Posted to dev@drill.apache.org by Charles Givre <cg...@gmail.com> on 2018/11/29 15:26:58 UTC

Drill support for SQLPad

All,
There is a really nice open source tool out there called SQLPad.  In addition to executing basic SQL Queries, SQLPad enables to to export results and produce basic visualizations.  Until recently, SQLPad did not support Drill however, I just wrote a first attempt at Drill support which you can download here:

https://github.com/cgivre/sqlpad/tree/drill <https://github.com/cgivre/sqlpad/tree/drill>

Please check it out and let me know what you think.
Best,
— C

Re: Drill support for SQLPad

Posted by Boaz Ben-Zvi <bb...@mapr.com>.
    Just got it to run on my Mac; looks nice (though the results are
flushed to the left, like  55_____  instead of _____55 )

Thanks Charles for making SQLPad work with Drill !

And for anyone else wanting to try (on a Mac), here are the steps used:

$ git clone https://github.com/cgivre/sqlpad.git

$ cd sqlpad/

$ git checkout drill

$ curl -o-
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/creationix/nvm/v0.33.11/install.sh | bash

$ source ~/.bashrc    ### to get the nvm in the path

<< install "node" from https://nodejs.org/en/download/ >>

$ sudo npm i npm -g   ### need sudo for write access to
/usr/local/lib/node_modules

$ npm install ### had some errors, so ran the following

$ npm audit fix ### still has some errors downloading fsevents-binaries

$ npm start

At this point, it opens your browser and connects to localhost:3000 .

Start Drill in embedded mode, and in the browser configure a Drill
connection ( to 127.0.0.1:8048 , don't care about user/password).

Run queries ......

     Thanks,

            Boaz

Re: Drill support for SQLPad

Posted by Charles Givre <cg...@gmail.com>.
And… I just got the JDBC module to work.  Stand by

Re: Drill support for SQLPad

Posted by Charles Givre <cg...@gmail.com>.
@Kunal,

Re: Drill support for SQLPad

Posted by salim achouche <sa...@gmail.com>.
> [...]

> >> do so. I found some node modules for JDBC (
> >> https://www.npmjs.com/package/nodejdbc
> >> https://www.npmjs.com/package/nodejdbc>), but I’m not the world’s best
> >> JavaScript programmer, so it took me a while to hack the current one
> >> together. I’ll have a go at it, now that I “know” what I’m doing.
> >>
> >> Regardless… I think it could be done with what’s out there. SQLPad does
> >> offer a huge improvement over what Drill’s current UI offers and I do
> think
> >> it would be really great to include or borrow code (with appropriate
> >> attribution) from it for the Drill UI. The current UI uses REST anyway,
> so
> >> it wouldn’t be any different.
> >>
> >> I always wonder why the developers of tools like this don’t include
> >> generic interfaces such as JDBC and ODBC rather than building

Salim

Re: Drill support for SQLPad

Posted by Kunal Khatua <ku...@apache.org>.

Re: Drill support for SQLPad

Posted by Charles Givre <cg...@gmail.com>.
Hi Kunal

Re: Drill support for SQLPad

Posted by Kunal Khatua <ku...@apache.org>.

Re: Drill support for SQLPad

Posted by Parth Chandra <pa...@apache.org>.

Re: Drill support for SQLPad

Posted by Charles Givre <cg...@gmail.com>.
Hi Parth,
SQLPad doesn’t currently support JDBC, but I think it could be extended to do so.  I found some node modules for JDBC (https://www.npmjs.com/package/nodejdbc <https://www.npmjs.com/package/nodejdbc>), but I’m not the world’s best JavaScript programmer, so it took me a while to hack the current one together.  I’ll have a go at it, now that I “know” what I’m doing.

Re: Drill support for SQLPad

Posted by Parth Chandra <pa...@apache.org>.

Re: Drill support for SQLPad

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.