Posted to dev@community.apache.org by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com> on 2014/01/29 18:53:27 UTC

A couple of questions on ApacheCon, Denver reviews...

As I am quite new to this process, a few questions --

The closing date for submissions is Feb 1, and it seems notifications will
be sent out by Feb 14. So, what is the due date for completion of reviews?

There are a few submissions -- aside from some standard ASF presentations
-- that are somewhat generic and don't directly apply to a specific Apache
project. So -- who will be reviewing these? Or should anybody that
volunteered for reviewing, review them?

Can more than one reviewer rate a submission and perhaps change the
decision of a previous reviewer? Just curious about this. But it might be
advantageous in some situations to get input from multiple reviewers.

ok, that's it for now...

Kay Schenk, Apache OpenOffice

"Cats do not have to be shown how to have a good time,
 for they are unfailing ingenious in that respect."
                                       -- James Mason

Re: A couple of questions on ApacheCon, Denver reviews...

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.
The system gives us accept/reject rankings. If you want to communicate more
than that, email me. Or call me. I want to have talk selections reflect the
opinion of the subject experts.

--
Rich Bowen - RBowen@rcbowen.com

Posted by Rob Vesse <rv...@dotnetrdf.org>.
Re: Question 2

It was previously stated that people should review anything they have an
interest in
(http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/community-dev/201401.mbox/%3cCAD6
VreuUk=A5GgC2RtbU9EkJhiufMA4eoXr5q4ssau3xmtgjxA@mail.gmail.com%3e) so
hopefully people who are reviewing anyway will review anything they know
enough about to be able to make an informed decision on.

Certainly I've been reviewing proposals for some of the big data talks
that cover areas I felt confident enough to review

Rob

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
Roman

You aren't the only big data reviewer. I at least an in there.  I think that the apparent solitude is a matter of labels.  I labelled myself as mahout, hadoop and zookeeper.  You said BigData.  Same thing. Different words.

Sent from my iPhone

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.
On Sat, Feb 1, 2014 at 11:58 PM, Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com> wrote:

> On 02/01/2014 04:31 AM, Roman Shaposhnik wrote:
>
>> Ok, so we're almost at the finish line as far as review submissions
>> go. At this point my dashboard is saying: "You have 191 proposals
>> unreviewed.". This is pretty good, but raises a few questions:
>>
>>     1. I assume that I can wake up in the morning (PST) tomorrow
>>     and whatever is submitted is it. I'll review the ones that fall into
>>     my domain and then I can go enjoy some nice Californian weather
>>     outside. Now, suppose we end up with more accepted talks than
>>     we have slots in the, lets say, bigdata track. What happens next?
>>

> Based on the sum of the reviews, I'll need to make final selections. In
> the events where it's not obvious what those selections need to be, I'll
> come back to the folks who have indicated that they care about a particular
> track, and clear my selections by you guys.

sounds like a plan...I've "reviewed" items either related to my project or
items I was personally interested in.

>>     2. Obviously I shouldn't be reviewing my own talks, but given that
>>     last time I checked I was the only volunteer in the bigdata space.
>>     What happens to those? Who will be reviewing them?
>>

> There are a lot of people doing general "this looks interesting" reviews,
> including myself. Hopefully this will result in an eventual clear picture.
> If it doesn't, see above.
>
> Meanwhile, I presume that if someone submits a talk, they themselves think
> it's a good talk.

> http://apachecon.com/ - @apachecon

MzK

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.
That's my understanding too. It should be easy enough to test this once i'm
not in an airport any more.

--
Rich Bowen, mobile edition
rbowen@rcbowen.com

Posted by Daniel Gruno <ru...@cord.dk>.

Posted by Rob Vesse <rv...@dotnetrdf.org>.

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <rv...@apache.org>.

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Jan 29, 2014 at 5:07 PM, Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com> wrote:

> On Jan 29, 2014 12:53 PM, "Kay Schenk" <ka...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > As I am quite new to this process, a few questions --
> >
> > The closing date for submissions is Feb 1, and it seems notifications
> will
> > be sent out by Feb 14. So, what is the due date for completion of
> reviews?
>
> As soon as possible. I dont have a better answer. If you haven't reviewed
> by the time I have to make final selections,  I still have to make them
> without.
>

> > There are a few submissions -- aside from some standard ASF presentations
> > -- that are somewhat generic and don't directly apply to a specific
> Apache
> > project. So -- who will be reviewing these? Or should anybody that
> > volunteered for reviewing, review them?
>
> Review everything you have an informed opinion in.
>

> > Can more than one reviewer rate a submission and perhaps change the
> > decision of a previous reviewer? Just curious about this. But it might be
> > advantageous in some situations to get input from multiple reviewers.
>
> Yes.   Hopefully multiple people review each talk so that the opinion is
> cumulative. The more the better.
>
> Review everything in which you have an unformed opinion.

OK, this helps...

MzK

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.