Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Pat Riehecky <pr...@iwu.edu> on 2009/03/12 16:03:07 UTC

The requested resource () is not available?

I have been trying to install a tomcat app onto a fresh Ubuntu box (8.04
tomcat 5.5), but when attempting to view the app's pages I get

HTTP Status 404 -

type Status report

message

description The requested resource () is not available.

Apache Tomcat/5.5

I know this is well before my app starts up, but I haven't a clue what
to do about it.  When I google the error I get dozens of suggestions,
each of which says not to do the other unless I know what I am doing.

I don't.

What doc should I read/what should I do?  What does this mean?
Pat

Re: The requested resource () is not available?

Posted by David Smith <dn...@cornell.edu>.
Caldarale, Charles R wrote:
>> From: Pat Riehecky [mailto:prieheck@iwu.edu]
>> Subject: Re: The requested resource () is not available?
>>
>> Here is the output from catalina
>>

> It's a start, but there's more.
>

>> Mar 12, 2009 2:20:30 PM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext start
>> SEVERE: Error listenerStart
>> Mar 12, 2009 2:20:30 PM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext start
>> SEVERE: Context [/idp] startup failed due to previous errors
>>

> The above is the critical information from the log file you found.  There will be more detailed info in other log files that Tomcat produces.  For a real Tomcat installation (one downloaded from tomcat.apache.org), the log files are in Tomcat's logs directory; if you're using Ubuntu's repackaged version of Tomcat, there's no telling where they are.  Finding the additional info would be very useful.
>
> Since the error refers to listenerStart within the ipd webapp, it looks like some form of listener is misconfigured (or the targeted class file is missing) in the app's WEB-INF/web.xml file.  You may need the author of the webapp to help you out.
>
>  - Chuck

If you can't find any further information in any of tomcat's other
logging files, they may also be stored with the webapp depending on how
the logging environment for your webapp is setup.  I know for instance
Magnolia CMS has it's own logs directory.

--David

RE: The requested resource () is not available?

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.

Posted by Pat Riehecky <pr...@iwu.edu>.
On Thu, 2009-03-12 at 11:17 -0400, David Smith wrote:
> Pat Riehecky wrote:
> > I have been trying to install a tomcat app onto a fresh Ubuntu box (8.04
> > tomcat 5.5), but when attempting to view the app's pages I get
> >
> > HTTP Status 404 -

> > type Status report
> >
> > message
> >
> > description The requested resource () is not available.

> > Apache Tomcat/5.5
> >

> > I know this is well before my app starts up, but I haven't a clue what
> > to do about it.  When I google the error I get dozens of suggestions,
> > each of which says not to do the other unless I know what I am doing.
> >
> > I don't.
> >
> > What doc should I read/what should I do?  What does this mean?
> > Pat
> >

> >...I know this is well before my app starts up...
>
> Ok... I'm confused.  If it's not running yet, why should anything but a
> 404 show up?
It is my understanding that tomcat runs the application, since tomcat
doesn't seem to be happy with my configuration.  I would therefore
conclude that the app isn't running.  If that isn't the way tomcat works
I again offer to ready any docs you suggest.

> In any problem, the first place to look is the logs.  Second is the
> tomcat docs to verify things are setup correctly.  Actually in your
> case, if this tomcat came with Ubuntu, maybe the second place to look is
> the Ubuntu docs for this package.
Perhaps my original post was a bit vague, I have read the ubuntu docs,
the docs that came with this app, and several pages of google results on
googleing the error.

Here is the output from catalina, since I am not a tomcat person, I
haven't a clue if this is one of the logs to which you refer.  If you
can point me towards a resource, I will read it, but I have about 4
hours of java under me right now so specifics are rather key to the
operation.

Mar 12, 2009 2:20:28 PM org.apache.catalina.core.AprLifecycleListener
lifecycleEvent
INFO: The Apache Tomcat Native library which allows optimal performance
in production environments was not found on the
java.library.path: /usr/openwin/lib:/usr/lib:/opt/SUNWspro/lib:/usr/local/lib:/opt/SUNWspro/lib:/lib:/usr/java/packages/lib/i386:/lib:/usr/lib
Mar 12, 2009 2:20:28 PM org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11BaseProtocol init
INFO: Initializing Coyote HTTP/1.1 on http-8180
Mar 12, 2009 2:20:28 PM org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11BaseProtocol init
INFO: Initializing Coyote HTTP/1.1 on http-8443
Mar 12, 2009 2:20:28 PM org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina load
INFO: Initialization processed in 592 ms
Mar 12, 2009 2:20:29 PM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardService start
INFO: Starting service Catalina
Mar 12, 2009 2:20:29 PM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngine start
INFO: Starting Servlet Engine: Apache Tomcat/5.5
Mar 12, 2009 2:20:29 PM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHost start
INFO: XML validation disabled
Mar 12, 2009 2:20:30 PM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext start
SEVERE: Error listenerStart
Mar 12, 2009 2:20:30 PM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext start
SEVERE: Context [/idp] startup failed due to previous errors
Mar 12, 2009 2:20:30 PM org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11BaseProtocol
start
INFO: Starting Coyote HTTP/1.1 on http-8180
Mar 12, 2009 2:20:30 PM org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11BaseProtocol
start
INFO: Starting Coyote HTTP/1.1 on http-8443
Mar 12, 2009 2:20:30 PM org.apache.jk.common.ChannelSocket init
INFO: JK: ajp13 listening on /127.0.0.1:8009
Mar 12, 2009 2:20:30 PM org.apache.jk.server.JkMain start
INFO: Jk running ID=0 time=0/24  config=null
Mar 12, 2009 2:20:30 PM org.apache.catalina.storeconfig.StoreLoader load
INFO: Find registry server-registry.xml at classpath resource
Mar 12, 2009 2:20:30 PM org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina start
INFO: Server startup in 1392 ms

Re: The requested resource () is not available?

Posted by David Smith <dn...@cornell.edu>.
Pat Riehecky wrote:
> I have been trying to install a tomcat app onto a fresh Ubuntu box (8.04
> tomcat 5.5), but when attempting to view the app's pages I get
>
> HTTP Status 404 -

> type Status report
>
> message
>
> description The requested resource () is not available.

> Apache Tomcat/5.5
>

> I know this is well before my app starts up, but I haven't a clue what
> to do about it.  When I google the error I get dozens of suggestions,
> each of which says not to do the other unless I know what I am doing.
>
> I don't.
>
> What doc should I read/what should I do?  What does this mean?
> Pat
>

>...I know this is well before my app starts up...

Ok... I'm confused.  If it's not running yet, why should anything but a
404 show up?

In any problem, the first place to look is the logs.  Second is the
tomcat docs to verify things are setup correctly.  Actually in your
case, if this tomcat came with Ubuntu, maybe the second place to look is
the Ubuntu docs for this package.

After that, we need more information like where things were installed
and what was attempted in what order, ...etc., ...  We can't see over
your shoulder. :-)

--David