most difficult part, and
I think your proposal of store a number n of last tokens is not a good
solution, because it only minimize XSRF (without actually eliminating it)
restricting the attack window time.

Last thing: you're right when you speak about "I've avoided most of these
types of things because they
always tend to cause a dozen problems for every problem they solve." or
"having a bunch
of false positives for security errors because of some funny scenario
that was not anticipated (and this isn't an if thing, it's a when and
how often thing). ".....your points are correct, but the main point is that
we (as Ofbiz users/developers) cannot leave Ofbiz in such an "insecure"
state. Ofbiz is really an application that can change the market, and
improving his security to maximum levels is definitely needed, and maybe an
urgent TO-DO.

As I wrote here (I'm nickname: euronymous):
http://sla.ckers.org/forum/read.php?3,25331,25334#msg-25334  there are a lot
of production websites created with Ofbiz that are vulnerable to every
attack I described in the jira issue: if we don't integrate security
functions, almost no one is gonna put something like an application firewall
in front of it in production.

Said this...I'm gonna research a bit about ESAPI integration.

Looking forward for your thoughts

Have a good weekend.

Michele

Re: Security Issues

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@hlmksw.com>.
David E Jones wrote:
> 1. validate input: consider not allowing HTML in any field by default,
> and require an attribute set on service attributes or possibly even
> entity fields to say that restricted/safe HTML is allowed, or any HTML
> is allowed; this will break some things that actually need HTML
> initially, but fixing the broken things once found will be really easy

+1

> 2. encode output: just in case HTML chars do get in somehow, we want to
> encode them so they are displayed literally and not interpreted as HTML
> by the browser; this will help avoid problems with messing up formatting
> when HTML is present, as well as helping with this security problem;
> this is easy to do in the various widgets (Screen, Form, Tree, Menu),
> and is tougher in FTL files if we want it encoded by default instead of
> manually using ?html on every field we want encoded, and I'd rather use
> the ESAPI encoder than the FTL one too; since much of this data is
> displayed right out of GenericValue objects, one possible solution is to
> change the GenericValue.get methods to do this encoding, and add a new
> get method that will not do encoding; this would handle the situations
> where the GenericValue is treated like a Map; this may also cause some
> crazy stuff to happen in places where gets are used in services and such
> and not in the UI... but I'm still thinking that through and am not sure
> if it will be a problem... it is kind of using bomb to swat a fly so
> collateral damage is likely

What about having an FTL decorator class for GenericValue that does
escaping? That would be a simple modification to FreeMarkerWorker.java.

-Adrian

Re: Security Issues

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
+1, easy just have to refer to the main one to check, ie https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OFBIZ-1525

Jacques

From: "Adrian Crum" <ad...@hlmksw.com>

Re: Security Issues

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@hlmksw.com>.

Re: Security Issues

Posted by euronymous <mi...@gmail.com>.
Thank you David.

I didn't know the existence of this Atlassian product :) ahah

I was browsing trough ViewVC, even if it was not so comfortable...
Thanks a lot. I will keep you informed.

Michele Orrù

Re: Security Issues

Posted by David E Jones <da...@hotwaxmedia.com>.

Re: Security Issues

Posted by euronymous <mi...@gmail.com>.

David E Jones-3 wrote:

> I'll try to look at that in the next day or two. It is probably a
> place that doesn't uses the common tools and so gets around these
> somehow...

David

I'm asking you a favour :)

I'm analyzing all about your ESAPI/AntiSamy impementation.
Let me understand better: all the files where you put your
changes/integrations
are traced in revisions 741857 and 742352?

Let me know if I'm missing some classes that are not listed in these two
commits:
I'm really interested about knowing exactly where did you put the code, to
better
understand Ofbiz internal architecture and how did you integrate esapi.

Thank you David

All the best

Michele Orrù

Re: Security Issues

Posted by David E Jones <da...@hotwaxmedia.com>.

Re: Security Issues

Posted by euronymous <mi...@gmail.com>.

David E Jones-3 wrote:

> 2. security vulnerability tests: now we want to hit the public facing
> (ecommerce, cmssite, etc) apps and the back-end apps to check as many
> vulnerabilities as we can

See my latest comment. A reflected XSS in latest trunk (partymgr -->
viewprofile --> partyId).

Let me know David

Anyway, really thanks for the time you spent implementing esapi and
antysamy.

All the best

Michele Orrù

Re: Security Issues

Posted by David E Jones <da...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
With my latest commit (rev 742352) I've finished a first pass on a few
things for this. My commit log for that is included below (and has
some important notes).

Now in place are:

1. canonicalization for all incoming parameters
2. encoding of output for all String fields in forms, and for all
String objects in FTL files (use something other than a String object,
like a StringBuffer or something if you don't want encoding)
3. validation of input in the Service Engine to restrict allowed HTML,
with three options for the allow-html attribute including none
(default), safe (antisamy-based), and any (no checking of HTML input)

Which these in place we protect from XSS and related attacks in a few
ways, and most data should be validated in input and encoded on output
so that it is not interpreted by the browser as HTML. This is also a
general good thing as users won't accidently type in characters that
mess up the HTML either.

There is still potential for security holes, especially when the main
(ie best practice recommended) OFBiz tools are not used. Just using
the ControlServlet, the Screen Widget and the Service Engine should
handle most of these issues now (unless someone explicitly disables
these tools).

There are also a bunch of places still where HTML should be allowed,
at least the AntiSamy "safe" HTML, but currently isn't.

I've spent dozens of hours on this stuff now and done a LOT of
testing, but I know there is a lot more testing and refinement to do.
We could use help from anyone listening with the following things:

1. anything that used to work but now doesn't, especially funny text
on screens or complaints about HTML related things
2. security vulnerability tests: now we want to hit the public facing
(ecommerce, cmssite, etc) apps and the back-end apps to check as many
vulnerabilities as we can
3. requests for loosening up in certain places that are now by default
too strict (probably because they haven't been reviewed yet with these
new defaults in place)

Help with these things would be greatly appreciated! Also, thanks for
the help so far from those who have commented and been patient and such.

Going forward, some things I still want to work on are dynamic session
tokens to use in addition to a jsessionid in order to prevent session
hijacking, and also form submission tokens to avoid form hijacking
(just in case XSS slips in, etc) and also to avoid duplicate
submission of forms. As usual when these happen is another question!
Things have been piling up as I pushed on these... :(

-David

==================================
Date: Mon Feb  9 09:34:34 2009
New Revision: 742352

Log:
Added new allow-html tag on the attribute, auto-attribute, and
override elements; has 3 options: none, safe, and any; the comments in
the XSD file describe what each of these do; the important thing to
know is that none is the default meaning no html is allowed; if html
is needed use safe and look at the antisamy-esapi.xml file to see
policy details; in extreme trust cases use any where any html is
allowed; note that many services need updating which should allow at
least safe html, and it may take some time to discover all of those
and get them handled; please send in issues and requests for service
attributes that should allow safe html

Re: Security Issues

Posted by euronymous <mi...@gmail.com>.

jacques.le.roux wrote:

> It seems that's Michele (euronymous) saying <<it only minimizes XSRF
> (without actually eliminating it) restricting the attack window
> time>> has a point there.
> We may lean on his specific (hobby, best ones, with deep motivation ;o)
> knowledge and guide him where/if  he feels so ?
>
> Jacques

Jacques, David, developers...

It would be a pleasure to work on Ofbiz security, from both a developer and
attacker point of view...
It would be a good exercise for me, to deeply understand Ofbiz internals.

Maybe we can share your knowledge in ofbiz core, and my knowledge about web
app security...
If you can point me in the right way, as Jacques said, I will develop the
solution together with you...

Let me know

Michele

Re: Security Issues

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
From: "David E Jones" <da...@hotwaxmedia.com>

> Hello all.
>
> I'm actually a little surprised we're still where we are on this, so  I'm putting some time into this... understanding that it
> will annoy as  many people as it pleases (at first anyway...).
>
> In order to address various XSS and XSS-like security threats, I'd  like to get some real and comprehensive stuff in place. Right
> now  there are super-easy attacks that can be done, like putting JavaScript  in a field during checkout that gets executed when a
> CSR (or anyone  using the Order Manager) looks at the order, or someone looks at it in  the Party Manager or wherever. That script
> can grab the session id and  send it to a URL for session hijacking, or it can directly perform  some action like marking the
> order as paid offline or creating a new  admin account or changing the users password or whatever. The script  could do anything
> the poor back-end user has access to do, and that's  just an example.
>
> The best issues on this are:
>
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OFBIZ-1959 (newer one, good  review of OFBiz security and applicable comments, good tips to
> resolve)
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OFBIZ-260 (the old/original one,  including my silly comment on it)

:D

> We have some simple code that does escaping for HTML chars, but it's  not really used anywhere. Anyway, I think we need something
> more  robust and comprehensive, especially given the fun ways of getting  around filters and other things presented here:
>
> http://ha.ckers.org/xss.html
>
> What I'd like to do is add the OWASP ESAPI library, which is BSD  licensed. There is a nice presentation about it as well here:
>
> http://code.google.com/p/owasp-esapi-java/
>
> and JavaDocs here:
>
> http://owasp-esapi-java.googlecode.com/svn/trunk_doc/index.html

Wooww, with beautiful draws in (see Validator at least) !
Not sure how *ValidCreditCard (did not look into sourec) methods work but interesting...

And a very fast/good presentation (but in PowerPoint :/) here
http://owasp-esapi-java.googlecode.com/files/OWASP%20ESAPI.ppt

A big + 1 (just looked at presentation for now)

> ======================================
>
> So, there's a tool, now how/where to use it in OFBiz...
>
> I think this will require a fair bit of work, and I know I'll miss  things that are important in this first pass, but we can do
> some  things to take care of the more obvious problems:
>
> 1. validate input: consider not allowing HTML in any field by default,  and require an attribute set on service attributes or
> possibly even  entity fields to say that restricted/safe HTML is allowed, or any HTML  is allowed; this will break some things
> that actually need HTML  initially, but fixing the broken things once found will be really easy

+1

> 2. encode output: just in case HTML chars do get in somehow, we want  to encode them so they are displayed literally and not
> interpreted as  HTML by the browser; this will help avoid problems with messing up  formatting when HTML is present, as well as
> helping with this security  problem;

Will not that be a problem in Content Component ?

>this is easy to do in the various widgets (Screen, Form,  Tree, Menu), and is tougher in FTL files if we want it encoded by
>default instead of manually using ?html on every field we want  encoded, and I'd rather use the ESAPI encoder than the FTL one too;
>since much of this data is displayed right out of GenericValue  objects, one possible solution is to change the GenericValue.get
>methods to do this encoding, and add a new get method that will not do  encoding; this would handle the situations where the
>GenericValue is  treated like a Map; this may also cause some crazy stuff to happen in  places where gets are used in services and
>such and not in the UI...

Fritghening...

> but I'm still thinking that through and am not sure if it will be a  problem... it is kind of using bomb to swat a fly so
> collateral damage  is likely

:(

> 3. consider adding a token that is required for all requests in a  session except the first one, use a constantly changing token,
> and  have it added by the URL writing stuff based on a value in the  session; this would change on every request, which is a pain
> because  it means that any page in someone's browser other than the most  recently rendered one would not work (a problem we have
> with the  externalLoginKey stuff) unless we keep a certain number of the most  recent tokens in the session and allow any of the
> last 10 or 20 or  something to be used
>
> 4. related to #3, and relevant whether or not we do #3, add a unique  token to all rendered forms and require that when processing
> the form  input; if we only allow the tokens to be used once this also fits the  common pattern used for eliminating accidental
> multiple submissions of  the same form; this could be done easily with the Form Widget and the  ServiceEventHandler (or perhaps
> all of the event handlers...), and  more manually supported in other places like FTL forms; this would  require some
> configuration, and again the annoying part is to cover as  much as possible we would want this on by default which may cause
> problems for some things which would then need to changed to support  it or disable it for that particular form and/or event

It seems that's Michele (euronymous) saying <<it only minimizes XSRF (without actually eliminating it) restricting the attack window

Re: Security Issues

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
I think any work on these tasks would be greatly appreciated. BTW I don't think any other Jira issue is needed ;o)

If anybody is already working on one of those tasks please chime in ...

Thanks

Jacques

From: "pierre" <pi...@nereide.biz>

Re: Security Issues

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
I took care of it, now it's related to https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OFBIZ-1525
Thanks for your help on this...

Jacques

From: "Philipp Hoppen" <ph...@nowhow.ch>

Re: Security Issues

Posted by David E Jones <da...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
The problem with something really generic and independent like using
ESAPI in this way is that it can't really leverage existing features
and functionality of the framework.

There are various places where we'll want to normalize, validate, and
encode data coming into or going out of the system. The ESAPI library
has good tools for doing those tasks and while we may have to do other
things, the first main task is to use that library in various parts of
the framework to normalize and validate incoming data and encode
outgoing data. The configuration for doing these things should be as
integral to the framework as possible, ie reusing existing settings
that are related and creating new ones (XML element attributes in
entity or service or form or whatever defs) as needed. The general
idea is that this becomes an "everyday" part of the framework and
we're using ESAPI underneath to make it easier to implement, and to
leverage the research and effort they've put into this.

If someone wanted to deploy the ESAPI servlet filter (ie in the
web.xml file) and configure it independently as well then that is
certainly an option. I don't want that to be the core approach because
so much of that configuration would be redundant with things we
already have and use, and would generally not be as automated.

-David

Re: Security Issues

Posted by Philipp Hoppen <ph...@nowhow.ch>.
Hi Pierre